Revamping speakers

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have a lovely set of B&W DM601's and DM603's that are in perfect condition. I don't know how these stack up sonically with today's speakers, but I just thought to myself - can these be 'upgraded' inexpensively instead of buying new?

Well that's the question; and in our recycling conscious society, maybe this is an area that speaker manufacturers should pay more attention too, it could actually become quite a lucrative market.

Cheers

Graeme

A

Anonymous

Thats a good question. I love my original B&W 602s even though the sound is a bit rich and misses out on the midband somewhat. I had new tweeters fitted a while ago after a "friends" child stuck his fingers through them. would love to upgrade them but I doubt I could. Thats what I like about Cyrus kit (apart from the sound) - you can always upgrade.

strobo

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Some years ago I turned the bass/mid drivers in my Tannoy M1's through 180§ and found a slight improvement in sound. I guess they settle after a while, and turning them over like that breathes a little more life back into them. That's the cheapest upgrade I know of for older gear.

I reckon mine must be due for doing again.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="roybatty"]I have a lovely set of B&W DM601's and DM603's that are in perfect condition. I don't know how these stack up sonically with today's speakers[/quote]

If they sounded good with your system it doesn't matter how old they are!
I recently heard a Linn Majik amp (3 stars rated here!)...10 years old but wow what a sweet sound.

Old is doesn't mean bad, imo.

A

Anonymous

I think it might be that the cones/coils sag due to gravity, so turning upside down has been known to improve old speakers a bit. Or I might be wrong.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="oldphrt"]Having compared them I think the early 600s sound better than the newer ones.[/quote]

Q. How many hi-fi enthusiasts does it take to change a lightbulb?

A. Three. One to change it and the other two to stand around discussing whether the old lightbulb was actually better, albeit almost imperceivably so...

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Andrew Everard"]
[quote user="oldphrt"]Having compared them I think the early 600s sound better than the newer ones.[/quote]

Q. How many hi-fi enthusiasts does it take to change a lightbulb?

A. Three. One to change it and the other two to stand around discussing whether the old lightbulb was actually better, albeit almost imperceivably so...

[/quote]

The answer is 4!

One to change it and the other two to stand around discussing whether the old lightbulb was actually better.......plus the other one that said it's not a light that we are seeing, it's a placebo effect......your eyes play trick with you
emotion-4.gif

A

Anonymous

Hi,

What are these and how do I get hold of them? (Ithought Jimmy Hughes was a song writer?)

Cheers

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts