Rotel RA-02 as pre-amp

eclecticmonkey

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone have experience of using a rotel ra-02 amp as a pre- amp? The manual states that the volume control is active when used in this way so would appreciate some guidance ie what sort of level should one set the volume on the pre-amp?

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Not sure what you mean. Although I'm sure others can give a better and more technical explanation, my understanding is that a preamp is used to control the volume, so you'd set the volume at whatever volume you want to listen to. The power amp (usually) has no volume control.

Or are you planning to run the pre-outs as if they were line outs into another integrated amp or AV amp?

hoojtune73

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
had no experience with using the ra-02 as a pre but recently had to do the same thing with a creek integrated that would overheat at moderate listening levels driving tannoy dc6ts!

had to reinstate the old rb971s for heavy lifting duties.just be sure to plug in a headphone jack to ensure you switch out the rotels power amp circuit!

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
The pre amp controls the source out put into the line level of the 'power' amp.

if you are running the pre outs into another intergrated line level - set the level on the pre amp just before distortion and then use the volume control on the 2nd amp. The increased input level means you don't have to crank the intergrated to 11 to achieve 'normal' listening levels.

Best bet is to trade it all in and get a more powerful intergrated to drive your speakers.

newtohifijkt

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
ah this is similar to my setting.

i am using RA 06. If I use this as a pre-amp, and put in RB1580 or Audiolab 8200M. Will this sound better or I just be wasting money without no upgrade on sound quality? (as the pre-amp is the same).

TRENDING THREADS