Roksan Caspian M series-1 amp

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hmm was searching the forum regarding this amp. Why isn't there a load of topics regarding this amp since it's bestbuy on this site ?

I have been through: Naim nait 5i, Rega mira, Arcam FM28, NAD 372, SAT Bladius  and find this the best I have heard.

Anyhow I have it for audition and the serial number is indeed above 0115000 it's 4 months old so my price will be 60% off. 

I really like the sound of the amp but I do seem to miss some power so my question is: Is the caspian made with one of these volume controls that can be turned all the way up ? Or the standard ones who starts distorting at about 2 o'clock ?

It's night here so can't test and I would hate to kill my speakers

Thanx in advance

NightRhyme 

A

Anonymous

Generally most amps will go beyond 2 o'clock on the vol pot yet it will rarely relate to an increase in gain from the volume. You may also risk the possibility of clipping the signal sent to your speakers. As you know clipped sound can be the greatest threat to speakers and results in the posibility of blowing them (Ive done this before).

I believe the Caspian is rated at 70 wpc, this may seem underpowered perhaps for your needs. Can you tell me what speakers you are powering?. If they are rated very much higher than the amps power rating then that is where your lack of power lies.

You say the amp is the best you have heard from the range you describe? So I am a little confused as to why you wish to sell such a competant and refined amp. Perhaps the speakers/cables are the weak link?

A

Anonymous

Thanx so much for reply.

The new Caspian is actually rated at 85w:ÿhttp://whathifi.com/Review/Roksan-Caspian-M-series-1-amp/

http://whathifi.com/Review/Roksan-Caspian-M-series-1-amp/I'm not selling...I'm possibly buying.

My speakers is Audiovector(ÿhttp://www.audiovector.com/S3.html)ÿwhich is really easy to drive. Driven them for years with a Aura va-100 (80w)

To the question about the volume control: The reason I ask is because I have come across a few amps for instance Densen Beat-100 (http://www.densen.dk/index.php?page=products&page2=classics)ÿwhere the volume *** is designed to be turned all the way (from 6 o'clock to 6' o'clock) without distorting.

I guess i'll call roksan in the morning...ÿ

A

Anonymous

The same characteristic is also true on the Roksan Kandy K2 so i would think you will be fine for as long as the speakers are not beginning to sound brittle.

A

Anonymous

Im no expert on volume pots. Each manufacturer varies in design, I know im scared to turn my yamahas vol pot beyond 11 as it goes so loud! *grins*

Nice looking speakers btw, and they are easy to drive, mind you i cant find many reviews, shame :(

Remember the amount of volume an amp can create does not always equate to how many watts it is rated at. My advice is to audition as many amps as you can with your speakers if possible, take them home for a week and try them out in your room, then you will find your perfect match

Hope this will help mate

A

Anonymous

As a very very happy owner of a Caspian I would be very surprised if
you had any distortions at such volumes, but having never played mine at
such a high level I couldn't say for sure. I haven't had to listen to
mine above 11 as this is very loud. I took mine in to my local Hi-Fi shop on Saturday to demo the Spendor A5 & A6's. The sales guy hadn't heard the Caspain before as they sell other brands so he wanted to have a listen in as well. Prior to this he preferred the A5 to the A6 which he had mostly been listening to through a Sugden amp but was blown away by the difference with the Caspian. This combo is the best I've personally ever heard so I bought the A6's. Also, if you can get someone to sell you a 4 month old one for 60% off then what are you waiting for ?

A

Anonymous

Spacehopper:..... Also, if you can get someone to sell you a 4 month old one for 60% off then what are you waiting for ?

Nothing
emotion-10.gif
just bought it after some more listening and a good long talk with a Roksan reseller about the volume control.

It is indeed designed like I presumed. The volume *** is designed to go from 6 o'clock to 6 o'clock without distorting.

The sound of this amp is indeed something else... Highly recommendable.

However I still feel I would have liked some more power. It's not unusable that I turn the volume up to about 2 + o'clock..

A

Anonymous

Sorry didn't mean to sound cheeky.
emotion-5.gif

I bought mine as the first step on the road to a complete upgrade of my system and my new speakers are the last piece of the jigsaw. I was concerned that it wouldn't be able run some speakers but after demoing quite a number of different speakers it just wasn't a problem. The only ones I thought sounded pretty flat were the Neat Motive 1's (I suspect the speakers weren't run in sufficiently). It probaby comes down to how easy the speakers are to run - during my speaker quest I had some excellent advice, one example in the Forum was from AEJim from Acoustic Energy who thought that the Caspian would be able to run the AE1 Mark III SEdue to a simplifed crossover design which was easier on the amp. I hope you enjoy the Caspian as much as I am.

A

Anonymous

Spacehopper:
....... I hope you enjoy the Caspian as much as I am.

ÿ

Probably more ÿ
emotion-4.gif

Will soon be upgrading loudspeakers as well. Don't know any of the ones you mention. I guessÿgeographic position has a lot to say as to which brands one is exposed to.

Roksan is almost unknown in Denmark. You would probably feel the same regarding my speakers:ÿhttp://www.audiovector.com/S3.html

ÿ

My next speakers will probably be:ÿhttp://www.audiovector.com/TOWERS.htmlÿ

A

Anonymous

They look the business ! It's always the problem as I found out when looking at speakers - the sheer amount of very high quality manufacturers is amazing and can get a bit overwhelming. In the end I wen't for the new Spendor A6 and got an amazing deal on them which was a very big bonus for me !!

http://www.spendoraudio.com/HTML/A6_main.html

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I don't quite understand your dilemma. You miss some power compared to what? On the other hand you like the product? 80odd watts is pretty powerful and I assume that's the figure into 8ohm so real world output into 4ohm which most speakers nowadays are is well in excess of that. I fail to see the problem, especially as entry Naim's, Rega's and most Arcam's hardly sound like monster amps.

Whether the Roksan is a good match with your Sabre's only you can decide. As you are planning to change the speakers anyhow, does it matter? You need to match amplifier speaker so until you try it with what ever you're going to buy you will be non-the-wiser.

A

Anonymous

Spacehopper:They look the business ! It's always the problem as I found out when looking at speakers - ;the sheer amount of very high quality manufacturers is amazing and can get a bit overwhelming. In the end I wen't for the new Spendor A6 and got an amazing deal on them which was a very big bonus for me !!
ÿ

http://www.spendoraudio.com/HTML/A6_main.htmlÿ

Yeah I hear you mate. They look theÿbusiness. But then again looks can beÿdeceiving. Always use the ears and close the eyes when choosing speakers. BTW those Spendorsÿÿsurely also look theÿbusiness. Wish I could have a listenÿ
emotion-4.gif

A pic of my new joyÿ
emotion-4.gif
ÿ

Roksan.jpg
ÿ

ÿ

drummerman:

I don't quite understand your dilemma. You miss some power compared to what? On the other hand you like the product? 80odd watts is pretty powerful and I assume that's the figure into 8ohm so real world output into 4ohm which most speakers nowadays are is well in excess of that. I fail to see the problem, especially as entry Naim's, Rega's and most Arcam's hardly sound like monster amps.

Whether the Roksan is a good match with your Sabre's only you can decide. As you are planning to change the speakers anyhow, does it matter? You need to match amplifier speaker so until you try it with what ever you're going to buy you will be non-the-wiser.

Hmm I'm entitled to my own subjective opinion right ? I actually pressured the guy I bought it from (after money hadÿexchangedÿhands) as to why he was selling the amp after just 4 months. He replied: Lack of ability to play loud. He wanted to try something more powerful. Iÿsincerely agree. All amps have weak spots. Roksan Caspians weak spot is it's lack of abillity to play loud. I wouldn't say it isn't powerful as it has firm control of my speakers. However I really love it's sound and it's a perfect match for my speakers which is Audiovector BTW. If it wasn't I wouldn't have bought it. And it will be a perfect match for the new ones I link to. They are just a big brother to mine and equally easy to drive. I have driven them with a small NAD 3020 (20w) which actually plays much much louder than the Caspian. But then again, that's what NAD does. Forÿcomparison the NAD 3020 with volume *** at 9 o'clock plays as loud as the Caspian with volume *** at 2 o'clock.

Turn the NAD to 12 o'clock and you wouldn't even be able to hear the Caspian at full volume ower the NAD.

At 12 o'clock NAD still has some power left. It begins distorting at 2 o'clock.

You ask compared to what? My answer: Compared to all the amps I previously auditioned, mentioned in the first post, even the small Rega and especially compared to my old belowed little amp: Aura Evolution, 80w.

aura-evolution.jpg
ÿ

ÿ

A

Anonymous

So I finally got my new speakers
emotion-4.gif

Audiovector S3 Avandtgarde :

av-1.jpg

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts