Ripping to Apple Lossless - iTunes or dbpoweramp?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Basically, I've been using dpoweramp to rip my CD collection (Apple lossless format) on to my NAS drive.

I'm about a quarter of the way through the process and my free trial has run out. The question is simple, is it worth paying the extra for the dbpoweramp licence…… or would ripping my CD's into Apple Lossless using iTunes give me the exact same results?

I'm assuming that Apple lossless is a standard convention, therefore it should be the same regardless of which application I use.
If this is not the case, please feel free to educate me!

Also, I'm a bit of an itunes virgin. I've managed to point itunes at the shared folder on my NAS, so that all my music files are displayed in the itunes library. However, is there a way to refresh the itunes library once I've added additional files to the NAS directly (in this case using dbpoweramp).
This is probably another stupid, newbie question, but I just don't see an easy way to do it.

Cheers

A

Anonymous

There have been plenty of tests undertaken to prove that iTunes 8 rips perfectly, such as this one from a mastering engineer and also this one.

Just set the location of your iTunes library as the NAS drive within iTunes/Preferences/General, and then select Apple Lossless and Error Correction, then get ripping.

Trefor Patten

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
Also, I'm a bit of an itunes virgin. I've managed to point itunes at the shared folder on my NAS, so that all my music files are displayed in the itunes library. However, is there a way to refresh the itunes library once I've added additional files to the NAS directly (in this case using dbpoweramp).This is probably another stupid, newbie question, but I just don't see an easy way to do it.

ÿ

Don't know about dbpoweramp, but once you have downloaded iTunes (why not? it's free). Then go to File, scroll down to Library and click on Consolidate Library and that will import all your files. You can instruct it not to import files you already have by ticking the box to ignore duplicates.

A

Anonymous

Cheers both. I think I'll give iTunes a go when I get home tonight.

Definitely seems to make more sense to use this than pay extra for another app that does the same job!

Thanks again.

A

Anonymous

Trefor Patten:
Also, I'm a bit of an itunes virgin. I've managed to point itunes at the shared folder on my NAS, so that all my music files are displayed in the itunes library. However, is there a way to refresh the itunes library once I've added additional files to the NAS directly (in this case using dbpoweramp).This is probably another stupid, newbie question, but I just don't see an easy way to do it.

When you import music into iTunes it doesn't just copy the music to your iTunes music folder it writes the relevant information to its database. You'll need to import the music through iTunes if it is to know where to look for it.

A

Anonymous

Octopo:Trefor Patten:

When you import music into iTunes it doesn't just copy the music to your iTunes music folder it writes the relevant information to its database. You'll need to import the music through iTunes if it is to know where to look for it.

Is this what the consolidate library function does?

I've basically ripped 100+ cds using dbpoweramp onto my NAS. I've then pointed itunes at that folder and it picked up each of the albums (including all album art and meta data) so that it is now visible in my itunes library.

The trouble I had was when I came to add more albums on to the NAS using dbpoweramp. I was expecting iTunes to automatically identify them as new and update the library accordingly (probably asking a bit too much there).
I'm hoping that running the consolidation process will identify these additional files.

Long term, I am assuming that by using itunes to rip the CDs directly, the library would be updated automatically. Is that the case?

cram

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
Ketch:Long term, I am assuming that by using itunes to rip the CDs directly, the library would be updated automatically. Is that the case?

That is correct. Itunes does not include any kind of folder monitoring facility. You either need to RIP using Itunes or import into it.

A

Anonymous

Consolidating just moves files scattered around your HDD into your designated iTunes folder but they need to be in the iTunes library in the first place.

You'd be best just importing the dbpoweramp music through iTunes and into your NAS instead of just putting it straight into the NAS.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts