replacing rotel ra 840 amplifier

dbg

Mar 28, 2016
Visit site
Hi.

I've got an old rotel ra 840 amplifier which I'm looking to replace with a new unit. Can anyone recommend a modern equivilant that would give the same sound quality? What sort of price range would I be looking at? One potential snag is that it would need to be the same size or smaller, since my hifi cabinet is homemade for a perfect fit.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
dbg said:
Hi.

I've got an old rotel ra 840 amplifier which I'm looking to replace with a new unit. Can anyone recommend a modern equivilant that would give the same sound quality? What sort of price range would I be looking at? One potential snag is that it would need to be the same size or smaller, since my hifi cabinet is homemade for a perfect fit.

Welcome to these forums
Can you please provide the measurements of your amp?

It would also be helpful tell us what speakers you have and room size.

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Hi, I think it would probably be best not to squeeze an amp into a small space but give a greater amount of ventilation, especially on top. I first had a look at the Rotel RA-10 but don't think it will fit. The Creek 50A should fit though so you could try that. Bt the way, I'm going by the size of the Rotel RA-840 specs so no idea what your actual cabinet size is.

dbg

Mar 28, 2016
Visit site
amp measurements are 430 x 299 x about 120mm. room size is about 5 x 6m. there is a little extra room depth wise. the height can be varied. at the moment the amp is stacked with a tuner on top. theres still a couple of cm above this. the tuner can probably come out though as i dont believe its been used in years and im not sure if its working.
speakers are bose 101s

rainsoothe

I think the Creek 50A is a good suggestion, and should sound pretty similar with your old Rotel. And so is the Rotel RA10 if you can fit it.

If you wanna overhaul, look at Naim 5si, and change the speakers to XTZ 93.23 mk2, Dynaudio stuff or Focal Aria 906.

rmatthew

Feb 19, 2016
Visit site
Al ears said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi dbg

Also look at discontinued amplification and the NAD C320BEE.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

The NAD is slightly wider than his Rotel but not by much (5mm) it is not as high though.

I have a NAD320BEE which I just upgraded to the Abrahamsen and it is 435 x 115 x 320 (including speakers binding posts).

rmatthew said:
Al ears said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi dbg

Also look at discontinued amplification and the NAD C320BEE.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

The NAD is slightly wider than his Rotel but not by much (5mm) it is not as high though.

I have a NAD320BEE which I just upgraded to the Abrahamsen and it is 435 x 115 x 320 (including speakers binding posts).

Yep, that's right.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts