[Resolved] Advice on speakers

pyromilkz

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
[Edit: I finally got myself:

- A SMSL SA-50 T-amp (~65€)

- Eltax Monitor III speakers (got them second hand for 75€, they're almost new)

I'm happy about the sound and would recommend them to anyone looking for a decent HiFi system.

Thanks all for your help.]

Hello,

I want to get myself a pair of speakers in order to enjoy my music (CDs and FLACs). The speakers will be connected to a Fiio E10 DAC (didn't buy it yet) which has a headphone amp, and be placed in my average-sized room.

That means I need either an external amp + speakers, or speakers with an internal amp. The latter suits me the most because my budget is tight, 100€ approximatively (~$100).

Right now, I have no idea of what kind of speakers to choose. There's many choices:

- PC speakers, but as far as I understood they are not the best choice for good sound quality, is that right? What do you think about Bose Companion 2 for example?

- Stereo systems. With my budget I can't get a new decent one, so I was thinking about getting an old used one. Do their sound quality deteriorate over the time?

- Monitoring speakers. They're also expensive, so I can get two used ones. But are they "good" for music listening? (getting a new Hercules XPS 2.0 80 DJ Monitoring is in my budget though)

- An external amp with a pair of second hand speakers (like this or this)

I need some expert insight about the points mentioned above, and some advice about models of speakers I can get with my tight budget.

What would you do if you were in my shoes?

Thank you very much.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
I think that active speakers often sound better and more enjoyable than equivalently priced passive hifi speakers as they tend to have more dynamic range and better clarity. There are a lot of rubbish sounding active monitors around at the €100 price mark though.

If you can visit a pro-audio shop and have a listen for yourself Yamaha, Behringer and Studio Spares make good quality budget active speakers so these are worth looking out for.

If you decide to go for regular passive hifi speakers then Q Acoustics are a safe bet and you can find some good second hand bargains on eBay.

AL13N

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
With a 100 Euro budget I'd recommend listening to the Yamaha NX50.

These feature both integrated amplification and single driver/crossoverless design. With such a small budget it's a good idea to keep things as simple as possible to get the most quality for your money.

In the UK, Superfi sell them for £74 with free delivery. With a well distributed brand like Yamaha I'm sure you could find some at a similar price in Europe.

pyromilkz

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
steve_1979, I will see if I can visit an audio shop. But I doubt I'll find anything in my budget in there.

I checked the prices of Q Acoustics, and the cheapest costs more than the double of my budget. :/

AL13N, the reviews scare me, most of people say they're good for TV usage, but not for music.

AL13N

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
Teufel have some interesting options.

http://www.teufelaudio.co.uk/pc/pc-stereo20.html?PHPSESSID=2dbb7195f27714423ac22407f766d60c

The Concept B 20 Mk2 cost more than the Yamaha and are a little over your budget but are a lot more powerful - 40W p/c (10W HF/30W LF) compared to the Yamaha's 7W p/c output.

They also come with many benefits - direct sales, 8 week trial, extended guarantee.

http://www.teufelaudio.co.uk/vorteile.html

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
pyromilkz said:
steve_1979, I will see if I can visit an audio shop. But I doubt I'll find anything in my budget in there.

I checked the prices of Q Acoustics, and the cheapest costs more than the double of my budget. :/

It may be worth keeping an eye on these Q Acoustics 1010i and 2010 speakers to see how high the bidding goes. If you get lucky you might be able to bag yourself a bargin. Used together with a cheap second hand £30-50 amplifier from Cambridge Audio, Marantz or similar they should sound pretty good for the price.

If you can live with the cheap plasticy looks Logitech offer good value computer speakers. These Logitech Z623 are hard to beat for £100. Lots of volume and bass and the sound quality is surprisingly good for the price.

pyromilkz

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
It may be worth keeping an eye on these Q Acoustics 1010i and 2010 speakers to see how high the bidding goes. If you get lucky you might be able to bag yourself a bargin. Used together with a cheap second hand sub £50 amp from Cambridge Audio, Marantz or similar they should sound pretty good for the price.

The first is a UK only bet, the second is for parts only. But thank you for searching.

I'll be looking for the same models.

What do you think about this amp?

steve_1979 said:
If you can live with the cheap plasticy looks Logitech offer good value computer speakers. These Logitech Z623 are hard to beat for £100. Lots of volume and bass and the sound quality is surprisingly good for the price.

I'll keep them in mind even though I try to avoid PC speakers.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
pyromilkz said:
The first is a UK only bet, the second is for parts only. But thank you for searching.

Ooops sorry, I didn't notice that. :oops:

pyromilkz said:
What do you think about this amp?

It looks ok but I've never heard it so can't really say.

There aren't any cheap Yamaha, Behringer or Studio Spares monitors on eBay at the moment but it may be worth keeping an eye out to see what comes up over the next few weeks.

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
Have you looked at the M-Audio AV-40?

I don't think you'll get much better for £99. Very well reviewed wherever you look.

I have some in the kitchen for TV, Radio and music from my laptop now and again.

pyromilkz

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
pauln said:

I don't think you'll get much better for £99. Very well reviewed wherever you look.

I have some in the kitchen for TV, Radio and music from my laptop now and again.

Hi,

Yes I noticed them while searching for speakers but I don't know how well they'd work for music listening; aren't they a bit too accurate?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Your budget is seriously tight. I use these, Studiospares/Seiwin SN4, a shade over £100 in the UK.

The bigger 5a model is better still for about £10-12 extra.

All slightly over budget but at this price a few pounds makes a big difference. These are full active designs, not to be confused with less good powered speakers that are the norm at this sort of price.

They can be mail ordered from Studiospares in north London unless you are somewhere really difficult.

pyromilkz

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
davedotco said:
Your budget is seriously tight. I use these, Studiospares/Seiwin SN4, a shade over £100 in the UK. The bigger 5a model is better still for about £10-12 extra. All slightly over budget but at this price a few pounds makes a big difference. These are full active designs, not to be confused with less good powered speakers that are the norm at this sort of price. They can be mail ordered from Studiospares in north London unless you are somewhere really difficult.

Thank you for you suggestion but these are so out of my budget. I'll think about them if ever I wait a bit and have a bigger budget.

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
pyromilkz said:
pauln said:

Hi,

Yes I noticed them while searching for speakers but I don't know how well they'd work for music listening; aren't they a bit too accurate?

Isn't that the idea?

Anyway, they are great with music.

pyromilkz

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
pauln said:
pyromilkz said:
pauln said:

Hi,

Isn't that the idea?

Anyway, they are great with music.

That's the idea indeed, but I've read here and there that they're sometimes so accurate they show recording flaws, but... that's a stupid thinking.

If they're great with music than I can consider getting a pair.

I'll keep my eyes on (passive) speakers on online listings and come back to you if I have any question.

Thanks everyone for your answers.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
pauln said:
davedotco said:
Your budget is seriously tight. I use these, Studiospares/Seiwin SN4, a shade over £100 in the UK.

That's a shade over £100 each...

No, thats a pair.

The three Studiospares/Seiwin monitors, the SN4, the 5a and the 6a are seriously inexpensive, £89, £99 and £114 per pair ex vat. Outstanding performance for little more than beer money. The SN4 are really for the desktop, the others need proper stands.

They come out of china here....

http://www.seiwin.com/product_y.php

I have the PM4, sold as the SN4 by Studiospares, a friend has the ST6a, just called the 6a.

Seiwin%20Monitor%20set.jpg

Mine are identicle to this, minus the Seiwin badge. Check here....

http://www.studiospares.com/headphones+speakers/studio-monitors/icat/heastudiomonitors

AL13N

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
[quote:pyromilkz]

[Update: I'm 99% sure I'll get this Lepai external amp, now I'm looking for (second hand) speakers. My budget is 100€.][/quote]

Wharfedale Diamond 9.1

http://www.superfi.co.uk/p-2442-wharfedale-diamond-91-speakers-pair.aspx

Slightly above your budget brand new but would definitely be within your budget second hand. Below is a positive review by Stereophile (with measurements):

http://www.stereophile.com/content/wharfedale-diamond-91-loudspeaker-measurements

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
AL13N said:
[quote:pyromilkz]

[Update: I'm 99% sure I'll get this Lepai external amp, now I'm looking for (second hand) speakers. My budget is 100€.]

Wharfedale Diamond 9.1

http://www.superfi.co.uk/p-2442-wharfedale-diamond-91-speakers-pair.aspx

Slightly above your budget brand new but would definitely be within your budget second hand. Below is a positive review by Stereophile (with measurements):

http://www.stereophile.com/content/wharfedale-diamond-91-loudspeaker-measurements

[/quote]

Aren't all Stereophile reviews positive?

Recent problem with Wharfedale has been poor finish, check some WHF reviews and users opinions.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts