Room Set Up

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi All,

Just purchased the Onkyo 606 with Kef 2005.2s and wondered what the thoughts were on the best set up for a fairly standard rectangular modern living room (5m x 3.5m). Naturally I am aware of the options, ie stand or on the wall, but just wondered what would give the best delivery, and if on the wall where to position ie either side of Television or in the high in the corners for the fronts, corners or more noticeable at the back (her indoors doesn't appear desperately keen on the wall option, however she may be persuaded . . . . new shoes etc etc). The TV is on the wall and predominant use would be films and PS3. Many thanks in advance.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
The advantage of stands is that you can move the speakers into their optimal postion when you need to, and stick them out of the way when you don't. This is even more important if your TV is in a corner, and not in the centre of a flat wall.

The centre. Not surprisingly, should be dead centre of the TV. Below TV tends to be favoured, but mine is mounted about 3 or 4 inches above the TV and It's not an issue.

Ideally, the left & right speakers should be around 1' from the sides of the TV, give or take a few inches. The left & right speakers relay information that is happening on the visible sides of the screen. Hence too far from the TV, the gap between centre speaker and either left or right speaker will have a 'hole' in it, and steering between channels won't be as smooth as it should be. Too close to the TV, you'll lose the surround effect and it'll sound as if it's all coming at you from the centre speaker.

Surround channels (and I'm talking 5.1 here, not 6.1 or 7.1) tend to sound best around 45 degrees behind your seating position (rear corner of adjoining walls are probably the most likely location, if your seating position is against the back wall, farther forward if you sit away from the back wall). I would mount the surround channels at the same height as the front speakers if I possibly could, but a touch higher shouldn't cause you any woes.

To be honest. The best way to decide on speaker placements is to have a play around and see what you find suits you the best. You may find you prefer to deviate from my recommendations, ie. Moving the front left/right speakers farther away, or closer to your TV. Again, stands help in this regard.

I would recommend having the relating speakers (Front left & right, Surround left & right) the same distance from your seating position if you can.

A

Anonymous

Many thanks for that, much appreciated.

I'll have a play around and get it sorted.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
walkerm50:
Many thanks for that, much appreciated.

I'll have a play around and get it sorted.

No worries. Good luck and enjoy your play.

:)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts