Roksan Caspian M2 or Naim Niat XS for Kef Q300

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Dear all...

I've got only few days to deicide between those two amps and get one of these second hand at a very good price, no audition possible.. my question to you: which will sound better with Kef Q300?

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for your reply BigH - do you think I would get better performance from my Marantz with LS 50 or R300? I have speakers quite close to rear wall and don't have any other option in my living room.. I'm also really tempted by Naim and Roksan amps and price offered.. around £900... was thinking to upgrade speakers later.. so that could be another question, which speakers goes well with Roksan or Naim if I buy any of these? and just keep Q300 for the time being..

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Not sure to be honest, just think those amps would be a bit wasted on the Q300s.

What HiFi seems to favour the RK over the Naim, not by much. Can you not demo them anywhere?

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
... for future speakers upgrade I've got in mind ATC SCM 11 as they can be placed really close to rear wall..

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Well the Kef LS50s and R300 are not really suitable for being next to walls.

Its hard to advise as both no doubt fine amps it more about your taste. Maybe your question should be which will be best with the ATC SCM11s?

I would really try to hear the Naim and RK before you buy. If you miss the sale I'm sure there will be others along.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for your answers BigH:) as I still have few days hopefully someone who experienced any of these set ups will reply:)

SteveR750

My gut feeling is the M2, and not because I've got one. I suspect the KEF's are not quite as rounded out as my ProAcs, and when I auditioned both amps, the Roksan sounded meatier. The big caveat though is that I have never heard any of the KEF speakers, and can only go on what I have read. Not much advice I know, but perhaps every little helps...

vaj

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Personally, i prefer roksan over naim for kef speaker. However, if you intend to upgrade to ATC scm11 in the future and normally play songs below half or 1/3 of the sound volume, try get atc sia2. During my audition at a shop last time, roksan m2 seem to have some problem to drive atc scm11 in low level volume. :)

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

Have heard both amps and I went for the Caspian as it suited my tastes, both are excellent amps and will make your KEF's sing.

From having a brief look at other threads and suggest you do so too I think either may not be a perfect partner for the ATC's you mention but will leave that for someone better informed to advise, if you can find Rick at Music craft ( I think) he was well versed on matters regarding ATC.

If you take a flier on either amp you may have to review your speaker choices based around the amp and your room.

Good luck, not much help really, sorry !

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
thanks all for your responses...

got very nice conversation yesterday with overseas mate.. he says the same.. if I'm planning to get ATC 11 should look for Atc SIA .. I've got a chance to get second hand MKI.. now the question is what are differences between MKI and MKII?

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
... one more thing. In our living room [ 6 x 3,5m] we can only palce [ after lots of trying] speakers quite close to the walls and in the corners. I have attached some pictures to give you better idea...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/84282365@N08/8659138413/in/photostream/lightbox/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/84282365@N08/8659138085/in/photostream/lightbox/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/84282365@N08/8660239790/in/photostream/lightbox/

what I'm experiencing now is lack of bass in left speaker [ we've got Kef Q300's] and too much bass in right speaker... after using foam in the right speaker it doesn't help much.. anyway, two different speakers !

My question is: will I benefit changing speakers [ and amp] to ATC SCM 11? I've read that ATC's are designed to work well close to rear wall, but how about corners? We want both speakers sound same bass wise... or should I look for any others speakers that can be placed in the corners? please remember that corners are not simply oposite corners of the room...

Many thanks :)

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I did look into the ATC scm11 after your comment as I thought they would be suitable for me but they are best at higher volumes so no good for me but you should be aware ot that. There is a new pair on fleabay for £750 if you are interested.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Seen that :)

I've also read that with right ampflication and lots of pure power [ ie ATC SIA 150] they are pure magic and no longer poor at low volumes... I'm looking for good performance at low volumes.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
lpv said:
Seen that :)

I've also read that with right ampflication and lots of pure power [ ie ATC SIA 150] they are pure magic and no longer poor at low volumes... I'm looking for good performance at low volumes.

I did read on some other forum about the ATC best at higher volumes and the Harbeth P3ESRswhich are a much different speaker are much better at low volumes, I believe they are fairly suitable for close to walls as well.

poldo

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
The Kef Q300 would really shine on the Naim XS, the Naim is an excellent amp. In the future you can swap the speakers, look at some Audiovector si3 Super floorstanders if budget allows. They work in smaller rooms and have excellent bass-response.

TRENDING THREADS