Rotel RA -04 + Paradigm Mini Monitors V.6

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi Guys,

Its my first time on the forum and i'm pretty new to the Hi-FI world in anycase. I did a bit of auditioninig over the last week or so for a budget level cd + amp + speakers in Singapore. The combo of a Rotel RA-05 + Paradigm Mini Mons v.6s sounded beautiful, composed, clear and having a decent punch.
The orther auditions included the usual combos of NAD + CA budget systems with wither Dali Lektors2 or Diamonds 9.1, 10.1 s but all of them fell short in terms of overal quality.

However, i have one concern other than not knowing about the Paradigm brand prior to hearing them. Would the combo of RA-04 plus Mini Mons be too harsh when i listen to slighlty lower grade recording such as tracks bought online and converted to CD quality?

I CD with such a track did sound a bit bright..would an accurate speaker such as a mini fail to hide quality imperfections?

Thinking of pairing it with a Marantz CD5003...as my budget has been overshot on account of the Mini Mons.

Any thoughts would be very welcome...

Cheers Guys

Akshay

A

Anonymous

I would like to clarify - I auditioned a RA -05 as the RA-04 was not in stock but will end up purchasing the RA -04s when available....

A

Anonymous

I would highly recommend purchasing an external dac like the Beresford Dac 7520 or the VDac or the CA Dac Magic, since as you said, you will be using music from a computer source and assuming your current sound card isn't that great, then this will improve things greatly and in fact will sound better than a budget cd player.

A

Anonymous

I've got to say, I'm in the same boat as you in terms of being new to this.

I can't vouch for those speakers, but on the side I have to say that I found the RA-04 a very capable little amp, brilliant for the price, and it could drive a lot of things, I've recently got one with MA BR2s which are a tad bright, but I like the punchiness and dynamics of it, but that's mainly due to the speakers. I suppose you either have to take a gamble and buy it, (hopefully you'll be able to return if it's not all good) or ask if they have a DAC that you can demo with your chosen system in store.

All I can say is that I really like the Rotel amp, I didn't fancy the £100 extra for a remote either, but I don't know anything of those speakers, but you'll probably want a DAC, one with a USB would be a better investment than a cheaper CD player if most of your music is on the computer, so the DacMagic or the Beresford 7520/Caiman would be a good shout.

link

Feb 13, 2009
Visit site
google paradigm and you'll find some good reviews about their speakers.

but of course if they are accurate speakers, they won't hide recording imperfections.

A

Anonymous

Thanks everyone for their comments and suggestions!!

I did purchase the Rotel RA-04 after another round of auditioning and gotta say they have upgraded the sound coming out my rather flat Bose 201s, making them sound bearable..
emotion-1.gif

I intend to hear the Paradigm Mini Monitors and Titans this weekend to decide on the speaker. I also bought a budget Marantz 5003 and it sounds pretty good with the Rotel. I did a comparision between NadC515, CA340 and the 5003 before deciding the sound/price combo was best with the Marantz. 50% of my music is on the comp so i could look at the DAC in the near future but for now speakers are my priority.....

the dealer said the amp will sound much better after a few more hours of running in.....looking forward to that..

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts