Rotel power amps

vonchief

Dec 21, 2008
Visit site
Hi all,

Can any one describe how the sound compares between the class a/b and class d rotel power amps.

I would like to change my 1070 to a 15 series to match the rest of my equipment but am unsure of any sonic differences between class a/b and d.

Any information greatly received.

Richard Allen

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
vonchief:

Hi all,

Can any one describe how the sound compares between the class a/b and class d rotel power amps.

I would like to change my 1070 to a 15 series to match the rest of my equipment but am unsure of any sonic differences between class a/b and d.

The difference between class A/B and D are fundamental.

Class D, by the very name of it, is a digital amplifier. Benefits: small size, 90%+ efficient but, at full power, they suffer from reasonably high distortion. However, the bandwidth is wide. A good class D amp will outperform an A/B any day.

Rotel have always made good amps, no matter what the format. If they have decided to go down the 'D' format, I'm sure they will work just fine. More and more companies are doing it. Bel Canto being one.

vonchief

Dec 21, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for that,

Would you have any idea about the tonal differences between the two types, or is no such generalisation possible ?

carter

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Richard Allen:vonchief:

Hi all,

The difference between class A/B and D are fundamental.

Class D, by the very name of it, is a digital amplifier. Benefits: small size, 90%+ efficient but, at full power, they suffer from reasonably high distortion. However, the bandwidth is wide. A good class D amp will outperform an A/B any day.

Rotel have always made good amps, no matter what the format. If they have decided to go down the 'D' format, I'm sure they will work just fine. More and more companies are doing it. Bel Canto being one.
i didnt think you coud get a real digital amp,does class d realy mean its digital?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts