Rotel + ProAc compatibility

dkontos

Apr 24, 2021
Visit site
I have a Rotel A11 Tribute 2x50W amp. A friend of mine is giving me a pair of ProAc Response D25 he has. Is my amp capable of driving these speakers in a 25-30 square meter room ? If anyone has the knowledge, please advice....
Thanks.

If he's giving them to you then surely you will find out?
there should be no issues as Rotel are always very conservative with power output figures and it's their current delivery that makes them good.
by the way it actually produces 2x75watts into 8 ohm and 2x105 watts into 4 ohms.

insider9

The speakers are way, way better than your amps capabilities. You won't get anywhere near enough of what they can do however you shouldn't have any issues so no need for immediate upgrade but with a proper amp these can be great.

Reactions: Al ears
there should be no issues as Rotel are always very conservative with power output figures and it's their current delivery that makes them good.
by the way it actually produces 2x75watts into 8 ohm and 2x105 watts into 4 ohms.
the speakers themselves are nominally 8 ohm and efficient at 88dB so a fairly easy drive and, in my opinion, excellent.
you have nice friends.... :)

I have a Rotel A11 Tribute 2x50W amp. A friend of mine is giving me a pair of ProAc Response D25 he has. Is my amp capable of driving these speakers in a 25-30 square meter room ? If anyone has the knowledge, please advice....
Thanks.
By the way quoting room size in square metres is not very helpful, it could be a long narrow room or a perfectly square one, best to state length and breadth.

dkontos

Apr 24, 2021
Visit site
I have not measured it, but I have read that it reaches around to 70-75W (8Ω) during some real tests....

dkontos

Apr 24, 2021
Visit site
The speakers are way, way better than your amps capabilities. You won't get anywhere near enough of what they can do however you shouldn't have any issues so no need for immediate upgrade but with a proper amp these can be great.
Can you suggest a couple of more efficient amps for these, up to around 1600 euros ? The Rotel 1572 could be a fair partner ?

insider9

Can you suggest a couple of more efficient amps for these, up to around 1600 euros ? The Rotel 1572 could be a fair partner ?
What's your source? These speakers will show you everything that's going on with your system. I'd be reticent suggesting anything other than you listen to your Rotel for now. The fact it isn't in the same league doesn't matter. You will probably get a lot of enjoyment from it for a good while knowing that when time comes speakers will have so much more to offer.

With speakers at this level should you upgrade the amp but have sub par source you will also not be getting the most of your system. To be fair that's at any level but the better speaker the more it will be evident. It's best to look at the whole picture and work out how you want to tackle your upgrade.

Also on a very practical note. Who's to say you will like the speakers and that they will work in your room. I like them but would I go out and buy them for going rate? No. As much as I appreciated many of their virtues there were some aspects I could not live with, however this could've been the room they were in. But bear in mind I'm a very picky guy and my tastes aren't exactly mainstream.

It's best to take it slow. Have a listen to them on the end of your system in your room. Post some thoughts and we'll do our best to help you. Your taste is very important and the amp needs to reflect that. Your listening habits from music to volume. Whether you're more into hifi magic (soundstage, detail) or more into music (rhythm, tone) there's so many ways to approach this. Spending money in this hobby is easy and however much you have to spend is never enough :ROFLMAO: So don't rush into it.

dkontos

Apr 24, 2021
Visit site
What's your source? These speakers will show you everything that's going on with your system. I'd be reticent suggesting anything other than you listen to your Rotel for now. The fact it isn't in the same league doesn't matter. You will probably get a lot of enjoyment from it for a good while knowing that when time comes speakers will have so much more to offer.

With speakers at this level should you upgrade the amp but have sub par source you will also not be getting the most of your system. To be fair that's at any level but the better speaker the more it will be evident. It's best to look at the whole picture and work out how you want to tackle your upgrade.

Also on a very practical note. Who's to say you will like the speakers and that they will work in your room. I like them but would I go out and buy them for going rate? No. As much as I appreciated many of their virtues there were some aspects I could not live with, however this could've been the room they were in. But bear in mind I'm a very picky guy and my tastes aren't exactly mainstream.

It's best to take it slow. Have a listen to them on the end of your system in your room. Post some thoughts and we'll do our best to help you. Your taste is very important and the amp needs to reflect that. Your listening habits from music to volume. Whether you're more into hifi magic (soundstage, detail) or more into music (rhythm, tone) there's so many ways to approach this. Spending money in this hobby is easy and however much you have to spend is never enough :ROFLMAO: So don't rush into it.
Up to now, I listen through a Marantz CD5001 to CDs 100%, and B&W 601 S3 speakers, mostly (90%) to jazz, blues, vocals and music involving physical instruments. Of course i also listen to some Depeche, Massive Attack and soundtrack stuff. So, I would prefer something that haw good results in vocals and physical instruments, with good imaging,

rainsoothe

Hi. I think "fair" for these speakers might be something like a sh Naim Supernait 2 and a Denafrips Ares 2 DAC for your Marantz cdp, or maybe a Hegel H120 (which has an integrated DAC). I'd hold on 'til I could reach this level of gear, and firstly just keep your system as is for a while, see how they match your room and tastes.

Reactions: insider9

insider9

Hi. I think "fair" for these speakers might be something like a sh Naim Supernait 2 and a Denafrips Ares 2 DAC for your Marantz cdp, or maybe a Hegel H120 (which has an integrated DAC). I'd hold on 'til I could reach this level of gear, and firstly just keep your system as is for a while, see how they match your room and tastes.
I like how you're thinking.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts