ROTEL RA-03

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi there,

Does anyone know where I can get hold of a Rotel RA-03 integrated stereo amp, please?

I'm setting up my first separates system and have everything but the amp. Apparently they are kind of vital
emotion-1.gif

Take care,

Rachel

A

Anonymous

there is an ra-03 pre amp on ebay for around £65 then you would just need a power amp to go with it but may be another option.

monkeycat:

Hi there,

Does anyone know where I can get hold of a Rotel RA-03 integrated stereo amp, please?

I'm setting up my first separates system and have everything but the amp. Apparently they are kind of vital
emotion-1.gif

Take care,

Rachel

I've never seen a RA03 for sale anywhere, not even on fleebay. Might be worth calling Rotel in Worthing and asking whether they can point you in the right direction.http://www.rotel.com/uk/contact.htm

Hope this helps

A

Anonymous

floyd droid- I tried superfi; no joy I'm afraid, but thanks for pointing them out as it was worth giving it a go.

m1rfy- Thanks for the suggestion concerning the pre amp/ power amp route but it seems a bit complicated to me. The guy at Rotel (and all the other Rotel dealers actually) said I would have plenty of power using the RA-04 with my RCD-06 & B&W 685 combo as the RA-04's power is rated on the conservative side. What do you think?

plastic penguin- Thanks for the tip. I gave Rotel a call this afternoon, but no luck. They suggested I call UK Rotel dealers to see if they'd got any. I called quite a few and most seemed to think I was off my trolley as the RA-03 was discontinued a few years ago. Said that if I wanted the same wattage I'd have to buy the RA-06. Bit too pricey for me though
emotion-9.gif

Looks like the RA-04 or RA-06 are my only options if I stick with Rotel. Unless by some fluke of luck a RA-03 turns up second-hand.

EDITED by Mods - No trading. please.

The search goes on.........

A

Anonymous

One of the 40W versions would be excellent, some say sweeter in fact.

A

Anonymous

igglebert: One of the 40W versions would be excellent though, some say sweeter in fact.

Only if you have some sensitive speakers: The RA-04 with B&Ws 685s was a bit lacking in the drive/volume department, but probably fine for a smaller room than the 22ftx19ft unfurnished room I listened in!

A

Anonymous

Back again, I know you must all be a bit sick of my questions by now, but........

m1rfy- I had a look on ebay for the pre-amp you mentioned but couldn't see it. Are you able to send me the link please?

Hughes123- My room is only 12ft by 11ft, carpeted, with furniure/bookcases etc against all the walls. Any suggestions?

I have been offered an ex-demo RC-06 & RB-06 combo for £400 with 2 year warranty. It's REALLY REALLY stretching my budget though. What do you think of the price I've been offered?

I could get a secondhand NAD C352 for £220. Or a Linn Majik-i for £295. Any thoughts concerning these?

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Hows your search for the elusive going rachel ?. Ive been trawling around the web for you but it appears that you are going to have to do a rethink.

A

Anonymous

monkeycat:I have been offered an ex-demo RC-06 & RB-06 combo for £400 with 2 year warranty. It's REALLY REALLY stretching my budget though. What do you think of the price I've been offered?
Excellent pairing, very slightly better than the RA03. Personally I'd offer £300 for the pair or walk. When I got my RA03 in 2005 I was offered this pairing brand new for the same price, £450.

A

Anonymous

igglebert- Yeah, I think I'll have to leave that combo as it's DEFINITELY out of my price range.

floyd droid-Thanks for looking out for an amp for me. That's really kind of you
emotion-1.gif
People have been soooo helpful on here. It's definitely elusive, isn't it? I've tried internet sites, calling second-hand dealers, local hi-fi places (and really not so local places) but NO LUCK so far. I think I've got more chance of spinning round and changing into Wonder Woman than I have of finding this amp
emotion-1.gif

Off to try spinning round......

John Duncan

If you're intent on getting the '03, and your budget has stretched a bit, why not wait for a Primare A20 to show? I got mine for £315 and it rocks.

Alternatively, bearing in mind your musical preferences, I'd still consider the Exposure 2010, or even an old Rega Mira (the prettier mk2, not the one on ebay right now) or a Brio like this one, all of which you ought to be able to get for £250.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Shall we just keep hammering the primare option john until we get a result !!. Seriously rachel EDITED by Mods - no trading, please you will not be dissapointed if you go the shiny knobs route.

JohnDuncan:If you're intent on getting the '03, and your budget has stretched a bit, why not wait for a Primare A20 to show? I got mine for £315 and it rocks. Alternatively, bearing in mind your musical preferences, I'd still consider the Exposure 2010, or even an old Rega Mira (the prettier mk2, not the one on ebay right now) or a Brio like this one, all of which you ought to be able to get for £250.

Just an idle thought - an alternative to the RA-03 is to puchase RA-04 or 05 and when the budget allows bi-amp Rotel power amp. Like Arcam the Rotel flourishes with an additional power amp.

A

Anonymous

OK, so I've tried spinning round a couple of times, but haven't changed into Wonder Woman...yet
emotion-2.gif
Does this mean I'll find an RA-03? I seriously doubt it. Therefore, I have come to a decision......

Instead of making a panic buy I am going to wait a couple of weeks or so and see what turns up. I've been listening to music through the little speakers on my mac (yes, I did hear you all groan) for ages now so waiting a few more weeks for the right amp to turn up won't hurt and will be better in the long run.

JD- I'll still keep my eyes open for an Exposure 1020. I do like the idea of the Primare A20 though. I hadn't heard of them before (I only know mainstream names like Pioneer and Sony etc) but I've looked at comments and reviews on the net and people seem to love them. After seeing the pic you posted I'm inclined to agree. If the sound matches the looks then I'm sold on it
emotion-2.gif

f d- Yes, those shiny knobs do look pretty
emotion-1.gif
EDITED BY MODS - no trading, please

p p- I did consider the RA-04, as I could buy one new for £250. However, I thought I might get something a bit more powerful second-hand. As I'm in the middle of decorating the lounge at the moment it's probably best if I wait for a few weeks in the hope that something used comes up at a reasonable price in the mean time.

Of course, now, having decided to go the separates route, I wish I'd
bought the used Roksan Kandy KA-1 amp and cd player I'd seen advertised
before Christmas for £500. At the time I thought that was such a huge
amount to pay, but now I'm thinking it might have been a good deal.
Admittedly, I was only going by the look of it and the fact that it was
called ''Kandy'', but it did look sweet
emotion-1.gif

Once again, thanks to all for the help and advice. I've been so stressed trying to find the right separates combo and your input has been invaluable. You are absolute stars!

Take care,
Rachel

TRENDING THREADS