Running in my speakers

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Dear Sirs

My new 803D's are great. Perhaps a little bright. I am led to believe that they will get better with time. Is this really true? If so how much better and how long will it take? Anybody else have experience with these speakers?

Soutie

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site

Running in B&W speakers? Well, it's not a marathon task, but yes, like most loudspeakers they'll benefit from plenty of use, and may well continue to improve over the next month or two. In particular, the treble should soften and shade and the bass tighten up and fill out.

A

Anonymous

Yes,

Every electromechanical device will improve with age.. and use. This is why I never rule out the second hand hifi market.

Don't be alarmed if they give of a sort of burny smell when you first run them either, thats normal. It may take months or days or hours. They will have improved as much as they ever will when you are finally unable to perceive the difference from the previous listen;)

I'm really not so sure how running in would affect piezo speakers though...

A

Anonymous

Hello Soutie.

Are you, by any chance, affiliated to South Africa? I am just pondering your name as it has a rather funny meaning over here...

Regards
zimble01

Gwyndy

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Years ago, What Hi-Fi had a tip for running in speakers, I think it involved standing them with the drivers facing each other, wiring one up out of phase, covering them with a duvet or similar and then playing music overnight. -maybe Andrew can confirm this?

A

Anonymous

That's a proven method. The inverted phase causes both loudspeakers to play without making much sound (waves cancel each other out, resulting in a very thin sound), allowing you to play the loudspeakers very loud without causing much disturbance.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="ranjeetrain"]That's a proven method. The inverted phase causes both loudspeakers to play without making much sound (waves cancel each other out, resulting in a very thin sound), allowing you to play the loudspeakers very loud without causing much disturbance.[/quote]

This is just the question I was going to ask! I do remember a long time ago (goodness, was it really over 10 years?!) when I read in What Hi-Fi to run in my new speakers, I should connect them out of phase and direct them towards each other. I duly did this with my new Tannoy floorstanders, and I remember noticing a positive difference at the time (but my ears were young then!) and being very happy.

However, given I am (hopefully) going to finally replace those Tannoys this weekend with some B&Ws, I wondered, is this still a good method to run in speakers or is it better just to use them naturally over time and let them run in this way? If so, are you advised to "take it easy" on them for a little while before cranking up the volume?! Much like running in a car when you don't go above a certain number of RPMs for a few thousand miles...

Any advice greatly received! As you can see, it's been a while since I got new hi-fi speakers!

nads

Well i have had my 703's for 3 months now. and earlier this evening i put in the CD that came as a freebie on registration of the speakers. Now i have not listened to it since the end of November and i have to say that the speakers are still growing and changing but the sound is much closer to the ones i demoed in the shop. the running out of phase is used by some but i like these moments when you suddenly find these "improvements".

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Mmmm, I tend to agree with you now I reckon. In my youth, I was keen to get everything up and perfect straight away, but now I quite like the idea that as time goes by, my system will slowly start to sound better and better!

Thanks!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts