Roksan Kandy K2 for a turntable based system?

peter312

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I am looking to set up a turntable based system in my home office and would appreciate some feedback and thoughts.
I have not bought any equipment yet, but the turntable will likely be a Pro-ject or Rega up to about £400 or so. I also have yet to decide on speakers, but they will need to be smaller stand, shelf or wall mounted. I seen a Roksan Kandy 2 amplifier at a really good price and would appreciate peoples thoughts on it. I mostly listen to 70's and 80's pop (e.g. ELO, Queen, Fleetwood Mac, Ultravox) and classical music (although not opera).Many thanks

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
Hi there,

the marantz pearl lite is a great sounding amplifier. You can compare it to the roksan at Superfi. Give them both a listen and let us know how how you get on.

cheers tonky

peter312 said:
I am looking to set up a turntable based system in my home office and would appreciate some feedback and thoughts.
I have not bought any equipment yet, but the turntable will likely be a Pro-ject or Rega up to about £400 or so. I also have yet to decide on speakers, but they will need to be smaller stand, shelf or wall mounted. I seen a Roksan Kandy 2 amplifier at a really good price and would appreciate peoples thoughts on it. I mostly listen to 70's and 80's pop (e.g. ELO, Queen, Fleetwood Mac, Ultravox) and classical music (although not opera).Many thanks

Best to go for any amp with built-in phono stage. So look at Marantz, Arcam, Rega, Rotel... but do try and audition before buying then at least you'll know what speakers will be best with the intended amp.

MakkaPakka

May 25, 2013
Visit site
An £800 turntable and a £400 amplifier makes far more sense than a £400 turntable and £800 amplifier.

Spending loads of an amp won't necessarily lead to any improvement in sound quality but spending more on the turntable and speakers will.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
The K2 has been out a while now and I seen it new for under £650, so its good value, my impression on 2 demos was its has quite a bit of power and bass but lacks in clarity. I note a few users on here have soon upgraded from it. The best amp I heard it that price range was the Creek 50A but I don't think it has a phono stage, so you will have to add £80 or so for that. For your sort of music I would look at the Rega Brio R and maybe Arcam A19, Marantz Pearl Lite also worth considering.

dansettemajor

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
My wife and I auditioned the Roksan K2 against the Marantz Pearl Lite, and bought the Roksan. Power, depth and insight, with a much more rhythmic bass than the Marantz. Superb build quality as well.

plastic penguin said:
peter312 said:

Best to go for any amp with built-in phono stage. So look at Marantz, Arcam, Rega, Rotel... but do try and audition before buying then at least you'll know what speakers will be best with the intended amp.

And there was me thinking the Roksan had an inbuilt phono stage, and quite a good one at that. :)

The Roksan amps I have owned have all had excellent phono stage as you would expect from a class turntable manufacturer!

Alears said:
plastic penguin said:
peter312 said:

And there was me thinking the Roksan had an inbuilt phono stage, and quite a good one at that. :)

Yarp - I was trying to avoid a duplication. I presume the OP knows that the Kandy has a in-built phono stage.

plastic penguin said:
Alears said:
plastic penguin said:
peter312 said:

Yarp - I was trying to avoid a duplication. I presume the OP knows that the Kandy has a in-built phono stage.

He does now!

Sorry PP but the way I read your post sort of implied it didn't so he'd be better going for something that did...if you see what I mean.:)

ISAC69

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
I own the Roksan Kandy K2 an excellent amp or its price ,However the the build-in phono stage is decent but not great maybe you should consider

an amp and external phono stage .

Alears said:
plastic penguin said:
Alears said:
plastic penguin said:
peter312 said:

He does now!

Sorry PP but the way I read your post sort of implied it didn't so he'd be better going for something that did...if you see what I mean.:)

Fairy snuff. The same way, I suppose, if the OP has titled it: Arcam amp for a turntable based system, I wouldn't mention Arcam again with any of the suggestions. Know wot I mean, Al... ;)

plastic penguin said:
Alears said:
plastic penguin said:
Alears said:
plastic penguin said:
peter312 said:

He does now!

Fairy snuff. The same way, I suppose, if the OP has titled it: Arcam amp for a turntable based system, I wouldn't mention Arcam again with any of the suggestions. Know wot I mean, Al... ;)

Gotcha! He said with a knowing wink. :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts