Replacing/upgrading from MF A1

huddo

Nov 13, 2007
Visit site
As this is my first post let me say hello, have spent qiute abit of time lurking, reading etc but I now have a question which I need answering.

After many many years of service I'm considering upgrqading from my faithful Musical Fidelity A1 amplifier, am thimking in particular about replacing it with a Roksan Kandy (although haven't heard one yet) Would it be a worthwhile upgrade ?? What differences should I hear. What I'm really asking is should I even be thinking about replacing it, it still works fine, but after many years I've been able to put my speakers exactly where they should be and I'm spending alot of time listening to music again. Rest of system is a Technics SL-PS670A cd player and a pair of Kef Q35 speakers, please let me know what you think. Thanks very much.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Fred Scuttle"][quote user="gregory"]keep the amp and speakers and get a better cd.[/quote]

Agreed.[/quote]

Here too....classic amp.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Andrew Everard"]Musical Fidelity X-Ray, perhaps, for the same dosh or less.[/quote]

£320 - £370....sort after... that Oval looking thing.

huddo

Nov 13, 2007
Visit site
the A1 is still regarded as being that good then ?? Looks like replace the Technics it is then, what sort of improvement can I expect from a better CDP ?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Thaiman"]I bet it will go for £320+. Cheap considering some technology are borrow from the awesome Trivista.[/quote]

Agreed. A bargain for that sort of money.

huddo

Nov 13, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Andrew Everard"]
Marantz CD6002 at £280 or so, or a NAD C542 for about the same money. Or a secondhand Musical Fidelity X-Ray, perhaps, for the same dosh or less.

[/quote]

How about a Marantz CD63 SE KI theres one on flea bay at the mo for £77..............................

huddo

Nov 13, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Thaiman"]anything less than £120 is a bargain! Going price is £135 - £160 (MK2, boxed, mint with remote and certificate)[/quote]

What is it equal to in modern machine terms ??? Been looking today at the like of Arcam, Marantz cd6001 and Rotel, please advise, ta

A

Anonymous

[quote user="huddo"]
am thinking in particular about replacing it with a Roksan Kandy (although haven't heard one yet)

[/quote]

why would you think that if you've never heard one i.e. what's special about Roksan in the looks/price department? Synergy matters so why not try an MF CD player with your A1?

A

Anonymous

I used to love my A1, until it was time to clean the dust out of the ridges on the heatsink/lid. D'oh.

Come to think of it, it was an A100. That'll be why it broke then
emotion-5.gif

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="huddo"]Been looking today at the like of Arcam, Marantz cd6001 and Rotel, please
advise, ta[/quote]

If Andrew "the ultimate guide" Everard is currently own one of those then it can't be that bad.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Thaiman"][quote user="huddo"]Been looking today at the like of Arcam, Marantz cd6001 and Rotel, please
advise, ta[/quote]

If Andrew "the ultimate guide" Everard is currently own one of those then it can't be that bad.[/quote]

One of what? I've still got a CD-63 KI-S, and although the drawer has become very screamy, the sound of the player in action remains superb.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Andrew Everard"]I've still got a CD-63 KI-S[/quote]

That's the one I mean! I took the headphone connection out (muting circuit) and sound even better...it does go click and pop when turn on/off though.

huddo

Nov 13, 2007
Visit site
Had a listen to the marantz cd6002, Rotel and Arcam 73 yesterday (although not through my amp and speakers) and I must admit that I was slightly disapointed that none of them "blew my socks off" was lisitening using a pair of MA floorstanders and a MF pre and power amp, dont know the model numbers. I was really expecting to be impressed but came away a little deflated. The store had several CD that are in my collection so I was listening to stuff I know.

I did book an appointment for next friday, I'm taking my amp and speakers and some of my own discs, could some one give me some advice on the best way to conduct an audition of a new CD player for my system ? (hope that doesn't sound like a studid question). I'm not sure that I can now justify spending £500 if I'm not going to be blown away by the improvement, might just stick to what I've got.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Andrew Everard"]
£113 so far with no reserve here.

[/quote]

It went for £426.00
emotion-2.gif

huddo

Nov 13, 2007
Visit site
Just an update, had an appointment at Sevenoaks in Norwich today to audition the Marantz Cd6002 Rotel RCD-06 Arcam CD73 and a Creek Evo CD players using my MF A1 and Kef Q35s, after listening to all of the listed I decided on the Creek (rightly or wrongly I really thought it gave me the sound I was after, how ever I was still sitting there thinking (as you do when sitting in a hi-fi shop demo room) I wonder what it would sound like if I changed the speakers. Phil (the very helpfull but NOT pushy advisor' I'll use that word because at no point did he try to sell me anything) suggested I could listen to some monitor audio set ups if I fancied seeing what my chosen source could sound like given the opportunity.

Well the smile which spead across my face must have said it all after about 30 secs of a track from the Ray Charles Genius loves company CD with the Monitor Audio RS6's connected up............sold says I, cant believe how good they sound, only down side is I had to come away without any as they have got to order the wood finish of my choice.

Roll on Tuesday (should be able to pick then !!) Sorry for rambling but had such a great day trying out all sorts of combinations, am very pleased with the sound achieved. Thanks again to Phil @ Sevenoaks Norwich (hope its OK to mention good service recieved)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts