RSD 2015 An interesting article

jamesrfisher

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
Just read this. Makes interesting reading, particularly about high prices and that the labels seem to prosper rather than the stores!

http://www.theguardian.com/music/musicblog/2015/mar/20/record-store-day-is-thriving-but-could-it-kill-our-independent-shops

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Interesting. I haven't been able to partake in RSD before, as I've never had a record shop near me until this year, but I've seen the full list of 'exclusive releases' and it's pretty uninspiring reading.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
thescarletpronster said:
Interesting. I haven't been able to partake in RSD before, as I've never had a record shop near me until this year, but I've seen the full list of 'exclusive releases' and it's pretty uninspiring reading.

Whilst I wouldn't necessarily disagree with you, that surely depends on what you like doesn't it? And as the Rsd response to that article says it's mostly independent labels that take part, so presumably they know their market.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
thescarletpronster said:

Whilst I wouldn't necessarily disagree with you, that surely depends on what you like doesn't it? And as the Rsd response to that article says it's mostly independent labels that take part, so presumably they know their market.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
stevebrock said:
personally i thought the list was pretty boring - too many 12" IMO that are overpriced

it's the limited numbers that make them expensive though but yes I bought the Soundgarden box set last year, pretty sure it's not worth 90 quid.

Pretty much meaningless to me as I generally find the list of 'new issues' rather uninspiring, my nearest dealer is 22 miles away, and I'm invariably away at work on the day. I have purchase some 'leftovers' later in the year at a reduced price but more often there is nothing there that I want.

Whilst promoting the smaller producers is always a good thing it would appear that majors use it as a time to offload a lot of previously slow moving LPs. The only way to really push the so-called vinyl revival is to cut prices, and by that I do not mean what amount the record store owners can take as their part of the deal.

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
The_Lhc said:

By uninspiring I mainly mean that is it overwhelmingly made up of reissues of old material (or of 'vault' material, i.e. music which was never considered good enough to be released at the time). It seems to be aiming at the nostalgia industry and collectors of rare items rather than music lovers per se. Yes, this might be the most lucrative market, but as I'm not part of it, I find the list uninspiring (and somewhat dispiriting).

There's not much new music in the list that I'm interested in, but I admit that a fair amount of the new music in this list I'm not familiar with, so there might be some things in there that I would like. But there's not that much new material at all compared to reissues of old material.

If artists started releasing new albums on RSD, and selling them only through independent shops, that would be something I would applaud.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts