Revox B795 dilemma

ManicDaze

Jul 7, 2022
Visit site
Hi all,

Been following What Hi-Fi for a long time....
I have a set up with a Rotel tribute, Rega fono 5 and my old, old Revox B795 with an At120e cartridge.
I have been looking seriously at the Rega P2 TT. Is this a reasonable upgrade as in out with the old and in with the new? I'm thinkng that if it's worth it I can then pass the Revox on to my 10 yo son without too much worries about a calamity while he plays his records.

Any tips / advice welcome.

Cheers, Tim

ManicDaze

Jul 7, 2022
Visit site
Keep the Revox, upgrade the cartridge and buy your son a cheap new deck.
That Revox is rare, and in it's day cost more than a Linn Sondek LP12
Thanks for your reply :) What suggestions for a cartridge upgrade? I believe it can be a nightmare changing the cartridges or is that not the case?

Thanks for your reply :) What suggestions for a cartridge upgrade? I believe it can be a nightmare changing the cartridges or is that not the case?
I am not aware of what type of cartridges are fitted to that deck, will have to have a quick Google.
if that cartridge has been on the turntable for some time it might be a good idea to replace it as it is probably ancient.

Seems it will take a good number of cartridges will fit. Plenty of stuff online as to how to change them.
the AT 540ML would be a good swap....
tricky tonearm I know but if it's all too much that deck should fetch a good price if you decide to sell it.

Reactions: ManicDaze

ManicDaze

Jul 7, 2022
Visit site
Seems it will take a good number of cartridges will fit. Plenty of stuff online as to how to change them.
the AT 540ML would be a good swap....
tricky tonearm I know but if it's all too much that deck should fetch a good price if you decide to sell it.
Got in contact with one of my dad's old friends to see if he can help. Experienced sound chap (built my speakers 20 years ago). Not sure how steady his hands are now ;) I'll keep you posted.

Cheers, Tim

ManicDaze

Jul 7, 2022
Visit site
So here's the update. Fitted and ready to go. Dark here now so leaving reconnecting everything for tomorrow. Recommended run in time 90hrs in the manual so going to be a while for the true sound to come out ;)
Thanks for your help and adice Al.

Attachments

• 20220921_195644.jpg
    20220921_195644.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 14

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts