RX-V1067 Under powered?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi All,

I just switched from a Yamaha E800 and Audiolab 8000a combo to a single Yamaha RX-V1067 setup. I am using Monitor Audio RS6 front speakers, R180 Centre speaker and R45 rear speakers.

My old setup barely seemed to stretch its legs with a seemingly endless amount of power available. The new setup however really seems to have to work hard. A normal movie watching experience would probably be around 75% volume which just seems bonkers.

I was hoping to remove a box and tidy up the AV area a bit but I am thinking maybe I should just bring the Audiolab back in to play. I was going to use it elsewhere in the house.

This Yamaha is only my second AV amp so I don't have anything else to compare it to, should the amp really be working that hard? Will bi-amping the front speakers help?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

A

Anonymous

If your happy with the sound, it don't think it matters how high the volume knob is turned up IMO. Remember movies are authored to played at 0db settting on your AVR which probably about 75%.

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Assuming you have used the Yamaha YPAO setup 1st, have you then used an SPL meter in conjunction with the test signal to set the individual speaker settings to set / confirm the correct levels?

Regards ..

A

Anonymous

H,

Thanks for the replies, I dont have an SPL meter so I cant double check the results. I hadn't realised that 0db was the reference level until you pointed it so thanks. I shall just sit back and enjoy it now.

thanks

A

Anonymous

At a volume level of 0dB your SPL level should be 75 dB(A)at listening position.

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
markjaspi said:
At a volume level of 0dB your SPL level should be 75 dB(A)at listening position.

I do think that is a "rule of thumb" and that the SPL meter should be the one to watch

On my Yamaha I reach 73dB (which is what I trim to) at -14dB, it must also be a function of speaker efficiency.

So Yes, set up to the SPL

A

Anonymous

fayeanddavid said:
markjaspi said:

I do think that is a "rule of thumb" and that the SPL meter should be the one to watch

On my Yamaha I reach 73dB (which is what I trim to) at -14dB, it must also be a function of speaker efficiency.

So Yes, set up to the SPL

It's not a rule-of thumb, it's the industry standard reference level, and any auto EQ system be it Audessy or Ypao or MCACC will be testing the tones at 0dB volume when you hear it run the routine, have a look at the screen next time you run it!

TRENDING THREADS