Roksan Caspian power amplifier with Pioneer LX53

Sabretooth

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I was wondering will adding a power amplifier be a significant improvement to the stereo sound of my AV-setup? Or will a integrated amplifier be of more use? I will be mainly streaming music from my NAS via my Ipad.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Can you discribe the stereo sound you get from your LX53?

What is it lacking, and what do, you hope to gain?

Modern recievers especially in that price bracket wll more than match any dedicated stereo amp.

Sabretooth

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
IMO the stereo sound is not coming from the places that is should be, it sounds disoriented i am lacking a clean, overall stereo image. I hope to gain a more powerfull, complete sound am i making sense? I wondered if the Caspian ( or any other power amp) will do the trick It would a cheaper solution than to buy a new set of front speakers, which are not te very best avaible, I know

Sabretooth

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
when I listen to music, in stereo, I put in stereo mode --> F.S. Surround focus

I find this the best option to listen to

but still something is lacking

michael hoy

Sabretooth said:
when I listen to music, in stereo, I put in stereo mode --> F.S. Surround focus

I find this the best option to listen to

but still something is lacking

Why not use the stereo setting, the FS - Surround mode is not the best option.

I have smaller speakers than you have and using stereo direct works perfectly well, if I did not need the sub I would use pure direct.

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Fwiw iv'e just added an integrated stereo amp and this difference in stereo is very noticable,bass is alot more controled and the imaging is very impressive...then there is the increased power.... :O

Sabretooth

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
thanks for the replies guys

@Michael - I will try some different settings, but I think I have had them all

@ GSB - though you have a top of the line AV Amp you noticed a reasonable difference when you added the MF amp ?

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I noticed and enjoy a massive difference in 2channel playback....no difference when used for avr duties tho:)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I believe an integrated amp (preferably with HT By-pass) is better for improved 2 channel, as it is likely to have a higher quality pre-amp than the AVR......and the pre makes quite a difference imo.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Sabretooth said:
Been looking at integrated amps too. I believe the more "high end" amps have a bypass. Any suggestions CNO ?

I would recommend you listen to the MF M3i (assuming a budget of around £1k).

GSB has been through the same process, and gave his view here: http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/my-new-mf-m3i

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Sabretooth said:
I read his view on the MF

makes me want to have one :)

but I am also very curious about Naim, Cyrus and Roksan

So you should be.......we can only make recommendations, whereas you will have to make the decision (and then live with it).

Sabretooth

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Hi Michael

i have changed the stereo setting to pure direct

a significant improvement, thanks.

but I will still be upgrading with an integrated amp, someday ;)

michael hoy

Sabretooth said:
Hi Michael

i have changed the stereo setting to pure direct

a significant improvement, thanks.

but I will still be upgrading with an integrated amp, someday ;)

You are probably right to think of a dedicated stereo amp, but just thought by getting the best out of the avr would help you decide.

Good luck on your choice in the future.

Ben K.

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
Another happy customer here since adding my A38 to the system :dance:

Massive improvement in stereo playback. Cinema remains the same.

Ben K.

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
Also regarding the original post, I first added a rotel power amp to my av receiver to try and improve stereo playback. It did improve things but not by much and certainly not worth the expense. If you do decide to add something add an integrated with av bypass or similar and then just use hifi when listening to music.

Sabretooth

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I have read the manual of the A38 online.

What I read was that if you use it in HT mode the amp then acts as a power amp (correct me if I am wrong)

If this is true what would be the advantage of using an integrated amp?

or would the pre-part still be used

Ben K.

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
Yes it does act as a power amp when in ht mode hence that there is no improvement when using cinema. When you want to listen to stereo you will not have it in bypass mode. Your source will be directly connected to the integrated and so it will now be a stand alone system as your av receiver can remain turned off.

Gsb I believe that a pre handles volume and inputs. I guess that the pre in your MF amp out performs the many pres in your av amp and that is why you prefer the sound. I'm no expert I'm afraid I only know that I prefer the sound of a dedicated stereo amp to my av amp (even my old a75 IMO sounds better than my rxv2065 for stereo).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts