Replacing Rega RS5s

goalhanger

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
In need of your expert guidance ....

My Rega RS5s are currently relagated to the garage due to my significant other unhappy with their size in the lounge . I also am unable to position them correctly . Either side of bookcase and 10" to a chimney breaast on one side is not ideal for side facing bass driver. I also found them a little 'thin' at times but this may be due to the Marantz PM6003 or more likely the old Philips CDP . When using the SL-B2+VMS20E it seems fine. Speaker cable is Rega Quattro. ( Also considering the Marantz CD6005 @ £239 which may help my system in general)

So im looking for shorter, thinner floor standers, but not fixed on that .

I also have some old Diesis ( Ruark) bookshelves which I always liked , similar sound to older Spendors , although obvioulsy not as good. So thought maybe Spendor S5e's as they work well in tight spaces and against walls .I think A5s will be too expensive . Both the Marantz and the RS5s were 2nd hand so im hoping to get them that way.

Any suggestions ?

My other halfs question - why dont the speaker manufacturers make the veneer/vinyl cover in acceptable finishes - who has cherry furniture , or even chestnut ?? i even thought once about re-veneering the RS5s in case that enable them to sneak back in from the garage .......

Thanks,

Phil

goalhanger said:
In need of your expert guidance ....

My Rega RS5s are currently relagated to the garage due to my significant other unhappy with their size in the lounge . I also am unable to position them correctly . Either side of bookcase and 10" to a chimney breaast on one side is not ideal for side facing bass driver. I also found them a little 'thin' at times but this may be due to the Marantz PM6003 or more likely the old Philips CDP . When using the SL-B2+VMS20E it seems fine. Speaker cable is Rega Quattro. ( Also considering the Marantz CD6005 @ £239 which may help my system in general)

So im looking for shorter, thinner floor standers, but not fixed on that .

I also have some old Diesis ( Ruark) bookshelves which I always liked , similar sound to older Spendors , although obvioulsy not as good. So thought maybe Spendor S5e's as they work well in tight spaces and against walls .I think A5s will be too expensive . Both the Marantz and the RS5s were 2nd hand so im hoping to get them that way.

Any suggestions ?

My other halfs question - why dont the speaker manufacturers make the veneer/vinyl cover in acceptable finishes - who has cherry furniture , or even chestnut ?? i even thought once about re-veneering the RS5s in case that enable them to sneak back in from the garage .......

Thanks,

Phil

What's your budget going to be for these speakers?

Some manufacturers have more of a veneer choice than others but most offer the standard colours they always have, pure white tend to fit in well in modern homes and piano black is popular. Having said that you could get your old speakers painted professionally in any colour you like ;-)

goalhanger

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Hi , Well I dont think i'll get a lot for the RS5s as they were battered when I got them but with new Mids in both and new grilles still set me back less than £400 . So i suppose around £700 . I dont have to stick to any particular budget as such but I am a bit of a meanie :) . I am not too good at explaining the sound I like in Hi-fi terms , but I do like my old Diesis but they have a flattish soundstage ( I think ) and I like the Rega's depth of soundstage - does that make sense ? I recently got hold of some old Celestion Ditton 33's and re-capped the cross-over and replaced the tweeters and they sounded lovely - but again the soundstage was a bit flat . Is that a modern thing ? I played the wife's George Michaels Symphonia CD and 'Turn a different corner' on the Rega's and it made the hairs on my neck stand up !!!!

I do need to change to something smaller - or smaller looking ie. thinner like the Spendors. I keep going back to Spendor as when I auditioned speakers back in the 70's the shop switched to Spendors by accident! and when I said they were marvelous he said try the Diesis - albeit still more than I wanted to spend at the time.

I am also aware that I am using much cheaper electronics than these speakers deserve and so maybe an Amp upgrade will follow what ever the replacements are ;-)

Apologies for the rambling...

Thanks

goalhanger

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I wil also add that also love the sound of my Grado SR80i headphones . No idea what speaker manufacturer that would equate to ...............

goalhanger said:
I wil also add that also love the sound of my Grado SR80i headphones . No idea what speaker manufacturer that would equate to ...............

There are some Spendor S6e's on eBay at the moment but they are not exactly thin at 192mm wide. If you're thinking of buying standmounts there are also some Totem Rainmakers on there that are very good also, both around £450.

I would recommend the speakers I am currently selling but forum rules say I can't do that :) and they're top end of your budget anyway.

goalhanger

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I saw the S6e's and there are also some S5e's on but they are auction and havent got going yet ......

I wish there was a hi-fi show some where nearby but I understand the best one is Bristol . An overnighter for me .

Give me a hint .....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts