Roth Oli 50 not quit right- yet?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi, any advice is appreciated. I had just hooked up a pair of new Roth Oli 50's to my old Awia amp (must be 20 years old) with a Realistic equaliser hooked up vis cheap RCA's.

I have QED silver ann speaker cable running to my speakers with airlocs to meet 2 of the 4 speaker jacks. I only have spring jacks at the back of my amp and so no airlocs on this end.

I have Chord RCA going into the back of my amp from my media storage unit.

Problem is, I was expecting a greater sound from these expensive speakers. I know my amp is old and probably not the best quality in the world also, the eq is probably has a greater scrap value.

Is it the speakers or do I need something like a Yamaha A-S500 and together with all silver rca's and a decent eq?

Thank you in advance for any constructive feedback.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I would replace the Aiwa and the graphic equaliser with an amp from Rega (Brio-R) or Marantz. Stay clear of silver coated copper cables and go with copper only.

Make sure you demo before committing, preferably at home, or if not, with Oli speakers.

A

Anonymous

Thank you for getting back. I have read somewhere that maybe use the silver plated wire for the top input jack (mids & highs) and put copper wire into the bottom for the base.

I am going to try to arrange a visit to try out a couple of amps. So the Yamaha is no good?

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Welcome...
Firstly, ditch the graphic equaliser. In a hifi audio set-up, there really isn't a time when such a device improves the sound*. Umm'ing and ahh'ing about the suble differences afforded by different cable conductors is pointless with one of those things hooked up.

Then change your amp. If funds are limited, there are great bargains on the used market which will substantially better anything made by Aiwa, and for not much cost.

(*As always, conflicting opinions are available, but that's mine, fwiw)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
bustabrown said:
Thank you for getting back. I have read somewhere that maybe use the silver plated wire for the top input jack (mids & highs) and put copper wire into the bottom for the base.

I am going to try to arrange a visit to try out a couple of amps. So the Yamaha is no good?

It's not for me to tell you what you may like, so the Yamaha should be on your audition list....I just gave you two options that I happen to prefer.

IMO Silver coated cable should never be used, and the likes of Atlas are far better. The Chord Silver Screen (pure copper) is worth a look as a speaker cable.

I agree with the Major regarding the Graphic Equaliser, as I believe a well balanced system will sound better without it.

A

Anonymous

Hi bustabrown,

I also recently bought a pair of Oli 50's. I replaced an old LG HT712 home theatre system with these (in front), and a Wharfedale SW150 subwoofer. I've ordered a Roth Oli C2 centre speaker, and I think in the next few weeks, I will get Roth Oli 30's as surround speakers for the back. I have this hooked up to a new Onkyo TX-NR609 amplifier (£499, on special atm I think for £399 from Superfi.co.uk). I'm absolutely delighted with this set of speakers. Read this other thread here: http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/roth-oli-speakers. I too wasn't very happy after the first round of trying to get them going because I let the amplifier set them up automatically. Afterwards, I bi-amped them (using a cheap QED cable), and configured the speaker settings manually rather than automatically on the amplifier, and now I'm absolutely amazed with the sound. It really rocks the whole lounge when watching movies and playing music. It's actually made me go out and buy more Blu-Ray titles of movies which I know have good soundtracks.. like Fast Five, Transformers 1, Transporter 1/2/3, Fast & Furious 1 and 2. I believe the full review of the speakers is due in whathifi magazine tomorrow!

matthewpiano

You can't expect any speakers to give their best on the end of those electronics. Ditch the Aiwa and the graphic equaliser and invest in a decent amp. £300 or thereabouts gives you lots of choice including excellent amps from Marantz, Rotel, Cambridge Audio, and Yamaha. Any of these will put you into a completely different stratosphere.

Alternatively, if funds are tight, look out for an older Rotel integrated such as an RA970BX or a second hand Marantz. The PM4200 is a cracking amp if you want to look out for a bargain. Others worth looking at from Marantz 2nd hand include the PM6002, PM6010, PM7200 or PM66SE KI. Another good used option would be a NAD C320BEE or C325BEE.

I haven't heard the Oli 50s so these are simply recommendations for good quality amps that will give you a significant improvement on what you have.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts