Review your amp...

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
within the context of your set up - rate it out of 5.

Your source and speakers are your reference points.

Yamaha AX-620 (5.1 reciever used as stereo amp)

Just to discribe my set up. I use the DAC in the AX-620 i.e use the digital out from the CDp into the digital coax input on the amp, speakers bi wired using A & B speakers.

The AX-620 as a full presentation. Its a flexable sound that adapts to the quality of the source, aggressive recordings have the edges rounded off so 'exciting' is not a word I'd use to discribe the sound for this reason. One thing this amp never does is sound harsh or forced.Which belies how loud its playing - provided your speakers can handle it. The partner or your neighbours will complan to let you know though. It does not distort ethier - in that speakers never sound siblant or splashy.

At -50db it is very relaxed and even across the frequency range, turn it up to -45db and it starts to push music beyound the boundries of the speakers that envelopes the sweet spot, crank it up to -42db and the sounds takes on a big 3d soundstage, -40db you feel the music in your cloths.

The top end is very well seperated with each part of a tap clearly heard this flows to the top end of the vocals and midrange making it very clear the midrange again flows nicely into the bass, making voices sound 'human' - it also give instruments a weight and it gives bass excellent definition and texture, you can seperate instruments in the lower regions of the frequency range easily.

going up the scale at no point does any part of the presentation become prominate, it stays even and controlled - some may say the sound is boring, but its when you look up and see several hours have passed and your CDs scattered all over the place you realise how good the amp sounds.

in conclusion,
For
sound per pound this amp was a bargin, an excellent DAC, very natural organic sound. Will impress friends.

Against
Could do with a bit more snap to the midrange (half a star)
looks industrial. not pretty.

4.5 out of 5

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Written on another forum yesterday...

A quick summary (with the Kolts as a reference speaker) and in rough order of what I would live with:

Decware Zen SE84C
- Lovely Lovely midrange, speed and open presentation. Amazing 3D soundstage. Fast tight Bass but lacks depth and SPL/Bass Depth (to be expected) 8/10
Radford STA15 - VB bought this over at the bakeoff, was just stunning, did most things right that the Decware did but with some decent power. Not quite as Open and speed though. Way out of my price range now. 7.5/10
Sony TA-F770ES - All the bass depth and punch you could want, super smooth midrange and treble but not the most detailed in the treble/soundstage. 7.5/10
Denon PMA-2000AE - Pretty much like the 770ES but even more refined/laid back in the mid range. Effortless power. 7/10
Amptastic TA-2020 T-Amp - Fast, Open and great soundstage but lacking in bass depth and a bit thin in the mid-range. 7/10
Sony TA-F670ES - Like the 770ES but without the effortless power. 6.5/10
Teac A-H01 - Simmilar to the TA2020. With a bit more power at the expense of a bit of midrange and bass speed but more refined treble and bass depth. 6.5/10
Bantam Gold - Much like the A-H01 IMO but not as open in the mid-range. 6/10
Teac A-BX7R - Great all rounder, nothing stands out. 6/10
Rega Brio3 - Nice midrange but slightly graiting treble and weak bass. 6/10
Arcam AVR200 - Nice open and fast midrange but overall a bit 'meh' 6/10
Sony TA-F448E - Very 'Meh', made noise, thats about it. 3/10

What I would really like is the Midrange, Speed, Soundstage and overall WOW factor of the Decware with just 2/3rds the bass prowess and punch of the 770ES/PMA-2000AE and I would be happy. Answers on a postcard.
pray.gif
(and under £500)

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Quad 44 does everything I need/want.

It has all the inputs I need.

Very flexible control unit.

Cyrus SmartPower power amps have plenty of power but do not scale well as impedance halves.

When bi-amping my Mission 782's the one driving the low frequencies would cut out sometimes!

Ended up using them in mono mode. Since then they have never cut out and have been capable of driving 3 different sets of speakers with ease.

Overall sound from this combo:

Lots of detail and subtle parts of the recording come through but without drawing attention to those parts of the music. The music flows nicely and cohesively. Not at all harsh but has a bit of sparkle when its supposed to be there. Bass generally good, could be a bit tighter. Having said that, I'm using small speakers and this room has always had bass issues. Sound good at low volumes and can go uncomfortably loud without strain in there current environment and configuration.

Quad 44 – 5 out of 5

Cyrus SmartPower – 4 out of 5

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
In isolation in my frontroom they sound superb - alot bigger than they look. I have discovered recently they need an amp with muscle 100watt or so and a PSU that can dig out current when needed. Everyone who I have bored with a demo walk around the room looking for hidden speakers suprised at their clarity and mid range weight - then run their hands over the side firing woofer - don't ask me why.

If they have a fault it is outside the sweet spot they can sound boomy. But inside it they were worth the spend. if you can get them the 'right ' distance apart you should give them an airing.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
The Rotel 1520 I can't for the life of me see how this amp got 5stars from what hifi, its average at best. its inability to seperate individual strands of your music becomes pretty obvious after prolonged listening, and it fails to fill in those bits between the upper midrange, lower HF's, lower midrange and LF's making music sound compressed. it robs ambience and space from music at normal listening levels- low recorded material is actually helped when its pushed to 10 o'clock on the volume dial but not well recorded material (the lack of detail)

after leaving it on for 2weeks, with signal running through it, re-configuring the wireing to the speakers (which did help initially) it just settles down to a lackluster delivery that lacks life and body. A suspect its replacement will get a 'sounds so much better than its predessesor' in its WHFsv review.

I do think it would pass if the genre of music you enjoy does not require fidelity, its loud enuff and looks good but ultimately it lacks the secret ingrediaaaarnnnt.

Verdict

for:

Looks good in the rack (black version)

against

Not musical, Over priced at RRP

conclusion

an immature sounding amp.

score 2.5 out of 5

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
It's probably the best amp I've ever owned so to my ears it's worth a 5, but compared to something far more exotic that I have absolutely no experience of, it's probably worth only a 2. Truth is I'd probably need to drop quite a lot of cash on something new that's as good.

Rethep

May 2, 2011
Visit site
I have been using this amp for 1,5 year now. I had to get used to the sound for some time. It is a real valve sound very spacious and sweet, which mostly gives a very exciting captivating, listening experience. I hear a lot of new things in the music. Because the midfreq. are not emphasized it gives a very balanced sound. Vocals are really amazing, depth of space is sometimes unbelievable, Very unfatigueing and coherent sound.
Although it is the best amp i ever had, and i am very satisfied with it, i know there are some (much more expensive,) better valve-amps which give a bit more dynamics and stronger bass. So 4,5 stars. Considering the price it is a bargain (5 stars).

Prev amps: Pioneer SA 500A, Sony TA 3650, Harman Kardon PM 665 Vxi, Audio Innovations Classic 25 (valve).

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Sugden Masterclass IA-4

The IA-4 is an amp that only delivers 30W per channel, but it's 30W of pure quality!

It possesses a smooth textured warm musical sound. With a broad soundstage. Sweet detailed treble, liquid mids, the base may not be as deep as some would like, but what it does have is superbly tight and controlled.

Excellent at all listening levels.

Downside; being class A it runs pretty hot.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Macspur said:
Sugden Masterclass IA-4

The IA-4 is an amp that only delivers 30W per channel, but it's 30W of pure quality!

It possesses a smooth textured warm musical sound. With a broad soundstage. Sweet detailed treble, liquid mids, the base may not be as deep as some would like, but what it does have is superbly tight and controlled.

I'm stealing this for the MF AMS 35i (except for the bass bit), as it saves me writing it out again!

Cheers Mac

Cno

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Macspur said:

always look on the bright side of life! instead of making it a downside make it an asset! class A owners get to have an electric heater as an extra which definitely comes in handy during the cold time of year - ie. during the bigger part of the year.

:)

The Leema Pulse is deffo 6/5 for the price I paid. It really is a no brainer for £750 for a new unit.

Unlike some reviews I don't find it forward or over bright. It does have a 'edge' to it, which I like. It's so zesty yet subtle and refined when needed. The only caveat is it CAN be a little tricky to get the matching components right. If it was still at the last original retail price (£1280, I think) and potential matching issues then I'd mark it 4/5.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Macspur said:
Sugden Masterclass IA-4

I'm stealing this for the MF AMS 35i (except for the bass bit), as it saves me writing it out again!

Cheers Mac

Cno

Yep, for IA-4 read the same for the MF AMS35I, but more of everything.

Mac

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Icon Audio LA3 / Audion Sterling Plus (KT120)

I will review these together. This combo gets very, very close to the Decware Zen in the midrange and soundstage but with the extra bass grip/control in abundance. This may be my final, perfect amp combo. In short 9/10

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
My system is in my signature, it has not changed significantly in the past 6 months and I only started building it around easter last year. Then it was a PC, a whole load of CD's and a pair of Yamaha active computer speakers and a Rotel 820 amp . . . How far has one come, the vinyle records, 820 and LB1's come from a previous live that I had forgotten about along with the said items in the loft.

As I had no itention of buying a new pair of speakers, the system was built around them. The final offering is smooth, delicate and powerfull in equale measure in my small 12'x12' music study.

The thread is; 'review your amp' . . . The Croft Intigrated Valve Hybrid amp was purchased on reputation, recomendation and a convincing demonstration using my speakers, they were the perfect match. I have since spent much time hunting out verious bits and pieces in the used market, only the CDp and amp are new, the rest listed are either 'original old' or 'old in original concept'.

Through this constant change and adition, the Croft has simpley expanded to reveal good or bad alowing a true hifi system to emerge, to the point where a very large sum IMHO, would need to be spent to make a meaningfull forward improvement.

My rating of the Croft is '5* with honours' . . . which in real terms relates to a ballanced system, to which I enyjoy listening, long may it continue.

CJSF

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts