admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm about to purchase a Cyrus 8XPDQX with the CDXTSE transport with Spendor A5s. I notice however that Sevenoaks are knocking out the outgoing S8 model for about the same price as the "current" A5 model and wondered whether anyone had experienced both of these speakers with Cyrus kit?

A

Anonymous

The S8e speakers are more laid back in sound than the A5s, partly due to the general voicing of the S series and partly due to the amount of bass they produce. Not that I have any direct experience of the S8s and Cyrus, I would suggest that they may benefit from more grip, i.e. pre-power amp along the lines of XPower or MonoX.

The A5s are sharper sounding (even compared to the S5e) with improved timing, detail and dynamics. Unless you have a large room to fill or a particular penchant for warm bass, my vote would be A5s.

A

Anonymous

OK thanks for the advice guys, which is along the lines I expected. As I dont have a huge room and I'm buying the Cyrus kit because I like how revealing it is, it sounds like the A5s will be the better choice. I will dem the S8e if I get a chance just to be sure, otherwise I think I'll sleep easy at night....

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Andytee: I'm about to purchase a Cyrus 8XPDQX with the CDXTSE transport with Spendor A5s. I notice however that Sevenoaks are knocking out the outgoing S8 model for about the same price as the "current" A5 model and wondered whether anyone had experienced both of these speakers with Cyrus kit?

My experience of Spendor has differed a little from others here.

The whole Spendor range use the same HF unit, but the lower the model, the smoother they sound. Spendor state they've not manufactured them that way, it's just the way they happen to sound after implementing different mid/bass drivers. So basically, the S5e/A5 models are the smoothest of the lot, and the S8e/A6 sounds a little more lively and sweeter with a deeper, bigger bass and fuller midrange, then the S9e is another jump with similar benefits again.

Another benefit of the S8e/A6 is that they're a little more efficient, so won't quite need to be pushed so hard to get a similar volume to the entry level floorstander.

Either will be fine with the Cyrus, but if the room is a through lounge or quite big, I'd go with the S8e/A6.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for that, I'll make sure that I dem the S8e before I take a decision as I have got a through lounge.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts