Roksan Kandy III speaker match

Blainetoner

Feb 5, 2008
Visit site
Hi All,

I am planning to set up a dedicated listening room in my house in a medim to small sized space, and have a lot of verious bits of kit that I am planning to build a new system

I have a Roksan Kandy mk III that with a pair of KEF Q55s that I have never been all that happy with. These are used in the living room with a Humax PVR and Apple TV. I also have an old pair of KEF C20s that got from aunt many years ago and set of hefty Atama speaker stands, but with a toddler in the living room, these live in our bedroom at the mo plugged into a Marantz PM66SE KI SIg. I also have a Marantz CD6000KI which is unfortunately broken by plan to get repaired....and also have rotel RA-931 amp that I have at work.

I listen to a lot of my music these days via the computer and Spotify (320kbps version) via air play to an Apple TV. or through the amp at work.

I am therefor on the look out for something that is going to provide a proper hifi sound that is also an upgrade to what I used to have. I am looking for a pair of speaker that will work perfectly in a small space and that will be happiest up against a wall.

I am also planning on getting an Arcam rDac to sit between the computer and the amp.

Can anyone recommend either a new or 2nd hand pair of speakers that would work amazingly with one or any of the amps above? I listen to jazz, electronica, soul and classical.

Cheers in advance.

woodster

Jun 24, 2007
Visit site
Roksan and B&W CM8's sound pretty sweet, especially with the Audiolab 8200, but pretty fine with sonos, or spotify streamed via apple tv also.

All round I love the match, sweet sound and pretty aesthetically pleasing also.

Blainetoner

Feb 5, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the replies....

Due to the size of the room, I need something that is a litle smaller and that arent relient on being in a bit of free air....and can sit against a wall more happily than something with a rear port.

My budget is £3-400. Wondering if getting a set of B&W685s or KEFQ300s would be the best thing to go for, or if there's something that could be got 2nd hand that would give me something better? I think my main concern is the rear wall thing.

Dougal1331

Dec 30, 2007
Visit site
You should get a pair of Dynaudio Audience 42/52 second hand for that money...

Also, look out for specials on the (current range) DM2/6- slightly over your budget but I reckon they'd tick yer boxes.

Imagine they'd work well with either amp, but my judgement is based on the Roksan- I used to own one!

Blainetoner

Feb 5, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for that. I have always been a fan of those Dynaudios....I remember reading reviews of them when they came out and wanting a pair. How are they on placement? Are they ok up against a wall?

Also always liked the original Quad 11Ls as well as 21Ls......Wonder'd if anyone had experience of these with the Kandy and if they could be placed agaisnt a wall ok?

jimmylee73

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Hi Blainetoner,

I have a pair of Quad 22L2. Last year these were hooked up to a Kandy MK111. They sounded pretty good.

I am now using them with a Leema Pulse and I've experienced an improvement, especially with bass control but that was expected.

The Kandy/Quad combination worked well and the Kandy certainly was gutsy enough to drive them.

With the quads, room accoustics are quite important and they need space around them. I have high ceilings, suspended timber floor, large bay window and bare walls and don't think this does anything for the sound and is something I intend to address!

TRENDING THREADS