JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Get one if you want a better sound. Due to my kitchen being, er what should I say, just bricks and roof timbers at the moment due to building work, we have moved all the contents of the cupboards into the living room. The missus and baby have moved to her mum's for a couple of weeks too. Consequently as well as being full of wine glasses and pots and pans, my living room has also had the rug rolled up. The sound of my system is nowhere near as nice as normal with all these hard objects and lack of soft furnishings in here. So my advice would be, get a rug and don't put 36 various wine glasses and cast iron casserole dishes in front of your speakers. Or it could be the fact that I couldn't sleep last night as I was too excited about the thought of getting my ProAcs up and running in the new kitchen in a couple of weeks. Finally! Anyway, the missus being away, if any pretty young ladies fancy coming round to ahem listen to a few tunes then come on, I live close to the Red Lion in London. One requirement is you must have an affinity for dust and red wine, and not be too worried about having a microwave just under the plasma

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="JoelSim"]Get one if you want a better sound. Due to my kitchen being, er what should I say, just bricks and roof timbers at the moment due to building work, we have moved all the contents of the cupboards into the living room. The missus and baby have moved to her mum's for a couple of weeks too. Consequently as well as being full of wine glasses and pots and pans, my living room has also had the rug rolled up.

The sound of my system is nowhere near as nice as normal with all these hard objects and lack of soft furnishings in here. So my advice would be, get a rug and don't put 36 various wine glasses and cast iron casserole dishes in front of your speakers. Or it could be the fact that I couldn't sleep last night as I was too excited about the thought of getting my ProAcs up and running in the new kitchen in a couple of weeks. Finally!

Anyway, the missus being away, if any pretty young ladies fancy coming round to ahem listen to a few tunes then come on, I live close to the Red Lion in London.

One requirement is you must have an affinity for dust and red wine, and not be too worried about having a microwave just under the plasma[/quote]

I imagine the pretty girls have all got caught in traffic

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="JoelSim"]Get one if you want a better sound. Due to my kitchen being, er what should I say, just bricks and roof timbers at the moment due to building work, we have moved all the contents of the cupboards into the living room. The missus and baby have moved to her mum's for a couple of weeks too. Consequently as well as being full of wine glasses and pots and pans, my living room has also had the rug rolled up.

The sound of my system is nowhere near as nice as normal with all these hard objects and lack of soft furnishings in here. So my advice would be, get a rug and don't put 36 various wine glasses and cast iron casserole dishes in front of your speakers. Or it could be the fact that I couldn't sleep last night as I was too excited about the thought of getting my ProAcs up and running in the new kitchen in a couple of weeks. Finally!

Anyway, the missus being away, if any pretty young ladies fancy coming round to ahem listen to a few tunes then come on, I live close to the Red Lion in London.

One requirement is you must have an affinity for dust and red wine, and not be too worried about having a microwave just under the plasma[/quote]

I imagine the pretty girls have all got caught in traffic

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="JoelSim"][quote user="JoelSim"]Get one if you want a better sound. Due to my kitchen being, er what should I say, just bricks and roof timbers at the moment due to building work, we have moved all the contents of the cupboards into the living room. The missus and baby have moved to her mum's for a couple of weeks too. Consequently as well as being full of wine glasses and pots and pans, my living room has also had the rug rolled up.

I imagine the pretty girls have all got caught in traffic[/quote]

I must be getting old as I'm beginning to repeat myself

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
To misappropriate Martin Amis' wonderful phrase, "time for a radical rug re-think", perhaps. So that's a smidgeon of literature dropped into the Forum to go along with the soupcon of politics from earlier on. Just need a dash of relativism meets absolutism in the house of belief to complement the contentious line-up, Oh, but isn't the latter slot already more than exemplified by the Groundhog Day meets Dante's Inferno interconnect and mains cable debate/slanging match.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="JoelSim"]So my advice would be, get a rug and don't put 36 various wine glasses and cast iron casserole dishes in front of your speakers.[/quote]
I've always been a bit sceptical that this kind of tweaking could actually make any audible difference, at least not the extent where you could tell the difference in a double blind test to a statistically significant degree. Blow me down, however, if I didn't indeed notice a significant improvement when I cleared all the kitchen paraphernalia away from in front of my Epos M5s. Richer mid range, improved lows and overall more coherent soundstaging. Best 10 minute tweak ever!

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Charlie Jefferson"]To misappropriate Martin Amis' wonderful phrase, "time for a radical rug re-think", perhaps. So that's a smidgeon of literature dropped into the Forum to go along with the soupcon of politics from earlier on. Just need a dash of relativism meets absolutism in the house of belief to complement the contentious line-up, Oh, but isn't the latter slot already more than exemplified by the Groundhog Day meets Dante's Inferno interconnect and mains cable debate/slanging match.[/quote]

Have you been partaking in some mind altering Sir?

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="tractorboy"][quote user="JoelSim"]So my advice would be, get a rug and don't put 36 various wine glasses and cast iron casserole dishes in front of your speakers.[/quote]
I've always been a bit sceptical that this kind of tweaking could actually make any audible difference, at least not the extent where you could tell the difference in a double blind test to a statistically significant degree. Blow me down, however, if I didn't indeed notice a significant improvement when I cleared all the kitchen paraphernalia away from in front of my Epos M5s. Richer mid range, improved lows and overall more coherent soundstaging. Best 10 minute tweak ever![/quote]

It makes a heloo of a difference. I have wooden floors and there's nothing soft left, all hard edges and brightness and boomy bass now. Like being at a rave in my front room

A

Anonymous

[quote user="tractorboy"][quote user="JoelSim"]So my advice would be, get a rug and don't put 36 various wine glasses and cast iron casserole dishes in front of your speakers.[/quote]

I've always been a bit sceptical that this kind of tweaking could actually make any audible difference, at least not the extent where you could tell the difference in a double blind test to a statistically significant degree. Blow me down, however, if I didn't indeed notice a significant improvement when I cleared all the kitchen paraphernalia away from in front of my Epos M5s. Richer mid range, improved lows and overall more coherent soundstaging. Best 10 minute tweak ever!
[/quote]

Can you please point us at some serious research that supports this balderdash please? No? Then I'm sorry but you're simply delusional. It's clearly just the placebo affect.
Next you'll be telling me that it actually matters what direction the speakers point in!

A

Anonymous

How do we insert a Smiley? Anyone got one with its tongue wedged firmly in its cheek?

nads

[quote user="tractorboy"]How do we insert a Smiley? Anyone got one with its tongue wedged firmly in its cheek?[/quote]
icon_clown.gif

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="JohnDuncan"][quote user="JoelSim"]I live close to the Red Lion in London[/quote]

Well, that narrows it down, Joel.[/quote]

Sactly

A

Anonymous

[quote user="fr0g"]

Dude...You have got to be kidding. I am a major skeptic... I seriously believe thick speaker cable of the right electrical properties is as good as any...(for the moment), and interconnects over about £40/£50 are an utter waste of money, but THINGS in the listening area make a HUGE difference. I made my biggest improvement EVER with a 90 degree turnaround of listening area, as it meant absolute equality of space to fire into for the speakers. I could quite easily pass an ABX test with/witjout my wool rug - As the sound is much more focussed) -
Things that sound bounce off are far more real than some supposed improvement in electrom flow, or some other BS.[/quote]

Sorry, don't buy it. I got my wife to put a sofa in front of the speakers and persuade our seven Afghan hounds to lick my feet while I had a blindfold on and I really couldn't tell the difference. Then we turned the pound coins under the speakers around through 180 degrees and that messed everything up until I stuck some sellotape on the hot tap in the bathroom! You people with your soft furnishings!

A

Anonymous

Actually I didn't mean to mention the Afghans, how do I edit these things?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="fr0g"]Put your hands behinnd your ears and bend them slightly foward while cupping them...[/quote]

Yeah yeah, but that's just equalising the potential of your hands and your ears so that when you turn your system on the whole thing is in electrical equilibrium. As long as you remember to cross your arms over - left arm to right ear - when you do it to avoid any bi-polar effects - then of course this has an affect.

You can achieve something similar by wearing one of those hats with flappy ears and gloves like kids wear with a string across the shoulders. If you tie the strings on the ears of the hat to the string on the gloves it works wonders. Makes the sound much less harsh. As long as it's all nice and tight of course, but that's obvious.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="JohnDuncan"][quote user="JoelSim"]I live close to the Red Lion in London[/quote]Well, that narrows it down, Joel.[/quote]

It's the one not very far from the Coach and Horses and the King's Head

John Duncan

[quote user="fr0g"]I'm betting you don't have squash ball halves supporting your system? ;)P[/quote]

I'm a serious tweaker, but I draw the line at squashing balls. Although I bet your hifi sounds much better after you stop.

huddo

Nov 13, 2007
Visit site
Off topic, how's the Primare John, did you procure it from that well known internet aution site per chance, the very same amp that I put a bid in on ??

John Duncan

Hi - mine was a D20 CD player (which is getting better by the day), so I don't think we were in competition. Though am now looking for an A10/A20/I20 to go with it. I'd buy an A30.1 but all my gear sits on shelves that are 35cm deep, and the 30 series (and the new 21s) don't fit..........

A

Anonymous

[quote user="fr0g"]
I'm betting you don't have squash ball halves supporting your system? ;)P[/quote]
No, I use half beach balls :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts