Nemo

Nov 3, 2017
Visit site
Mark Rose-Smith said:
just heard the sad news that the Fall's front Man has died aged 60.

I must admit I have only slightly dabbled in their music but I'll go back and give it some more attention.

I own about fifty Fall CD’s, and am saddened to hear of Mark’s passing, though not surprised, as he certainly lived life to the full.

Heard an anecdote today that he once sacked a sound engineer because he ordered a salad!

The Fall must hold a world record for the number of people who played in the band over the years.

mond

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I have been a fall fan for many years, own many of their records and have seen them live about half a dozen times. Mr E Smith was certainly entertaining to see performing, with a very unique vocal delivery and stage presence but after seeing how unhealthy he had looked for the last few years and knowing something of his excessive lifestyle I must say it didn't come as a complete shock though!

Some of the records are better than others of course, and this will always be subjective, but some do actually sound quite good on the HiFi so too speak, your never gonna here a Fall record at a HiFi show, more Low Fi really , but they made some great music with a unique style and plenty of energy. He will be missed by many I dare say.

One of the great and original rock stars who had all the attitude and swagger but with some intelligent and heart felt lyrics.... he could actually sing alright too when he wanted! A great character. He even read the football results live once for the BBC!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/entertainment-arts-42816933/watch-what-happened-when-bbc-sport-asked-mark-e-smith-read-the-football-scores

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
I bought Live at the Witch Trials when it came out in 79 and it had a massive impact on me at the time, still play it (and many of their others) to this day. Hard to believe that was nearly 40 years ago - Mark E Smith has always been there gradually declining in body but shining bright in spirit. Sad but somehow inevitable. The world was a more interesting place with him in it.

TRENDING THREADS