Rookie here!

proklos

Jan 4, 2016
Visit site
Hi guys! My girlfriend just bought me a turntable and I discovered that my father has a huge vinyl collection. I got really fast into the idea of setting up my own system but since I have zero experience with audio equipment I have a few questions.. (like how can all of you not be broke already:p)

After browsing the site and the forums I am leaning towards buying a pair of monitor audio BX2s. My turntable has intergrated speakers so I am guessing there is some sort of amplifier in there, but will it be enough? (it has only one pair of stereo outputs) Will I need additional devices (pre amp - final amp - maybe just an amp?)

Are these two speakers enough to support adding my tv into the equation? Or is it silly to do so without a sub and a center piece? Do I need these extra speakers for music anyway?

I understand I must sound like child to you guys but I am really enthusiastic and looking forward to your feedback!

iMark

proklos said:
My turntable has intergrated speakers so I am guessing there is some sort of amplifier in there, but will it be enough? (it has only one pair of stereo outputs) Will I need additional devices (pre amp - final amp - maybe just an amp?)

I don't want to be too negative, but one of those turntables aren't considered HiFi. At best, they don't damage your precious records. I have had a look at these players like Crossley and Ion. They are plastic rubbish. I think it's unbelieivable that there are people that will spend the equivalent of €20 or more on a record and then play them on a player of around €100.

For proper HiFi playback you need a turntable with at least a moving magnet cartridge, needle pressure that you can set on the tonearm and anti-skating. Then you need an integrated amp and a pair of speakers.

proklos

Jan 4, 2016
Visit site
Well that was a little demoralising... We are in college so I don't think she could afford any better, my father has two thorens(?) turntables, I will raid their attic first chance I get. Other than that all I need is an amplifier? How do I know if the turntable has an intergrated one?

iMark

proklos said:
Well that was a little demoralising... We are in college so I don't think she could afford any better, my father has two thorens(?) turntables, I will raid their attic first chance I get. Other than that all I need is an amplifier? How do I know if the turntable has an intergrated one?

A classic (pre CD!) HiFi setup would be:

-Tturntable

-Integrated amplifier

-Stereo speakers

When I was a teenager though, here in NL a lot of people bought integrated solutions from brands like Philips, Dual etc. Very popular with students. The record player was mounted in a console, toghether with the amp. Speakers were seperate. Some of these came with an FM tuner and later they had cassette decks included. Obviously these big consoles were compomises, but they also were a good starting point, especially if they included a decent record player from Dual or Philips.

I think there is a market again for properly built integrated entry level solutions of a record player, amplfier and possibly speakers. I don't see anyone making them.

But to answer your question: a Thorens from the attic could be a great starting point. It might need a service though. As far as I know, quite a few modern amps from brands like Denon, Marantz and Yamaha have got an integrated phono stage. If an amp has got a setting "phono" for the input selector, you're in business.

I was talking to a nephew the other day about HiFi when I was his age. He thought life was a lot easier back then. Far fewer choices.

proklos

Jan 4, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for your help Mark! I dug out a thorens TD 145 and a rotel RA 612 amplifier, both in (relatively) good condition. Do you know how can I test the needle without damaging a record? There was a lot of humidity where they where stored and I'm worried that the needle isn't in good shape... I am sorry if I'm tiring you with these questions:)

iMark

proklos said:
Thanks for your help Mark! I dug out a thorens TD 145 and a rotel RA 612 amplifier, both in (relatively) good condition. Do you know how can I test the needle without damaging a record? There was a lot of humidity where they where stored and I'm worried that the needle isn't in good shape... I am sorry if I'm tiring you with these questions:)

This could be a good read for you about the Thorens TD 145.

http://vinylnirvana.com/vintage-turntables-for-sale/thorens-td-145-starter-package-wow/

You can take the headshell off the tonearm (the bit that includes the cartridge). You could take that to a dealer and have the needle inspected. This saves you lugging the whole turntable to a dealer. A visible inspection with a magnifying glass could give you a clue. If you don't want to risk any records, just get a replacement needle straight away..

The Rotel looks really interesting. It's not as powerful as modern amps, but it's got a very interesting feature: you can connect two turntables to it, in case you really get the bug.

The Rotel could probably do with a service too. I would ask around in your area, probably through a dealer, if there is someone around that services vintage HiFi.

Enjoy the vintage gear!

AntAxon

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
proklos said:

If you have any Morrissey LP's you could try them. Not even a damaged needle could make them sound any worse.

rainsoothe

AntAxon said:
proklos said:

If you have any Morrissey LP's you could try them. Not even a damaged needle could make them sound any worse.

OH, SNAP! +1 :)))

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts