Ribbon tweeters

Nelis87

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
Forgive me for asking a potentional stupid question, I have never dealt with ribbon tweeters before. I like how ribbon tweeters sound (Quad S-range for example) but is there anything I should know about the ribbon tweeter lifespan in general? I remember reading on a forum or two many years ago dome tweeters last longer. I do get a fragile feeling when I look at ribbon tweeters, but that is just based on a feeling.

insider9

Ribbons have their downsides but if like me you're a fan nothing will sound like them.

I'm using 18 year old speakers with ribbons (have a look at pics in my signature). And they're the original tweeters and measure excellent. How much more lifespan will I get out of them I'm not sure but it's not something I worry about.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
insider9 said:
Ribbons have their downsides but if like me you're a fan nothing will sound like them.

I'm using 18 year old speakers with ribbons (have a look at pics in my signature). And they're the original tweeters and measure excellent. How much more lifespan will I get out of them I'm not sure but it's not something I worry about.

You have folded ribbon devices that are much more robust than planar ribbons and do not really wear with use. Like most modern ribbons they use magnets with a sizeable 'rare earth' content which are both powerful and long lasting.

Short of being overdriven they should last another 18yrs no problem.

davedotco said:
insider9 said:

+1 Treated right they will last as longer than you might think.

You have folded ribbon devices that are much more robust than planar ribbons and do not really wear with use. Like most modern ribbons they use magnets with a sizeable 'rare earth' content which are both powerful and long lasting.

Short of being overdriven they should last another 18yrs no problem.

insider9

I have actually recently tightened the ribbons and will be ordering ribbon replacements (just the aluminium bits) to see if these may give me performance improvement. Very easy to replace.

These tweeters are a few kilograms each and are very sturdy. I'm sure they will last a long time.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
insider9 said:
I have actually recently tightened the ribbons and will be ordering ribbon replacements (just the aluminium bits) to see if these may give me performance improvement. Very easy to replace.

These tweeters are a few kilograms each and are very sturdy. I'm sure they will last a long time.

Presumeably you discovered/worked out who the OEM supplier of these drive units is?

insider9

davedotco said:
insider9 said:

Presumeably you discovered/worked out who the OEM supplier of these drive units is?
The only equivalent is Aurum Cantus G3. How they compare is anyone's guess. I'd have to measure them myself to know. But physical dimensions are the same as far as I can tell.

I might even order a pair for safe keeping while they are still being made. But replacing the actual ribbon is rather simple. Only difficulty is not to have anything metal being suckled into the tweeter once the protective mesh is off.

newlash09 said:
But can't we find replacement ribbon tweeters from companies like seas or vifa, just like normal dome tweeters. Or is getting the exact match more difficult here
I'm not aware of either of these making ribbons.

However there's a few companies from budget to high end making ribbons.

RAAL, Aurum Cantus, Foundtek, Monacor to name a few.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
insider9 said:
davedotco said:
insider9 said:

The only equivalent is Aurum Cantus G3. How they compare is anyone's guess. I'd have to measure them myself to know. But physical dimensions are the same as far as I can tell.

I might even order a pair for safe keeping while they are still being made. But replacing the actual ribbon is rather simple. Only difficulty is not to have anything metal being suckled into the tweeter once the protective mesh is off.

newlash09 said:
But can't we find replacement ribbon tweeters from companies like seas or vifa, just like normal dome tweeters. Or is getting the exact match more difficult here
I'm not aware of either of these making ribbons.

However there's a few companies from budget to high end making ribbons.

RAAL, Aurum Cantus, Foundtek, Monacor to name a few.

Fountek seem to be the 'go to' manufacturers for diy and replacement units. The Red Rose is not a Fountek as far as I know.

In another world, I would love to build a valve friendly single driver horn loaded system with a fountek ribbon just rolled in late as a supertweeter. Something I could drive with a nice 15wpc triode amp, EL34s preferred.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts