Running 2 subwoofers advice

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I've read various threads on here saying to get the best sound set all your speakers to small and set the crossovers to 80Hz with the sub volume roughly halfway BUT does this still apply if i want to run 2 subs from the amp ? When i run the auto set up at the moment all my speakers get set to large and the crossover is 100Hz obviously i'm going to experiment with the settings, i'm just curious as to what settings are going to get the best from my speakers? I find it alot easier on my car system as all i have to do is change the crossover from 80 or 100hz depending on the music being played ! Cheers

Ronald Archiebald

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
stu31:

I've read various threads on here saying to get the best sound set all your speakers to small and set the crossovers to 80Hz with the sub volume roughly halfway BUT does this still apply if i want to run 2 subs from the amp ?

Yes. Mine are set-up exactly this way and it works beautifully for me.

Chewy

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Looking at the specs for your speakers, they do seem to reach quite low (36Hz for the fronts, 50Hz for the centre and an impressive 38Hz for the rears), so in theory you could get away with keeping them set at large.

However, I have found with my MA's (the fronts of which reach down similiarly low) sound MUCH better set as small with a crossover of about 80Hz. I believe the thinking is that speakers use more amplification power generating low frequencies (large driver shifting more air), so if you spare them the chore of having to do that there is more available for the midrange and high frequencies, and allow the sub to handle the low frequencies that it is designed for - with its own dedicated internal amp.

My own experience bears this out, I get a noticable increase in clarity in the top end and midrange.

Also if you are running your speakers as large, but your sub is still operating up to 100Hz, you will be getting quite an overlap in bass frequencies, Again when I tried this I found this made the bass really 'muddy' and unclear. As soon as I set a clear 80Hz cross over between the sub and ALL the speakers (all set to small) the bass tightened up, and the whole system sounded much better. You might want to give it a try. Just listen to the same music track or movie sequence, and keep adjusting between large and small for the various speakers, and increase/decrease the crossover point until you are happy with what you are hearing.

As for two subs, I would have thought your settings shouldn't have to change (once you have settled on your ideal) - two subs are generally better than one I believe (though I haven't tested it out myself), the main reason being that they will provide a more even distribution of bass frequencies in your room, as although bass frequencies are omni-directional they are VERY room dependent (in my room I have two spots that are 3ft apart; one has great bass the other has almost no bass)!

Experiment with moving your sub about too, you might find some big gains in bass level and control, I did. Also consider looking at an Antimode 8033. I recently home demoed one of these little boxes of black magic, and it made an incredible difference to the taughtness and accuracy of bass in my room. Doing these things might give you bigger gains to your system than buying an additional sub.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for that, some good advice there looking forward to tomorrow now so i can have a play.

I was going to start with them all set to small and a 80Hz crossover so its nice to know i'm heading in the right direction.

Thankfully rather by luck than judgement the only two places I can actually position the subs do give out pretty good bass but i'm yet to try the two together so hopefully that'll still be the case.
The antimode 8033 is out for me as i've already bought the Radience sub and i ain't spending anymore !!

Cheers

A

Anonymous

Can definately here an improvement with running 2 subs instead of 1.

As previously said i've set the speakers to small and the crossover to 80hz at the moment I see what you mean about the sound being cleaner at the top end.

Base is less muddled still got a slight flat spot on one scene on the Incredible hulk blu ray but i'm gonna have a play with the notch filter to see if i can iron that out aswell.

Cheers

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Hya Stu again

Odd our two systems so close yet my crossover suggested on auto is 40-60Hz ?? My second sub is only a 80W Yamaha but otherwise our two setups are very similar. Recon room acoustics are at play? Im still using SMALL / 80 tho. Do keep us informed of your experiments.

Currently experimenting with toe-in.

Replaced a chrome stand with a nice oak STAX - not keen to spend any more but still playin.

Very impressed with DSOM on SACD and War of the Worlds. Set up the old vinyl deck too (Garrad 86SB). Still sounds pretty good compared to some CDs.

Merry Xmas Stu and all

Cheers

A

Anonymous

Hi Rob

How have you got your subs set up with regard to the volume and crossover dials?
My crossover dial is set at full and volume is halfway on both subs.

You maybe right with regard to room acoustics i'm gonna play about with rhe crossover abit as I should be able to go to 60Hz - the centre is the highest freq response speaker and that'll still go to 50hz but whether theres a further improvement over 80Hz or not we'll see.

Haven't got DSOM on SACD yet but War of the Worlds and Brothers in Arms are just pure quality.

Merry Xmas to you and your family aswell fella

Cheers

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Hya - subs as yours set to highest frequency. BrosinArms - have two CD copies and vinyl but tempted by SACD.

Will keep u informed of tweeks - always enjoy yours.

Cheers for now - hope others can join the discussion.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts