Robin Hood

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

gel:
Andrew Everard:No, Cate Blanchett as Marion

Thank's i have done some internet searches, she does have a Marion type look to her can't seem to picture her to many movies.

While doing my searches i learnt Russell Crowe spent all of his time in the pub in between takes.
emotion-1.gif

Cate Blanchett has been truly appalling in a number of movies, but her nadir was the hobbit trilogy.

if...

Nov 21, 2007
Visit site
Don't forget the other 1991 Robin Hood - Patrick Bergin (Irish) and Uma Thurman as Marion... Still at least she went from this to Fatman and Blobbin...

A

Anonymous

gel:maxflinn:

didnt know you could get that old one on bluray .. i would like to start buying a few bluray oldies , top of the list is "great expectations" ..

have you seen that movie gel ?? very good..

What great expectations? No, was it good?

Did someone say Kate Blanchett as lady marien? is that right, i am having a stupid moment can't picture her?

gel , great expectations is one of my favourite films , its an old black and white movie , made in 1946 , starring a young john mills , the novel its based on was written by charles dickens , if you havnt seen it , you will probably love it , its actually out on bluray , although i dont know what the picture quality is like ...

D

Deleted member 2457

Actually i have just had a closer and i see what you mean, blonde hair but she can dye that for the movie, blue eyes i always think of her with brown eyes, skinny - okay there, white - yep, bit old know she is 40? I will have to see if they change her look for the movie.

D

Deleted member 2457

maxflinn:gel:maxflinn:

didnt know you could get that old one on bluray .. i would like to start buying a few bluray oldies , top of the list is "great expectations" ..

have you seen that movie gel ?? very good..

What great expectations? No, was it good?

Did someone say Kate Blanchett as lady marien? is that right, i am having a stupid moment can't picture her?

gel , great expectations is one of my favourite films , its an old black and white movie , made in 1946 , starring a young john mills , the novel its based on was written by charles dickens , if you havnt seen it , you will probably love it , its actually out on bluray , although i dont know what the picture quality is like ...

Nope never heard of it, I will keep an eye out for it.
emotion-21.gif

scene

Re: Great Expectations (1946)

Absolutely fantastic film - won two Oscars (Cinematography & Art Direction), nominated for three more (Best Director, Best Picture & Best Writing/Screenplay). One of David Lean's great film. Hope they have restored the picture sympathetically for Blu-Ray given the quality of the original... Though I seem to remember this was a 4:3 ratio 35mm film, which might impact the quality of the restoration.

A

Anonymous

they dont make em like that anymore thats for sure , i absolutely love the movie , ill have to get the bluray ..

scene

maxflinn:they dont make em like that anymore thats for sure , i absolutely love the movie , ill have to get the bluray ..

I've just had a quick look at a couple of reviews of the Blu Ray of Great Expectations and they highly recommend it, but do comment that the picture restoration leaves some room for improvement - due to curious black levels and a tendency for shadows to swallow objects.

Also, there are no extras on the Blu Ray disc, whereas there are on the DVD.

A

Anonymous

scene:
maxflinn:they dont make em like that anymore thats for sure , i absolutely love the movie , ill have to get the bluray ..

I've just had a quick look at a couple of reviews of the Blu Ray of Great Expectations and they highly recommend it, but do comment that the picture restoration leaves some room for improvement - due to curious black levels and a tendency for shadows to swallow objects.

Also, there are no extras on the Blu Ray disc, whereas there are on the DVD.

hmmm , i would like any extras that might come with that movie , shame..

im trying to think where i could get the bluray now , a scoot down to hmv in cork tmw might be on the cards , ill ring em now , hope theyve got it..

edit .. gotta order it in ..

A

Anonymous

You could always buy the book and let the story come to life in your imagination. None of the film versions can match that.

A

Anonymous

Having read about the multiple script rewrites of Robin Hood (apparently they were still working on it two days before shooting), I have a feeling that this one could be a complete duffer. Still, I could be wrong, but I don't have any high hopes.

Nyorker

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
Tarquinh:gel:
Andrew Everard:No, Cate Blanchett as Marion

Thank's i have done some internet searches, she does have a Marion type look to her can't seem to picture her to many movies.

While doing my searches i learnt Russell Crowe spent all of his time in the pub in between takes.
emotion-1.gif

Cate Blanchett has been truly appalling in a number of movies, but her nadir was the hobbit trilogy.

Strongly disagree on that point...

And let's not forget Mel Brooks' Robin Hood: Men in Tights

A

Anonymous

Cousin Dirk:
Having read about the multiple script rewrites of Robin Hood (apparently they were still working on it two days before shooting), I have a feeling that this one could be a complete duffer. Still, I could be wrong, but I don't have any high hopes.No, you're right. If you believe some of the early reviews it's a dud.

D

Deleted member 2457

Some people have been reporting that if you buy the "Daily Mirror" on this saturday you can get two free cinema tickets to see Robin Hood at particapting Odeon cinemas. The tickets are said to be worth £17.50.
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:

gel:she does have a Marion type look to her

Funny - I always thought she didn't look the Marion kind...

emotion-2.gif

EarsEarsEars

Feb 18, 2009
Visit site
gel:Actually i have just had a closer and i see what you mean, blonde hair but she can dye that for the movie, blue eyes i always think of her with brown eyes, skinny - okay there, white - yep, bit old know she is 40? I will have to see if they change her look for the movie.

*whooosh*....

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
We're not that nice about actresses sometimes, eh.

From what i gather (i think ill see it this weekend) his accent is worse than Connery's Spanish, in that he doesnt even hold one accent consistently.

Where does one have to live to have to pay £17.00 for a cinema ticket?

A

Anonymous

On the subject of dodgy accents did anyone notice in Blood Diamond Leonardo Di Caprio adding 'eh' to the beginning and end of every sentence when trying to pull of a South African accent. Do South Africans spek like that?, No. Quite possibly the most annoying attempt at an accent ever, I wanted to strangle him about 20 minutes into the film eh.........eh.................eh.....
emotion-12.gif

D

Deleted member 2457

Anyone seen it yet? What did you think?

Also is there a music soundtrack to this one? Like the older one?

Cheer's.

D

Deleted member 2457

Got this the other day from tesco website in a deal if you buy a chart blu ray you get this one for £13 and then add the discount voucher in, works in around £11 ish.

I am roughly half way through and lovin it
emotion-21.gif
best film i have seen since watchmen, thoroughly recommend.

Garth Man

Dec 1, 2008
Visit site
gel:
Got this the other day from tesco website in a deal if you buy a chart blu ray you get this one for £13 and then add the discount voucher in, works in around £11 ish.

emotion-21.gif

Really???

I couldn't stand it, ropey acting, boring pace, just plain dull in my eyes. Russal Crowe is so overrated, I liked him in LA Confidential, A Beautiful Mind, 3.10 to Yuma and the Insider!!! and thats about it. And yes I thought Gladiator was just OK, Oliver Reed is the best one in that par J Phoenix

emotion-3.gif

D

Deleted member 2457

Garth Man:gel:

emotion-21.gif

Really???

I couldn't stand it, ropey acting, boring pace, just plain dull in my eyes. Russal Crowe is so overrated, I liked him in LA Confidential, A Beautiful Mind, 3.10 to Yuma and the Insider!!! and thats about it. And yes I thought Gladiator was just OK, Oliver Reed is the best one in that par J Phoenix

emotion-3.gif

Ah you see, Gladiator is also one of my favourites too
emotion-21.gif

Robin Hood prince of thieves, was a long term favourite film of mine - remember going to the cinema to watch it, also watched it many times on video.

I know some people gave this mixed reviews but i am really into this, just got to the part where robin has met maid marian.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts