roksan caspian m2 amp with k2 power amp

5wilm

Dec 23, 2014
Visit site
Hi All,
Please bear with me i'm new to the world of hifi... just got an Caspian m2 amp and was wandering is ok to use with my k2 power amp or would i be better off using it on its own for better SQ. I'm driving LS50's and using Mdac with mac book. Just be good to know other peoples views. Thanks

Technically you can use any power amp with any integrated. Question is is it necessary? The M2 is a very capable amp 'as is'. If you have a power amp knocking around then try and see if it makes a worthwhile difference. Otherwise, just stick with the one box amp.

theEntreriCode

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
Dear All,

Given the current market prices, it is possible to get the following all within a reasonable price difference of each other:

1) Package deal on a Roksan K2 (Integrated Amp, Power Amp or Integrated Amp and CD player)

2) K3 Integrated AMP

3) Caspian M2 integrated Amp

I need to drive my LS50 speakers and I was wondering which would make the most sense. I am in a by and large enclosed space approximately 15x8x10 feet and because of the country I live in, the options to audition are virtually non-existent. I will have to source the gear from the UK/Singapore.

Thanks

tEC

Quite agree with PP. The M2 on its own is quite sufficient to drive yours and many other speakers, the addition of the power amp might even be a retrograde step. Personally I'd sell it, stick with M2 alone, and buy more music.

theEntreriCode said:
Dear All,

Given the current market prices, it is possible to get the following all within a reasonable price difference of each other:

1) Package deal on a Roksan K2 (Integrated Amp, Power Amp or Integrated Amp and CD player)

2) K3 Integrated AMP

3) Caspian M2 integrated Amp

I need to drive my LS50 speakers and I was wondering which would make the most sense. I am in a by and large enclosed space approximately 15x8x10 feet and because of the country I live in, the options to audition are virtually non-existent. I will have to source the gear from the UK/Singapore.

Thanks

tEC

As this really does not have anything to do with the original thread maybe you should have started your own.

Anyway cannot really answer unless we know what else you currently have apart from the speakers. Do you already own a CD player?? What other source do you have / use.

theEntreriCode

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
Can I request that my initial reply be deleted so that I may start my own post? Or should I just abandon this thread and start my own?

These are new speakers that I am not currently using. I am in the process of putting together a system. I was planning on using my Mac which has Amara as a source if I do not buy a cd player for the current set up. Eventually I'd like to add a multi channel I/O DAC capable of controlling digital cross over, bi-amping, mono amp and a small precision sub. However this is so far in the future that it may or may not materialize. Also I have no idea what that investment would entail so I'm not even sure I can afford it.

I like excellent SQ and am willing to sacrifice large decibel levels for audiophile levels of SQ. At the moment I have a maximum stretchable budget of 1500 GBP hence the current set of options. What I am thinking of at the moment given the reviews I have read would be to go with either a K3 or M2 integrated right now and then figuring out whether or not or how I want to augment it. Maybe when K3 starts falling in price I'd be able to pick up a set to add to whatever I decide now.

theEntreriCode

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
The Problem is good CD players aren't exactly cheap. Given that I rip all of my CDs and store them lossless (a good solution all things considered), I am inclined towards thinking that a CD player is the least value adding component I can purchase. If that changes, I can always pick up a decent Marantz at an affordable price point. I would buy a quality turntable before a CD player. The fact that the K2 amp and cd player combo can be had at great value for money had me re-thinking my strategy. However from the reviews, I am led to believe that the K3 and M2 would be better sounding AMPs. If you feel that the K2 set is out of contention, I think I will repost as a seperate thread between the K3 and the M2.

rainsoothe

Hey. What you need instead of a cd player is a DAC and/or streamer. The K3 seems like a great amp, and you could partner it with either Arcam iRdac or Nad D1050. Or maybe the Onkyo C-N7050.
Another amp that's said to be an awesome partner for the KEFs is Croft Phono Integrated. People say you can't rival it for it's price, which is worth it for the phonostage alone. This also has the advantage of being able to buy it online from that site that has the name of a river in it :) , and you can return it after 7 days if you don't like it. This is 1000 pounds, which leaves you enough money for a good DAC.
Also, many partner Naim Unitiqute 2 with the LS50. It's a nice clean sollution, to which you can later add a phonostage for a tt, and a power amp if you find it lacking (but given your roomsize, it's enough imo).
Personally, I would do the Croft thing. Also, budget for speaker stands if you can and have room for them. Atacama Moseco 6 seem to be a good option.

TRENDING THREADS