Rotel RA-12 Amp Anyone?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
I use a Marantz PM6003. Very good amp but I'm searching for a better one.

There are so many new amps coming out ;

Denon

Pioneer

Rotel

Creek (where's the evolution 50A ?)

I'm not in a hurry though but I really like the expensive look of the RA-11/RA-12.

A

Anonymous

I know, your amp has great reviews.

for me 683s grand mark was going to spend same on amp, was set on the 1520 you said. Step up the rc1550/rb1552.

They great reviews, nice looking and nice specs, no optical etc though if thats important.

plasterman

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site

I'm selling my pm 6004 too and with the money I'm going to buy an external dac.

[/quote]

So Plasterman, would you say the DAC built in to the Rotel amplifier RA-12 sounds nicer than the Marantz CD6004 using its own DAC? If so, why the need for an external DAC? Is the Rotel good at low and high volumes equally and is there any channel imbalance? Would you say the amp is bright, warm sounding or just right? Sorry for the questions, cheers.....

[/quote]

I have the Marantz connected with coaxil and normal interconnects so I'm able hear the marantz as just a transport or the marantz on it's own. I much prefair the marantz through the rotels dac, the sound has a bit more excitement and detail about it. With marantz on it's own it's like there's a veil over the music if that makes sense.

Main reason why I'm buying an external DAC(Audiolab MDAC) is that at some point I'll want to connect a pc in the music chain and the rotel has no usb input.

The rotel is good at low level and at higher level, no channel imbalance either.

The rotel's brighter than my marantz pm6004 but not overly so and the rotel goes so well with my b&w 685.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Well I'm all set to buy the rega DAC and use my marantz cd6004 as a transport & my rega Brio R amp, however I wouldn't mind trying the Musical Fidelity DAC before I commit o the Rega! Saying that the Rega blew me away ith the detail and taut bass.

The reason for me buying a DAC is that I don't see the point of buying another cd player when I can improve my current player and play lossless files from my iMac and stream spotify to it

plasterman

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
stevebrock said:
Well I'm all set to buy the rega DAC and use my marantz cd6004 as a transport & my rega Brio R amp, however I wouldn't mind trying the Musical Fidelity DAC before I commit o the Rega! Saying that the Rega blew me away ith the detail

Somewhere there's a hifi shop with a rega dac and it's whispering your name. ;)

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
plasterman said:

I'm selling my pm 6004 too and with the money I'm going to buy an external dac.

So Plasterman, would you say the DAC built in to the Rotel amplifier RA-12 sounds nicer than the Marantz CD6004 using its own DAC? If so, why the need for an external DAC? Is the Rotel good at low and high volumes equally and is there any channel imbalance? Would you say the amp is bright, warm sounding or just right? Sorry for the questions, cheers.....

[/quote]

I have the Marantz connected with coaxil and normal interconnects so I'm able hear the marantz as just a transport or the marantz on it's own. I much prefair the marantz through the rotels dac, the sound has a bit more excitement and detail about it. With marantz on it's own it's like there's a veil over the music if that makes sense.

Main reason why I'm buying an external DAC(Audiolab MDAC) is that at some point I'll want to connect a pc in the music chain and the rotel has no usb input.

The rotel is good at low level and at higher level, no channel imbalance either.

The rotel's brighter than my marantz pm6004 but not overly so and the rotel goes so well with my b&w 685.

[/quote]

Hi Plasterman, thanks for the good review. Does the Rotel not have a front USB connection for connecting to computers etc? Interestingly the RA-1520 is £100 more expensive but has a lot less functionality than the RA-12 with the same power output, on paper. Maybe the current is different though?

plasterman

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
Blackdawn said:
Hi Plasterman, thanks for the good review. Does the Rotel not have a front USB connection for connecting to computers etc? Interestingly the RA-1520 is £100 more expensive but has a lot less functionality than the RA-12 with the same power output, on paper. Maybe the current is different though?

Yes it does have a usb on the front facia but you can't directly connect a pc to it.

You can connect usb sticks and the amp comes with a blutooth dongle so you can stream from say your ipad or iphone or any device that has blutooth. I use it to stream from my ipod touch and the sound quality is quite good, sadly my pc has not got blutooth built in. I do have a blutooth dongle for the pc but what ever music i try to stream plays at the wrong pitch. :cry:

A

Anonymous

Hello,

I am also very interested in the ra-12.

I actually have a ra-06se to listen especially to my digital music files via a Sonos zp90 connected to a mf v-dac 2.

Speakers are B&W Cm1.

Will the ra-12 be better than my actual setup? The idea is to reduce the amount of devices...

I am also wondering if the new rt-12 would be better than my sonos zp 90. Can the rt-12 be used with a spotify account?

Rotel does not mention anything about compatibility with music streaming services like spotify or qobuz.

Thanks for your comments!

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
DAC and amplification-wise, I doubt you'd lose much, if anything (the DAC in the Rotel may even be slightly better, and cuts down on cables), but it depends on what you use the ZP90 for. Bear in mind the Rotel is a more basic version of the ZP90 - it'll stream, you'll have access to Internet radio - it will only accept digital inputs from digital sources, and digital music via USB, and (without checking) wont have access to the likes of Spotify, Napster etc. You could use the RA12 and the ZP90 though, as the ZP90 doesn't need to be on show.

Longjohn

Aug 27, 2011
Visit site
Dear all,

Has any one compared the new RA-12 with the older RA-1520, which already has a five star seal of approval from What HiFi?

I was thinking of buying the RA-1520, but am wondering if I should wait until someone has done the reviews.

Best regards,

LJ

plasterman

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
Longjohn said:
Dear all,

Has any one compared the new RA-12 with the older RA-1520, which already has a five star seal of approval from What HiFi?

I was thinking of buying the RA-1520, but am wondering if I should wait until someone has done the reviews.

Best regards,

LJ

Demoing kit is the only way to go, a WHF review is a rough guide not the final thought. I've bought the Rotel because I knew it was a jump in SQ from my Marantz pm6004.

A

Anonymous

plasterman said:
Cypher said:
Plasterman, does the RA-12 play files from a USB stick ? WAV or MP3 files ?

Thanks.

Yes it does and it will play WAV and MP3 files.

But it wont play FLAC files right? And also i think i read somewhere that the USB limits bitrate to 48kbps or something?

Im thinking of replacing my Marantz PM7001 and Marantz CD and tuner from 1999 with a full Rotel setup to go with my B&W CM8 which supposedly should be a perfect match (Rotel/B&W that is).

Just want to be sure it has some "future proofness" to it.

I know the RT-12 will be able to stream FLAC, but then i would either need a PC running or a NAS, and im not sure i would want to work with finding a NAS which it will work with etc.
So would be easier if the USB just did what one wanted it to do, being play lossless files. (I havent ripped my CD collection or anything, just would be nice to have for future use besides the actual CD player).

Im really dying to hear more about this new kit from Rotel, user reviews, professional reviews etc.
I know i need to listen myself and make up my own mind, but it sure is nice to see what others think but more important to read about what it can do and wont do etc. :?

Zax89swe

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
Im into buying a new system and got my eyes on the rotel ra-12 and monitor audio rx6, Is this a good combo? I want a grown up sound that isnt harsh, big relaxed and honest still exciting sound.

nomadicbry

Dec 4, 2008
Visit site
Hi

I sampled the RA11, RA12 and the Rega Brio R

I was sold on the RA12 combined with B&W speakers

then I heard the Rega in a straight A / B test and to my ears I much preferred the Rega.

I was sold on teh rotel due to what comes in the box ie built on DAC, bluetooth, USB etc but once I'd head the Rega i decided I will add on an external dac to the amp as i much prefered the muscallity of the amp.

However everyone has a preference and you may prefer the Rotel but def give the rega a listen

nomadicbry

Dec 4, 2008
Visit site
Hi

then I heard the Rega in a straight A / B test and to my ears I much preferred the Rega.

I was sold on teh rotel due to what comes in the box ie built on DAC, bluetooth, USB etc but once I'd head the Rega i decided I will add on an external dac to the amp as i much prefered the muscallity of the amp.

However everyone has a preference and you may prefer the Rotel but def give the rega a listen

nomadicbry

Dec 4, 2008
Visit site
Hi

A

Anonymous

plasterman:

Im also having B&W 685 and looking for a new amp.

My favourite since before (comparing to rotel, NAD) is the Marantz. But I have only tried MA and Dynaudio speakers to these amps. What I prefered with the Marantz PM 6004 and PM 7004 was its warmth.

I thought that Rotel was all too bright and thin with lack of bass to these speakers.

My concern is that I will think this about the rotel to my B&Ws but everybody seems to recommend this combination.

Dont you find rotel to be much brighter that your old Marantz with your b&w 685?

plasterman

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
surferpat said:
plasterman:

Im also having B&W 685 and looking for a new amp.

My favourite since before (comparing to rotel, NAD) is the Marantz. But I have only tried MA and Dynaudio speakers to these amps. What I prefered with the Marantz PM 6004 and PM 7004 was its warmth.

I thought that Rotel was all too bright and thin with lack of bass to these speakers.

My concern is that I will think this about the rotel to my B&Ws but everybody seems to recommend this combination.

Dont you find rotel to be much brighter that your old Marantz with your b&w 685?

I dont find the B&W 685 Rotel RA 12 to be bass light, thin or too bright. The Rotel is brighter than the Marantz but I'd say that's because the Rotel is more open in the upper frequencies, not in an aggresive way though. I found the Marantz to be a good listen but a bit to smooth and after having the Rotel for a couple of months I would not go back to the Marantz.

The Rotel just has more muscle than the Marantz a bolder sound all round and much better for low level listening something the Marantz was poor at even with the loudness function.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your reply.

Actually, yesterday I got a second hand Marantz PM 7004 (only 1 month old) for a very good price.

Its rated 70 w instead of the weaker pm 6004s 45 w.

I will, soon in the future take the rotel ra-12 home from the shop an test it against my new Marantz. But I have to tell you, that it sounds really great. It feels that my B&W 685 get enough of power with the pm 7004.

Its a very warm sound with alot of bass and the treble is soft and not tough on the ears at all, also very open and airy.

I could truly live with this amp. But Im too curious not to test the new rotel for comparison :)

smbmetal

Sep 8, 2007
Visit site
Has anyone else bought this amp? Nice to see that it's baby brother the RA-10 got a good review in WHF, I wonder if the RA-12 will get reviewed soon? I'm waiting for my Christmas bonus to see whether or not I go to demo or buy it!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts