Roksan Kandy K2 amp

subseastu

Sep 12, 2007
Visit site
Hi all

My local hifi shop is selling off a roksan kandy K2 ex demo amp for 765quid. Does anyone think that this is A) a good deal and B) a step up from my current amp (see my signature). If it is a step up from the NAD how does it differ. Before anyone asks I can't go for a listen as I'm sat in egypt at the moment!!!

Look forward to the opinions

subseastu

Sep 12, 2007
Visit site
Ok, cool. I'm a bit worried about matching with my speakers though. He also has the matching cd player at the same price. Also how do the kandy amps compare to the naim amps?

SteveR750

I upgraded rom NAD C352 to K2 and the improvement was significant. Similar style of presentation to my ears, on the warm, generous with power, huge clout, but a lot more sophisticated - more detail, and poise, definitely an iron fist in a velvet glove.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I guess it's a step up from your Nad but I had mixed feelings about that amplifier after having the K2 system at home.

I found it very hifi sounding, sweet treble and all that but it sounded to 'loose' and didn't control either my speakers or some Monitor Audio Floorstanders I had here too. I found that my Denon with lower power asserted more control and some subsequent playing around at my dealers had me prefer an Arcam amplifier (A38). The K2 sounded better with well damped speakers, some Kef's made nice sounds.

As always, my opinion only.

subseastu

Sep 12, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for the advice so far people. I think my main problem here is the fact that not many people have my speakers (indeed its hard to find any sort of write up on them!) THe problem I have is that the bass sounds a bit loose and muffled. Its a nice warm sound but it seems to sacrifice some detail. I don't really want to get rid of my speakers if I can help it (the wife would kill me!). THe room its all in is about 4.5m x 4.5m so not big and not small. I'm not interested in massive volumes and bass just a nice warm, detailed sound.

Anymore thought folks?

SonofSun

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
The K2 will be a big improvement on the nad. The K2 is not in the slightest bit fatiguing, and has a lovely sweet treble. It is not perfect, maybe the bass can be a little loose, but what amp is? I would definitely recommend it.

Can certainly be had for less on ebay or used on forum classifieds.

subseastu

Sep 12, 2007
Visit site
THanks again. I think I'll try to hang on and see if one comes up on fleabay cheaper as this dealers price does seem a little high.

Come to think of it does anyone have any other suggestions for a slightly warm, detailed non tiring amp that can control bass reasonably well with my exsisting speakers? 2nd hand / ex demo would be good about the 700 quid mark.

A

Anonymous

I would advise care with matching, and certainly a demo (when you're back from Egypt). I bought this amp shortly after it came out, based on excellent reviews and a demo with different speakers than those I would be using at home (MA GS10s). When I got it home, I found the bass wooly, and detail lacking. It also needed to be cranked right up to get anything approaching decent volume. I replaced it with a Cyrus 8vs2, a brand I had always avoided, as I worried they would be too bright and in your face (until the Kandy, I had always used Arcam, just to give you a flavour for the direction I usually go). It was a complete revelation, with brilliant detail and attack, but still warm, and well controlled bass, and the volume rarely goes above 10 o'clock on the dial.

I subsequently sold the K2 to a friend with Linn Katan speakers (after a prolonged home demo, as I was anxious not to sell him a pup), and wow, what a difference. The Linns sing with the K2, with real punch, drive and a big but detailed sound.

I am afraid I'm not familiar with your existing amp, cdp or speakers, but my experience is that depending on matching, the K2 can range from hugely disappointing to intoxicatingly brilliant.

Hold your fire, and demo when you can. You may also find that Arcam kit gives the style of sound that you are seeking.

Cheers,

Shuggie

subseastu

Sep 12, 2007
Visit site
THanks for that. Trouble is I'm bored at work in egypt and my finger is hovering over the buy it button!! Must resisted. I'll see if its still there when I get back and take it from there. Must admit I've never really considered arcam.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
To give you an example, compared to the Roksan, Arcam's A38 sounds slightly less weighty and the soundstage was more recessed, less forward. I thought it had better focus, control and detail whilst avoiding being clinical. Imo a very good product but expensive at full RRP and bettered by Naim's XS (and now probably some others, I've lost a little touch with what's available) but that's subjective and just the way I felt.

If one is fun loving teenager, the other is a more considerate, experienced 30 year old but not the pedestrian old man some make him out to be ...

subseastu

Sep 12, 2007
Visit site
Cheers for the comparison, something I shall certainly bear in mind. It seems that speakers obviously have a big influence on the sound produced, I'm a bit worried that my royal towers have a warm sound so would matching it to a K2 make the sound really woolly?

A

Anonymous

I think that is a risk you would run if you buy blind (or deaf as it were). I really do think you have to demo with the rest of your kit to be sure. When I got the Cyrus, the guys at Sevenoaks in Bristol let me take it for a home demo, with a deposit on my card to make sure I didn't run off with it. Any good dealer should offer the same, or recreate your setup in their listening room. That's the benefit of buying from a dealer, you may pay a bit more, but you get a better service.

I would go to some dealers, tell them the sound you are looking for, and listen to a range of kit before choosing. You may find that something with a mediocre review suits you perfectly and that something with 5 stars doesn't. Or vice versa. The fun is in finding out.

Resist the temptation to click "buy it now", and set aside a weekend for demoing when you return.

Look forward to hearing what you end up with.

A

Anonymous

In that price range you'd be daft not to take your time and listen to all the amps mentioned here. I would also include the Naim Nait 5i, but then I would, given it's my amp and I love it!

subseastu:Cheers for the comparison, something I shall certainly bear in mind. It seems that speakers obviously have a big influence on the sound produced, I'm a bit worried that my royal towers have a warm sound so would matching it to a K2 make the sound really woolly?

Although not heard Dalis, from what I've heard on here they should match well with Kandy. If you're considering the Naim, it's a really good amp but so different to the Kandy. If you have no way of auditioning different amps in Egypt, the Kandy is the safer option.

subseastu

Sep 12, 2007
Visit site
THanks every one for the advice. So it looks like the sensible option is of course go to a few dealers and see if I can get a take home demo of these amps. So a short list seems to be the kandy K2, naim 5i, and the arcam. I think for a reasonable step in quality over my Nad thats the sort of range I'm looking at. Even better if I can get on ex demo / 2nd hand.

I'll let you kind folks know the out come when I get back to blighty and persueded the missus to let me go ahead and demo this stuff!!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts