Replacing Sony STRDG820 (Sky + HD problem) - What do you recommend?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi, I had the STRDG820 for a couple of months but due to problems with HDMI and Sky+ HD it has gone back. Now I am left with a no receiver and a conundrum what to get as it seems perhaps the HDMI problem is known and not fixable with the 820. Advice and suggestions all most welcome :)

My setup is

Sony KDL46W4500 TV

Kef IQ5 SE fronts with 1st gen silver Kef eggs for surround / centre and a Kef sub.

I use Xbox 360, Sky+ HD and Sony BDP3350 Blu-ray all HDMI connected.

Music listened to is mainly rock.

In the price band of the 820 I can't really see anything as good so would stretch to 400-500 if its worth it. Also i'm aware there are new Yamaha models coming (not sure about Sony though).

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
It is fixable with the 820 - it's a known problem which I thought had been fixed with all the products out there on the market.

Your retailer should be aware of the fix, or you should contact Sony customer service on 08705 111999.

A

Anonymous

Hi Andrew, thanks for the advice. The firmware on my unit was 1.4 and I know there was newer and told Richer Sounds in case it was this causing the problem but they said the fault with my unit couldn't be fixed (fault with the main PCB) , they offered a replacement but not until sometime in June as they don't have any in stock (I think there is a UK shortage of this model so not their fault) so I requested a refund as I don't really want to be without a receiver for potentially the next 4 to 6 weeks (I had forgotten how bad the sound is from TV speakers :)

Richer Sounds have been great by the way as always

So back to my original question, what do you think are the best options for my setup? :)

Thanks

Martin

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
The obvious Sony contender - the STR-DA2400ES - seems to be in short supply, but it might be worth phoning around a bit, and the same seems to apply to the Yahama 763 and 863, both of which are in the process of being replaced.

The alternative would be the Onkyo TX-SR606 or 607, both of which will fit your budget, or seek out a good deal on a TX-SR875.

A

Anonymous

Hi

How about the Marantz SR5003, or the Yamaha 565 (which should be available this month)? Why have WHF not reviewed the SR5003?

A

Anonymous

Hi Andrew, thanks for the suggestions - my main obstacle now is that What Hifi has trained me well and I only like to buy 5 star equipment these days so If I can't locate one of the outgoing models I may have to wait for a new range to come out and get reviewed :)

Seriously though I will check the Onkyo out even though they may be 4 stars.

Martin

A

Anonymous

It is strange, by sending you a product (assuming whichever company has confidence that it is good) to review most companies can get some great free PR and thus lots of extra sales, if you even ask them to supply a review model and they don't that is plain short sighted - no-one with any sense would buy an expensive receiver without doing research and I never do without checking the mag first. If it aint in the mag it aint in my living room.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts