Rotel RA-12 Amp Anyone?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Zax89swe

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
In latest mag rotel ra-12 didnt manage 5 stars, they say rotel ra-10 is more engaging so maybe rotel ra11 got some unexpected advantages over the bigger brother. you can find the hardware differences in this picture http://oi46.tinypic.com/vpkw7k.jpg . Anyone tried bluetooth streaming from a computer get?

camcroft

I use a QED UPLAY Puck to stream Bluetooth from my pc to my stereo and it sounds just fine as it has Apt X built in.I think if you have a decent amp then this option would cost a lot less than the Rotel setup.My pc isnt Bluetooth ready so I use a Belkin Mini Bluetooth dongle to transmit to the QED the total cost of this setup is around £70 and to me it is well worth it.I have been tempted to demo the RA12 but I was listening today and I thought how much better would it sound than my system if any

Baldrick1

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Zax89swe said:
In latest mag rotel ra-12 didnt manage 5 stars, they say rotel ra-10 is more engaging so maybe rotel ra11 got some unexpected advantages over the bigger brother. you can find the hardware differences in this picture http://oi46.tinypic.com/vpkw7k.jpg . Anyone tried bluetooth streaming from a computer get?

Can't comment on the RA-12 as I have not listened to it but as said earlier I did audition the RA-10 & RA-11 side by side and found the RA-11 overall a 'better' fit to my tastes/the way I like my music presented. But both IMHO are cracking amps...and on that basis I would still recommend that the RA-12 is auditioned in comparison to other candidates.

@Zax89swe...the photographic comparison is quite startling...and interesting. Would love to know in laymen's terms what the difference amount too. :?

manicm

Zax89swe said:

Well thanks for ruining the suspense, on the other hand you may have saved me a few quid.

Baldrick1

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Andy Clough said:
We'll be publishing the full review of the Rotel RA-12 online tomorrow.

Hi Andy

Thanks for the heads up. Will read it with interest. I presume that there are no plans to review the RA-11, as no the one either side has been reviewed?

Only ask out of interest, even though I have already purchased an RA-11. ;)

BigColz

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
Nice look forward to it.. I wouldn't go for the 10 because I want a more powerfull amp and surely is dependant on the speakers it's driving? Anyway ill demo it in a couple weeks and post my findings :cheers:

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
HI all.

Just ordered RA-11 and KEF Q300. I'll be primarly using this combo with Macbook Pro as the only source of music. I also must say that this is my first serious hi fi set up. I'm novice to hi fi and setting it up so any help and thoughts on what's the best way to connect the amplifier with ma Mac would be much appreciated :)

I've choose RA-11 because it's got DAC built in and wanted to keep things simple. Now needs some help with connection :)

Many thanks.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Cypher said:
plasterman said:
Cypher said:
So when you have the Rotel RA-11/RA-12 you can connect the CD player to the amp with normal RCA cables or you have the option to connect the CD player with a coaxial digital cable.....bypassing the DAC of the CD player and you use the DAC of the amp ?

Is this correct ?

Yes that's correct, there are two coaxial and two optical inputs.

That's fantastic. Every amp should have this from now on :)

Why what is the point of buying an amp with a DAC if you already have an external DAC or a better DAC in your cd player? Waste of money.

mixim

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Currently running a setup with RA-12 running my CM5's, very satisfied, enough control, and they are not easliy driven!

Having an issue with the RA-12 getting very HOT to the touch. It's on the center to right-ish rear part of the ventilation holes on top.It get's warm even when idling without any volume and with speakers turned to OFF. So i Doubt it should be the speaker impedance right?

Considering these alternatives:

- The RA-12 naturally runs very hot to the touch?

- My speaker cables migh have high resistance? (Shouldn't matter since warm even on "idle", not playing music?)

- The CM'5s are quite heeavy to drive ( Again, shouldnt matter since warm even on "idle", not playing music?)

- I have a faulty RA-12?

Any input from other RA-12 owners, could you please feel around on your Rotels?

mixim

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
plasterman said:
I've had my RA12 for a year now and yes it runs hot but it's never caused any issues.

On one hand, kind of bad since my H/k 675 never got this hot. On the other hand, good that it does not seem to be a faulty RA-12 I got.
Can anybody else confirm? And by Hot i mean close to giving an actual burn.

yavor

Dec 20, 2014
Visit site
Don't buy Rotel! Rotel make the worst CD players on the planet! I paid GBP430 for mine and few month after the warranty expired it died (head can not adjust itself). Kaput !!! Not more than 150hrs for a little more than a year. Useless piece of rubbish. Don't buy those.

matthewpiano

I think you have just been unlucky. The transport in that CD player will likely be a Sony part and they are normally reliable. It should be repairable for not too much money. Have you asked your dealer for a quote, or even to see if Rotel might assist with the cost as a good will gesture?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts