Rotel Integrated Amplifier 1990s

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello everyone, this is my first time on here.
emotion-1.gif
I am after some advice as my dad has asked me to come on here for some help from you experts.
emotion-21.gif

He has asked me for anyone who knows that the award-winning Rotel integrated amplifier was in the 1990s that had no tone controls. He currently has a Pioneer A-400 amp but would like to know if this Rotel amplifier is still available and is as good as the Pioneer? The Rotel cost about £500 and was at the time regarded as one of the best.

If anyone out there can help then that would be very much appreciated.

Steve

A

Anonymous

Hi Steve, obviously that particular amp has been replaced by other improved rotel amps. Which comes to mind the 04 or 05 would be it's equivalent.Look on their web page or check the net for it used.Who knows?, your dad might be able to recognize it if the seller has a photo.

John Duncan

evenstephen:
Hello everyone, this is my first time on here.
emotion-1.gif
I am after some advice as my dad has asked me to come on here for some help from you experts.
emotion-21.gif

He has asked me for anyone who knows that the award-winning Rotel integrated amplifier was in the 1990s that had no tone controls. He currently has a Pioneer A-400 amp but would like to know if this Rotel amplifier is still available and is as good as the Pioneer? The Rotel cost about £500 and was at the time regarded as one of the best.

If anyone out there can help then that would be very much appreciated.

Steve

Loads did, from the RA820BX4 (or something) onwards. Any more info?

A

Anonymous

JohnDuncan:The answer to "is it still available" is of course no, except perhaps on eBay. I found the late 80s/early 90s Rotels a bit brash and swapped mine out for.......get this.....an Arcam
emotion-2.gif

We've all had an Arcam at some point or another!

John Duncan

igglebert:JohnDuncan:The answer to "is it still available" is of course no, except perhaps on eBay. I found the late 80s/early 90s Rotels a bit brash and swapped mine out for.......get this.....an Arcam
emotion-2.gif

We've all had an Arcam at some point or another!

shhh....

A

Anonymous

It would say to your dad, be very carefull changing his pioneer a400 for anything under £500 even today, ÿyour dad probably knows a400's need a good source(cd player e.c.t). cant think of the rotel at that price then but had many up to £300 and i wouldnt take a chance like that without auditioning them side by side.

RobJ72

May 4, 2008
Visit site
I had a Rotel RA 935BX which I bought c1994 following a very positive review in What Hi Fi. This was without tone controls and had a split volume control rather than volume & balance but wasn't as expensive as £500 - I recall it costing about £200. I demoed it against the A400X at the time and to be honest the Pioneer was a little better sonically but I had already settled on the matching Rotel CD & tuner...

up the music

Mar 13, 2008
Visit site
Rotels integrated amps have model no's prefixed by RA, their pre amps RC and their power amps RB.

I can't think of which model you may be referring.
Many of their pre/power combinations came close to that price, I can only remember the RA820, RA840 and RA870 range of integrated amps, none of which are near the price.

As earlier posters have said, the A400 would still make a good budget amp. If it's sound still satisfies and it has all the inputs you need don't bother to change it. Why the particular interest in the Rotel? Has something been offered or seen cheap? I'm sure the good folk on here could come up with any number of other recommendations for a new/second hand amp for any given budget.

A

Anonymous

A little late for a reply i know .... but i also believe the amp your thinking about is the Rotel 935bx .... no tone controls, no phono stage and if i recall correctly , a What Hi-Fi amp of the year back in 1993.

My first hi-fi consisted of this amplifier , a marantz cd52mkII and mission speakers fed with linn k20 speaker wire.........and i loved it!

I had saved for some time at the age of 23 to buy this system and still have the rotel amp stored away.... never to be sold may i add.

My present amp is a £900 yamaha rx-v2600 av receiver and in my opinion does not sound as good as the rotel does/did, but as i mainly watch films now and music via my ipod its easier to have just the one set up.

i wonder how much you'd have to spend on an amp now to get something as good a sound as that particular amp sounds, i'd like to see what hi-fi compare that budget amp to something current ... just a thought?

Cheers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts