Require some advice for new speakers

Phx123

Apr 22, 2024
Visit site
Hi all,

First post here, and I am really looking for some advice for new speakers for my PC / Home office setup.

Unfortunately, I have pretty bad tinnitus which reacts badly to tinny sounding speakers, along with hyperacusis which means I can't listen at very high volumes due to the pain it causes.

What I am looking for is a set of speakers which wont trigger by tinnitus due to poor quality, but also needs to be good at lower volumes. The PC is located in its own room, (fairly small) but desk and floor space isn't an issue.

I am looking to spend anywhere from around £300-£600 ideally.

I am quite new to looking at speakers and what I need may not be possible, but would appreciate aby advice or suggestions you may have!

Thanks

Hello, and welcome to the forum.

I’m sorry to read about your hearing issue. It must be distressing. What you can tolerate may be extremely personal to you, so I think it’s essential you look, try and listen to some options.

These Ruark are long-recommended speakers for the type of use you describe. If you actually have a regular Hifi amplifier then there may rather more options. Please list the rest of the kit and what size you can accommodate.

Many alternatives listed in the magazine section.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phx123

oxidising

Apr 16, 2024
Visit site
I recently bought a Fosi Audio BTA20 and some Acoustic Energy AE100 MK2 speakers which are quite nice on my desk. Alternatively some Dali Oberon 1 speakers with the Fosi Audio ZA3 would be good. Otherwise I think active speakers are often recommended.

Reactions: Phx123

Rodolfo

Jul 31, 2023
Visit site
Welcome!

This is probably a surprising recommendation, but it's worked surprisingly well for my desk setup with two Intel NUCs and a single monitor on a 70"/178cm-wide solid wood desk, for more than two years now. It was my first-ever Bose purchase, a SoundLink Revolve (Series II) which I first heard at my KEF-man nephew's house. It is Bluetooth, it is actually a battery-operated/rechargeable single speaker, and it connects automatically when I turn on either NUC, announcing it's connected and its remaining battery life. I will acknowledge that I don't have very high requirements or expectations for desktop speakers: I like a very nice sound, but not necessarily "Hi-Fi", which is why Bluetooth is also sufficient. I have mine set up centrally, under my monitor, and the fidelity is -again- surprisingly NICE. I'm currently listening to Charles Brown's These Blues CD, just through my desktop CD drive, and his nice voice and piano, along with the accompanying guitar, sax, bass, and drums all sound nice at the modest volume level that I prefer at my desk -not as background music, but as impressive musical sounds of nice recordings. I control the volume easily through my bluetooth keyboard.

I also suggest it because I recommended it to a friend who also has hearing problems, and she likes it very much. She likes that she can locate it where she likes, and stream her FLAC files or stream whatever, whenever.

The only rubs are that I do have to recharge it once a week or two, that it uses micro-USB -which sort of bothered me the first week or two, and that it charges surprisingly slowly -I leave it one overnight. But, I do like the nice adaptable sound and its net convenience.

Enjoy trialing options, best of luck at identifying what works well for you, and do let us know what did.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts