Roksan K2 CDS Vs Marantz CD63SE

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
Thanks Cno, I had missed it. Sorry!

The Linn sounds interesting, but I'm wary about spending money on another older player. I'm getting close to the point where the hi-fi won't be a drain on my finances for quite some time, and getting a long-term CD player is really the last piece of the jigsaw for the time being. Otherwise, I would probably just stick with the RCD965BX as it is such a good player.

I thought you had, because it's not like you to ignore a response.

Over the last few years, I have followed your rather convoluted journey in persuit of euphonic contentment, and felt it was worth a mention.

IMO. It's a Highend CDP, that has the type of sound that I believe you are striving for. If you have read the link, you will realize that it was ahead of its time and built to last.....and sounds quite different to most CDPs.

Anyway, if you change your mind, let me know; and if you don't, then there's no harm done.

Glad you are getting so much pleasure from your system atm, and quite understand your reservations.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
Hi Freddy. Thanks for pointing that out. However, I do feel a certain loyalty towards 3 local dealers, each of whom have been very helpful at various times.

A lot to be said for using someone local. The main thing imo is the ability to be able to take something back if anything goes wrong. I bought my pairing (RA 1570/RCD 1570) from Canterbury Hi-Fi which was a 360 mile round trip, but it meant a saving of around £600. Fingers crossed nothing goes wrong.

CnoEvil said:
matthewpiano said:
Thanks Cno, I had missed it. Sorry!

The Linn sounds interesting, but I'm wary about spending money on another older player. I'm getting close to the point where the hi-fi won't be a drain on my finances for quite some time, and getting a long-term CD player is really the last piece of the jigsaw for the time being. Otherwise, I would probably just stick with the RCD965BX as it is such a good player.

I thought you had, because it's not like you to ignore a response.

Over the last few years, I have followed your rather convoluted journey in persuit of euphonic contentment, and felt it was worth a mention.

IMO. It's a Highend CDP, that has the type of sound that I believe you are striving for. If you have read the link, you will realize that it was ahead of its time and built to last.....and sounds quite different to most CDPs.

Anyway, if you change your mind, let me know; and if you don't, then there's no harm done.

Glad you are getting so much pleasure from your system atm, and quite understand your reservations.

Totally understand Matthew's reticence to change the Rotel CDP. The 9 series were a fabulous player for the money, and somehow didn't demonstrate the typical Rotel 'signature'. I had RCD 975 and it comfortably matched the Arcam CD73 for overall sonic ambience, and wouldn't changed it if the tray mechanism wasn't shot. IMO, to gain a significant upgrade you would need to spend well over a grand for a new machine, or around £700-£800 in the s/hand market. Any figure below that then you may get something different but not necessarily better.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Totally understand Matthew's reticence to change the Rotel CDP. The 9 series were a fabulous player for the money, and somehow didn't demonstrate the typical Rotel 'signature'. I had RCD 975 and it comfortably matched the Arcam CD73 for overall sonic ambience, and wouldn't changed it if the tray mechanism wasn't shot. IMO, to gain a significant upgrade you would need to spend well over a grand for a new machine, or around £700-£800 in the s/hand market. Any figure below that then you may get something different but not necessarily better.

I totally understand MP's reticence to change, but on the grounds of age, rather than performance.....but going old is the only way to get highend performance for lowend money.

According to this article, the Karik was one of the best transports ever build and the Karik/Numerik cost over £4k in 1992 (I didn't think it was that much, but may have wiped that from my memory).....in fact it didn't. Further down in the comments, it says it cost £2590, which is more in line with my memory. That's still a hell of a lot of money now, let alone in 1992.

http://www.hi-fi-insight.com/linn-karik-cd-player.html and http://www.hi-fi-insight.com/linn-numerik-dac.html

(I think it is probably being priced in $, but with the wrong currency sign)

CnoEvil said:
plastic penguin said:

I totally understand MP's reticence to change, but on the grounds of age, rather than performance.....but going old is the only way to get highend performance for lowend money.

According to this article, the Karik was one of the best transports ever build and the Karik/Numerik cost over £4k in 1992 (I didn't think it was that much, but may have wiped that from my memory).....in fact it didn't. Further down in the comments, it says it cost £2590, which is more in line with my memory. That's still a hell of a lot of money now, let alone in 1992.

http://www.hi-fi-insight.com/linn-karik-cd-player.html and http://www.hi-fi-insight.com/linn-numerik-dac.html

(I think it is probably being priced in $, but with the wrong currency sign)

The 9 series were wonderfully robust players, their achilles heel was a slightly iffy mechanism (this confession I got from Rotel themselves when I looked at getting mine repaired).

On looks alone the Audio Analougue, like most things Italian, is a gorgeous machine, but thinking about it now, and knowing Matthew's exacting standards, could cause more issues than it solves.

(on this occasion it may be worth taking Ricks usual advice ref 75 strand standard interconnects)

Hi Thompsonuxb

I recommend using basic 79 strand speaker cables.

Anyway, basic interconnects are sublime
regular_smile.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Tibor

Oct 23, 2007
Visit site
Denon DCD 720 AE or Marantz CD 6005 or Rega Apollo R or NAD 545 BEE.

I think they 4 are the most musical and fluid sounding affordable cd players nowdays, used Arcam Alpha 5 and CD 72 also are a good choice.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts