RP6 Cartridge

Jerry64

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Now that I've decided to purchase the Rega Brio-R, the next step is to start thinking about an ugrade to my existing turntable which is a Project Debut III fitted with an Ortofon 2M red cartridge.

My first option is the Rega RP3 fitted with a Goldring 1012GX, but I am also considering the RP6. I was, therefore, wondering what cartidges I should be considering for the RP6 and what peoples experiences are.

Many Thanks

Jerry64

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I believe the RP40 is based on the RP3, with an Elys40 cartridge. Nor sure how the Elys40 stacks up, so my preference at the moment would be the RP3 or RP6. I can afford the RP3 new or one of the RP6 seconds which are being sold. If it was to be the RP6, I wouldn't buy it without seeing it first, but at the end of the day I want to get the best value for my money and have something that I'll be happy with for many years to come.

I would, however, be interested to hear how the Nagaoka MP150 and MP200 compare to the Goldring.

Jerry64

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I've done a fair bit of digging around and the Denon ML110 certainly appears to be a good cartridge.

At the moment, based on what I've read so far, I'm warming towards the Nagaoka MP-200 which I assume I can put on either the RP3 or RP6. I think anything above the MP-200 is probably going a bit overboard

respe

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
I have used carts up to a dyna 17d3 on p3 and P25, so with the new rega arms I would not worry about overkill below £1k new.

Teo

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
As you see you have a lot of options :) I 'll add that I use a Benz Micro on Rega arm and works wonderfully , you should try one , maybe you'll like too. ;)

Jerry64

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Well after all that and a bit of digging around I got drawn to the Goldring Lenco GL75 and the LencoHeaven website. I think the possibility of ending up with a pretty decent turntable and something a bit personal appealed so I took the plunge and picked one up from fleabay for £80.

First impressions are that the turntable has been very well cared for over the years with no scratches or blemishes and very quiet operation. Just need to get on with the mods which will include replacing the tonearm with a Rega RB250 and cartridge, and a new plinth.

Once finished I'll be able to sit back and see how it compares to my Project Debut III :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts