Roksan K3 and Abrahamsen V2 UP

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
radiorog said:
iQ Speakers said:
What were your thought on build quality?

Very good obviously.It seemed built like a tank from what I saw, and I put an ear to the casing to see how loud the transformer was, and it was silent, which did surprise me. Couldn't hear a thing *good*
mine is silent even if I have the volume upto 55 . Did you pick up the abrahamsen 2up and feel the Wight it's heavy

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
radiorog said:
iQ Speakers said:

Very good obviously.It seemed built like a tank from what I saw, and I put an ear to the casing to see how loud the transformer was, and it was silent, which did surprise me. Couldn't hear a thing *good*
mine is silent even if I have the volume upto 55 . Did you pick up the abrahamsen 2up and feel the Wight it's heavy

No, I didn't, this was Burnsie's pride and joy. I know it weighs a few kilos more than the k3 though, which is no lightweight.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
radiorog said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
radiorog said:
iQ Speakers said:

No, I didn't, this was Burnsie's pride and joy. I know it weighs a few kilos more than the k3 though, which is no lightweight.
it's 16 kg - (32ibs) the CD player is just as heavy

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
plastic penguin said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Good review I do not get the dirty sound that you heard with the speakers that I am using mine comes across clear and detailed but what your got to remember is the K3 costs £1299 the abrahamsen £899 and the abrahamsen will not clip or have any distortion Evan if you have the volume at 60 the abrahamsen is a powerhouse of an amp . I am sure the K3 is a very good amplifier but with the abrahamsen your getting an amplifier that would worth around £2500 which I can not afford so it's a bargain in its own right plus you can add a abrahamsen power amp if you wanted too or buy a abrahamsen pre amp and 2 power amplifiers and run a power amp on each speaker but I find at the moment the abrahamsen 2up does what I want it to do .?

That's true but...

It is only sold online and it doesn't have in-built phono stage for us vinylheads. Factor in a good phono stage, the quality of the Roksan, and it doesn't seem such a good deal.

Roksan make the amp - they have to make a profit. Roksan use Henley as a UK distributor - they need to make a profit. Henley sell it to high street retailers - they need...

Geddit?
yes that's the only drawback no phono stage but you can buy a separate phono stage and use one of the inputs if you did want to have a TT
I actually like that it doesnt have a phono stage as i dont use vinyl. I would favour it if my k3 didnt have one and save some money on the rrp. This is another reason why the Abe can be sold at such a good price.

hht

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Raidillon said:
...IT would be nice, an amp just build for what iT should be, efficiency, no dac, no Bluetooth, no phonostage,

just sound......

Totally agree. DACs improve with quality too quickly to make me feel comfortable having one in an amp unless it was upgradeable. And yeah, all other features not necessary. Would rather buy individual plug in gizmos that can be upgraded. Maybe having them in the amp decreases signal path though...I don't know?

Raidillon

Jan 30, 2015
Visit site
IT certainly increases the total cost of the amp whithout adding any bonuses to the sound, on the contrary, but hell, what marketing wants....

So we could ask Abe to make one ? IT would be a "legera" version of the 2up, but unlike Ferrari, cheaper than it's full version !

TRENDING THREADS