SACD - 5.1 audio

stevee1966

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
I've a few SACD's which have both stereo and 5.1 mixes on them.

I have a Marantz SACD player (SA7001) which i currently have connected to my Marantz stereo amp (PM7001), so obviously can only listen to the stereo mix of the SACD's on my hi-fi system.

My question is, can my SACD player be connected to my home cinema AV amp to play 5.1 audio (currently have an old Denon - think it's the AVR-1501, but not 100% sure off the top of my head), and if this can be done, more to the point, how does this work, as i'll be connecting via a stereo cable ?

Does the amp automatically convert the stereo signal into 5.1 ?

Thanks

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
stevee1966 said:
The_Lhc said:
If you want to listen to the surround mix you don't connect using the stereo connections, you'd need to use one of the digital outputs.

As simple as that !!!

Well, possibly, I don't know what format the Marantz will output in and whether the Denon AV amp will be able to decode it, you'd need to check your manuals.

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Just checked page 10 of the user manual online and it says that " No signal will be output when a Super AudioCD is played" from the optical digital output on the rear.

hope this helps.

:grin:

T

the record spot

Not at all. Sony and Philips introduced SACD in the late 1990s. Sony heavily licence the use so you'll only hear SACD via analogue or HDMI you won't hear it via optical or coax. Inconveniences aside, on the right player - you have one - and with the right mastering, it's a fabulous format.

Tarxman

Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
For multi channel SACD, you may need to look more towards a Universal Disc Player. For many years, I used the Marantz DV6001 using multi channel analog out to play 5.1 SACDs.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts