Roksan, Rotel or Arcam Amp

T

the record spot

First, I'd wonder why I only have three choices, if only for the benefit of anyone else looking in who might normally consider more?

A

Anonymous

Morning! Don't think I'm qualified to offer any focused advice here. The Rotel amps are excellent but I can't help thinking they're going to let your speakers down. I had the RA03 and as much as I loved it the midrange was a tiny bit lacking in detail and the bass wasn't the tightest. Very entertaining amp though and the 06SE might well improve on these areas. Their tonal balance was always good to me and I always felt that the sound and vocals had a nice realism to them.

Never liked the Kandy Mk III myself, too forward and clinical. You might love it, many do!

The Alpha 10 is an excellent amp and possibly the best on the list. Thing is, it's not very new so would benefit from a service including new capacitors (an uneducated opinion).

Audition if you can but I'd be deliberating between the 6SE and the Alpha 10 + service. Seeing as you have the Alpha 10 then a service and possibly a 10power would be ideal! Do you not like it?

igglebert:Morning! Don't think I'm qualified to offer any focused advice here. The Rotel amps are excellent but I can't help thinking they're going to let your speakers down. I had the RA03 and as much as I loved it the midrange was a tiny bit lacking in detail and the bass wasn't the tightest. Very entertaining amp though and the 06SE might well improve on these areas. Their tonal balance was always good to me and I always felt that the sound and vocals had a nice realism to them. Never liked the Kandy Mk III myself, too forward and clinical. You might love it, many do! The Alpha 10 is an excellent amp and possibly the best on the list. Thing is, it's not very new so would benefit from a service including new capacitors (an uneducated opinion). Audition if you can but I'd be deliberating between the 6SE and the Alpha 10 + service. Seeing as you have the Alpha 10 then a service and possibly a 10power would be ideal! Do you not like it?

I think with the Arcam CDP the Roksan would be great. Certainly, Kandy LIII worked very well with my CD73T and MAs.

As regards the Rotel RA-06SE, I would seriously go for the 1520 (albeit £100 more), this will push the PMCs a lot more than the Arcam. Can't comment on the pre/power combo.

Dougal1331

Dec 30, 2007
Visit site
igglebert:

Never liked the Kandy Mk III myself, too forward and clinical. You might love it, many do!

Oh yus indeed sir.

Lob a KMA-2/3 power amp in (if you can find one) and it becomes a very different beast... Sounds far more gutsy and well-balanced. I biamp my 753s and the results are breathtaking!

Edmundo:These are My option's - Roksan Kandy iii, Rotel Ra-06se, Rotel Rc-06 pre amp with Rb-06 pwr amp 0r Arcam alpha 10. What would you do?

Hi Edmundo

I would not recommend changing the Alpha10 to any of the others listed. If you still feel the need to change than in the first instance consider Rotel's RA-1062. The RA-1062 is imo the finest amplifier Rotel have produced in the last ten years and will provide a noticeable difference over the Alpha 10. For a big improvement over the Alpha 10 (budget depending) you need to look at Naim's XS integrated amplifier.

Thanks

Rick @ Musicraft

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I agree with Rick

The Alpha 10 is a stonking amp and the above list wont better it really.

I think something along the lines of adding the Arcam Alpha 10?P power amp would be a good move but not sure if your speakers can be bi-amped?

A

Anonymous

Thankyou all for your input the 10 is a great amp, but through my pmc' s lacks a bit of engagement and sound stage unless you really turn it up its like I can't quite put my finger on it. It lacks that I want to sit there for hours listening to my music.

On the other hand my father has the ra-04 with Ma br2, its not quite as detailed but you don't want to leave great sound. Hence my reason for looking at rotel. Budget is tight so looking at 2nd hand was a fool though a 2 month old 1520 went for 450 on ebay could have had it but I decicded to think about it for to long DOH!

A

Anonymous

Well, one thing the Rotel amps have in common is soul!

You thought about looking for something from Exposure on the used market?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Edmundo: Thankyou all for your input the 10 is a great amp, but through my pmc' s lacks a bit of engagement and sound stage unless you really turn it up its like I can't quite put my finger on it. It lacks that I want to sit there for hours listening to my music.

The Alpha 10 was quite different to the rest of the Alpha range. The Alpha range were quite a warm, easy going sound, but the 10 marked the start of a more balanced approach from Arcam, with more bass control, producing a less colourful sound. This worked great with some speakers, and many welcomed the 'tighter' sound of the 10, and the DiVA range that followed. As much as I think the 10 is better than the 9, the 9 had something. It also suited the numerous speakers that were emerging at the time with a more upfront sound, because it could tame them, making them far easier to listen to.

As good a recommendation of an Alpha 10p power amp is, it might be worth looking at trying an Alpha 9p power amp. Whether you use this to warm up the bass/midrange or give the treble a softer, sweeter sound is up to you. Worth a try, as I think adding the 10p is just going to give you more of the same.

TRENDING THREADS