Risk waiting to lose the best?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

you mentioned the 4280xd comes with a stand, does the stand swivel or is it stationary? cheers

A

Anonymous

Congratulations Technics! The Chord Company HDMI cable that the Prof suggested is the current Award Winner and HDMI is the best way to connect all your equipment for the "best" quality. Now, go and enjoy that new TV!

A

Anonymous

Clare Newsome:
seakingadvice:Clare Newsome:In the meantime, we do have a 42in TV shootout in our next issue, out 21st August... and look out for individual reviews online ahead of that.

Hi Clare,

Which TVs will be competing in the supertest?

It's not a Supertest - just a three-way test of three promising new 42in sets:

Philips 42PFL7603D , the super-skinny LG Scarlet LG6100 and the Toshiba 42XV505D

I doubt that any of those models will be able to beat the Sony W4000 or the Pioneer 428XD. Will there be a comparison against these 2 TVs. The recent group test did establish the Denon 1909 as the new king of the hill so maybe this group test can try to do the same for this category?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Well we won't be comparing against the Pioneer, as it's discontinued - as this thread clearly points out! - but we will be wheeling the Sony out for comparison. Though it's unlikely to directly feature against this trio of TVs that are all at a cheaper price-point...

We will, of course, be testing all the 40- and 42in options we can get our hands on before naming the very best sets in our Awards. We're likely, as last year, to split the categories into budget and premium models, so we can rightly showcase the best sets for all budgets - we recognise that not everyone can stretch to the like of the Pioneer Kuros, or even the Panasonic 800 series (which we are doing our best to get in ASAP)

Technics

Jul 2, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the recommendation, the QED looks fine for the latter connection so thats good news, and hificables have certainly saved me a lot of time searching.

So long as im future proofed for the foreseeable future as I can see me going for the much anticipated Onkyo offering, hopefully due out in september...the presumably entitled TX-SR876....to bolster my setup along with a suitable speaker package to compliment in due course.

Just to let you all know as well that i spoke to sky yesterday to order my HD box. I mentioned to them about the ** bargain offer ** that jasonsony kindly posted a while back. They agreed to do the HD box for £75 and the installation for £30 which i have to say i was very happy with, so thanks for the info Jason. They did say that the offer was only valid for that day however - seems somewhat reminiscent of the dfs sales......

A

Anonymous

Try ASK electronics on tottenham court road - £1250 for the 4280; 1400 for the 428. Also try sevenoaks hifi. They had quite a few 428's in stock last week. Also, they have one for sale on ebay at the moment for 1345 + delivery.ÿ

If you miss those, the 508xd is now only £1500 - it's the better bargain. Unfortunately too big for the wall I wanted to put the tv on so went for the 4280xd.

ÿGood luck. Only bought mine last week and don't regret it for a second!ÿ

A

Anonymous

Clare Newsome:
Well we won't be comparing against the Pioneer, as it's discontinued - as this thread clearly points out! - but we will be wheeling the Sony out for comparison. Though it's unlikely to directly feature against this trio of TVs that are all at a cheaper price-point...

We will, of course, be testing all the 40- and 42in options we can get our hands on before naming the very best sets in our Awards. We're likely, as last year, to split the categories into budget and premium models, so we can rightly showcase the best sets for all budgets - we recognise that not everyone can stretch to the like of the Pioneer Kuros, or even the Panasonic 800 series (which we are doing our best to get in ASAP)

Great! I hope that the new Pioneer LCDs would have been tested by then so that they can take part in the Awards contest. It's pretty clear that the new 9G Plasmas will continue to dominate the 50 inch Premium category so it will be interesting to see what the Sharp sourced LCD screens will be able to do.

BTW, any AV Receiver supertest coming up? I would love to see the higher end models like the Yamaha 3800/1800, Denon 3808/2809, Onkyo 875/876 and the new Pioneer and Sony models in a head to head test! You guys should be very busy testing over the next couple of months leading up to the awards. :)

Technics

Jul 2, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the info Savio but already purchased - picked up the 4280 and set it up last night, and I'm looking forward to properly getting to grips with it tonight Seaking!

I decided to go for 2x1.5m lengths of the chord silver anniversary 1.3 Prof,. Hificables delivered them today. I also managed to get my hands on a copy of the THX optimiser 2 dvd - which wowed the wife and I beyond belief last night! The sound and build quality of that unit are absolutely amazing, it does blacks fairly well too.

This dvd which I have, would anybody know if it is the same set up calibration that you would find on a star wars dvd??? I have to say that even after following the walkthrough guide to fine tuning contrast and brightness etc we still didn't think the colours seemed right...

A

Anonymous

You'll find some dedicated Pioneer 8G Owners forums with some starter settings. Google to find them.

TRENDING THREADS