SACD help needed

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am trying to get some info on a universal dvd that would stream the sacd signal through the HDMI connection, I know the Oppo dv 980h would but are there any more? Also what multi channel receivers can process this signal? I am swayed to the SONY STRDA2400ES or the DENON AVR1910, are these capable of this? I have a fair collection of sacd's and dont want to give them up. Any ideas? Are there any other universals that will stream the sacd signal through hdmi?

Thanks

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
sueandpat:

I am trying to get some info on a universal dvd that would stream the sacd signal through the HDMI connection, I know the Oppo dv 980h would but are there any more? Also what multi channel receivers can process this signal? I am swayed to the SONY STRDA2400ES or the DENON AVR1910, are these capable of this? I have a fair collection of sacd's and dont want to give them up. Any ideas?

Thanks
My Onkyo 875 accepts DSD over HDMI for SACD, so I imagine newer Onkyo home cinema amps will do the job

A

Anonymous

As a cheaper option, consider some of the Pioneers like the DV610, HDMI enabled and multi-channel SACD, priced if memory serves at around 3120 or so.

F

FunkyMonkey

I agree about the Pioneer advice. I use a Pioneer DV600AV because that outputs a DSD signal without convertign to PCM first. My Onkyo 805 receiver then converts that directly into analogue.

Be careful - subsequent iterations of teh Onkyo amps did nto convert directly from DSD to analogue.

More info on www.sa-cd.net
If you are not bothered about havign a PCM stage between the DSD and analogue stage, then any HDMI 1.2 or later equipped receiver will do the job, i.e. any receiver with HDMI connection and at msot 3 years old.

A

Anonymous

Hi there,

Please explain what sacd means,And why it is important for some, i see it everywhere but not understand content,

sorry for being numbnuts
emotion-10.gif

Feb 9, 2008
Visit site
Super Audio Compact Disc

An increasingly obsolete form of Super CD invented by SONY capable of playing 24 bit sound, and holding 5.1 mixes.

There was a brief format battle with DVD-Audio, but here we are in 2009 and still listening to the original compact disc format, so both lost out and have vanished from the shelves to be the sort of thing you have to order.

The PS3 can play the discs but you'll be hard pushed to buy one in your local Supermarket or HMV. Especially if your not a classical music fan.

One frustration with the format i have found is attempting to get a player to send a signal via hdmi, coax or toslink, i gave up in favour of the analog jacks years ago.

F

FunkyMonkey

TheLastManWithBetamax:Super Audio Compact Disc An increasingly obsolete form of Super CD invented by SONY capable of playing 24 bit sound, and holding 5.1 mixes. There was a brief format battle with DVD-Audio, but here we are in 2009 and still listening to the original compact disc format, so both lost out and have vanished from the shelves to be the sort of thing you have to order. The PS3 can play the discs but you'll be hard pushed to buy one in your local Supermarket or HMV. Especially if your not a classical music fan. One frustration with the format i have found is attempting to get a player to send a signal via hdmi, coax or toslink, i gave up in favour of the analog jacks years ago.

Let's give a fairer appraisal for SACD...

Yes, increasingly obsolete unfortunately. Not through any fault of its own - it just so happened that it launched at the same tiem that people startign pirating music on the internet, and that method of acquiring music prevailed.

Most digital music and sound uses a method of encoding called PCM. Which due its mathematical nature is great for editing music. The downside is that PCM music can sound "clinical" to those who have experienced music in the real world, or on analogue media, e.g. vinyl. The big advantage of SACD on the other hand is that uses a technology called DSD. This is a digital encoding that follows the analogue soundwave very closely. It's a more literal digitisation of teh analogue waveform, but this points to anotehr reason for its demise - it was a new technology and was cumbersome to process in teh recording studio, and it meant that studios had to onvest in new technology...which didn't really pay for itself - once again, due to the prevalance of downloads.

Anotehr technical point is that SACD's liek DVD-A's were able to record and replay sound at above 20kHz (the upper frequency of human hearing). Sunds pointless, but there is scientific, and more importantly, anecdotal evidence from many reviewers, and listeners that this has a significant positive effect on treble in music.

Only the original PS3 60G can play SACD's - in the UK, no other models can. Although 99.9% of SACD's can play on any CD player.

There is no issue sending a SACD signal via HDMI as long as you stick to HDMI 1.2 or above. The onyl issue might be maintaining a DSD stream, as mentioned in my earlier post.

A

Anonymous

Ok thank you , I dont need to confuse myself or worry too much about this as my cd's are more than likely standard compressed sound,

Again thanks for enlightning me

A

Anonymous

Can I just say that I wouldn't write off SACD as a near-obsolete platform just yet? For me, there's a clear future for high-grade music formats in the form of a downloadable option for music you buy. Not yet, of course - consequential to the restrictions on technology (though not likely in the future) mp3 currently rules the roost in one form or another, but I suspect as bandwidth increases that will change to full bitrate eventually, and thence to super-high-bitrate (or similar nomenclature).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts