Running in????

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

The_Lhc said:
AlmaataKZ said:
being honest with yourslef in terms of what you hear vs what you think you hear

How is anyone supposed to tell the difference? If your brain is telling you you're hearing something how do you prove you aren't?
You know exactly what he means by that, old boy. Don't act dumb...

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
Here is how I do it:

- if the difference I hear is obvious enough that I am sure I can identify it easilty reliably under repated blind tests accompanied by stupid bets then I beleive my ears

- if the differenc I hear is subtle and I am not sure I can do the bling test thing - then it is not worth it, I deem there is no difference

- if it is in between, I listen again

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
ooh.. said:
The_Lhc said:
AlmaataKZ said:

How is anyone supposed to tell the difference? If your brain is telling you you're hearing something how do you prove you aren't?
You know exactly what he means by that, old boy. Don't act dumb...

I think you're mistaking me for someone else Max. Don't cross your argument streams.

A

Anonymous

AlmaataKZ said:

+1

The_Lhc said:

Eh? If your brain is telling you you're hearing something, then you're hearing something.

Its like saying...you're brains telling you your stomach is empty so you're hungry, but actually you're not hungry at all, its just your brain telling you that :wall:

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
AlmaataKZ said:
Here is how I do it:

- if the difference I hear is obvious enough that I am sure I can identify it easilty reliably under repated blind tests accompanied by stupid bets then I beleive my ears

- if the differenc I hear is subtle and I am not sure I can do the bling test thing - then it is not worth it, I deem there is no difference

- if it is in between, I listen again

Hmm, interesting. Are the stupid bets absolutely necessary? That's genuinely fascinating btw, I'm not taking the mick, I don't change my gear often enough to worry about this sort of thing, I was just asking as I've recently developed tinnitus and I KNOW the noise isn't there but I can still hear it, exactly as if there was an HT transformer whining somewhere near by, hence my initial question.

A

Anonymous

AEJim said:
I've heard two Schools of thought on engine break in - the old-fashioned "take it easy for the first couple of thousand miles" and the more recent "let a new engine warm up then rant it up and down its rev range within the first 20 miles" - this is very specifically required in those first 20 miles or so, without looking it up I can't remember the exact reasons but they made some sense.

The second method is supposed to give noticeable improvements on power and fuel consumption over and engine's life. A little off topic maybe but I'd be interested to know if anyone tries the second method on anything but a company car and sees the benefits! :)

I've heard the same, in the context of r/c heli engines which are 2-stroke methanol based and run up to 20k rpm. A former world champion flyer said he just runs his engine sensibly out of the box without any special breakin, just be careful not to run it lean (a rule which applies at all times anyway). IIRC, he said this provides good power, but then he probably has factory special engines built for him with exceptionally close tolerances, and doesnt have to worry how long the lifetime of the engine is.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
BenLaw said:
The_Lhc said:
BenLaw said:
Fair enough, no more, my fingers are getting tired anyway.

Good, the snooker's just started.

We have a(nother) common interest :)

Although I say just started, I managed to miss the first 2 frames completely and they're already at the mid-session interval!

Well, plenty of frames to go. (On an iPhone you cannot watch the snooker live on the bbc website, tho that may be for another thread.)

I'm hoping for a Maguire v O'Sullivan final.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Dr Lodge said:
AlmaataKZ said:

+1

The_Lhc said:

Eh? If your brain is telling you you're hearing something, then you're hearing something.

Well maybe, maybe not (see my other post re: tinnitus), but if there's no difference between what you think you hear and what you actually hear, what is there to be honest with yourself about?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
BenLaw said:

Only if the interested Ronnie turns up, there's been the odd flicker of bored Ronnie in the last couple of matches. He's come through but if he can't maintain his interest over 4 sessions I don't really want to watch.

I'd love to see Ronnie win another one in style but I'm not averse to seeing someone new win it.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
BenLaw said:

Only if the interested Ronnie turns up, there's been the odd flicker of bored Ronnie in the last couple of matches. He's come through but if he can't maintain his interest over 4 sessions I don't really want to watch.

I'd love to see Ronnie win another one in style but I'm not averse to seeing someone new win it.

Which is why Maguire would be a decent alternative, one of the better players of the last few years and on his day one of the few who comes close to an on-form O'Sullivan. I saw most of the afternoon session O'S had with Robertson and he only seemed to switch off when he was doing 'too' well. I think he'd stay focused against Maguire as they know each other well, and their styles could lead to an exciting matchup.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts