Ruark Swordsman

Gaz37

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
I've just picked up a pair of Ruark Swordsman speakers off Ebay and am very impressed with them.

Does anybody know much about them? I can't find any reviews on them I think they date back to the 90s but what were their competitors and how much were they new?

insider9

Released as a budget model in 1989. Not sure about the price. Most important is that you are enjoying them irrespective of their value or what you've paid

http://www.ruarkaudio.com/about/heritage

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Gaz37 said:
I've just picked up a pair of Ruark Swordsman speakers off Ebay and am very impressed with them.

Does anybody know much about them? I can't find any reviews on them I think they date back to the 90s but what were their competitors and how much were they new?

Compact stand mounts that were firmly in the neutral/laid back class, excellent cabinet work too.

Unusual in that they did not really follow the trend of the day for bouncy 'tunefull' speakers for the Linn/Naim style system. Entry level for Ruark but not budget by the standards of the day, maybe just a little less money than, say the MA RS852 or ES14 which became the market keaders in the early 90's

Decent alternative to those who found the Epos or MAs speakers a touch forward or bright, but could not go up to something like the Spendors.

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
My mum bought the Ruark Icons in the 90s and still uses them to this day. I'm not sure quite how they fit in the line up against one another but I'd imagine quite closely. Lovely little speakers, beautifully made cabinets and just a really easy listen, very expressive.

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
My mum bought the Ruark Icons in the 90s and still uses them to this day. I'm not sure quite how they fit in the line up against one another but I'd imagine quite closely. Lovely little speakers, beautifully made cabinets and just a really easy listen, very expressive.

Gaz37

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
Funny but compared to my AE Evo1s I would say that they are far brighter and "in your face" sounding, certainly far more detailed, I certainly wouldn't describe the sound as laid back but have only listened to them for about half an hour.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Gaz37 said:
Funny but compared to my AE Evo1s I would say that they are far brighter and "in your face" sounding, certainly far more detailed, I certainly wouldn't describe the sound as laid back but have only listened to them for about half an hour.

Used them with Naim and other 'english type' amplification. They are not very sensitive so need a decent quality amplifier to 'fill out' their sound.

Gaz37

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
Up until now I had only listened to CDs the Ruarks, this afternoon I gave Spotify a try through my Kindle Fire HD and it was terrible.
I was aware, with the AEs that the Spotify/Kindle combination was poorer quality than CDs but these speakers really highlight it.
Quite annoying really

mond

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
My first "proper" speakers were Ruark, Templars if I remember correctly. Then I upgraded those to the Talisman ones, also Ruark. They were very good as I remember

drummerman said:
Had Sabres with a valve amp many a Moon ago (not the HiFi brand ... the big round thing in the sky). Nice.

I can imagine. Long time since I've heard a Ruark speaker but they all seemed pretty 'musical' to me and Ruark could certainly teach a few of today's manufacturers a thing or two about cabinet making. They had some class carpenters on their team that's for sure.

Vector

Oct 28, 2016
Visit site
davedotco said:
Gaz37 said:

Compact stand mounts that were firmly in the neutral/laid back class, excellent cabinet work too.

Unusual in that they did not really follow the trend of the day for bouncy 'tunefull' speakers for the Linn/Naim style system. Entry level for Ruark but not budget by the standards of the day, maybe just a little less money than, say the MA RS852 or ES14 which became the market keaders in the early 90's

Decent alternative to those who found the Epos or MAs speakers a touch forward or bright, but could not go up to something like the Spendors.

They were actually a step down from there and arrived a bit later. The Sabre (£299) was a slightly cheaper rival to the ES14 and MA 852, although not in the same league (IMO) sonically. The Swordsman was a cut-down version of the Sabre with a cheaper cabinet and crossover. I remember owning both ES14s and 852s between 1987 and 1989. I heard a pair of Sabres that year when looking for something more compact. They were ok but lost out to some Tablettes. Very nicely built though.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts