Replacing my old Pioneer PL-200 with PJ Debut Carbon

Shaggy

Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
Hey guys,

I'm thinking of getting myself a brand new turntable to replace my old Pioneer PL-200 player. It's just old, has problems with rpm stabillity, only uses a Rega Carbon rubbers are worn etc. been in my possesion since the 80's.
So I was thinking about getting myself a brandnew Pro-Ject Debut carbon wit the M2 Red cartridge. Now I know a lot of people hold on to vintage as being the pinnacle in quality build and audio, but of course there has been over 30 years of experience and modernisation in a newer generation like the Pro-Ject.

So, what do you think, get the PJ and enjoy a brandnew player or spend loads of money refurbishing a 30+ yr old player which in superb condition sells at e-bay for €50-100 at most perhaps.

What would you do?

Welcome to the forum!

I'm not sure that the Pioneer you have was ever anything special, though it has done well to last this long. I believe it is a direct drive, so there are no belts to wear.

Any new Project turntable will sound better, I would expect, and if you can stretch beyond the Ortofon Red, then so much the better. It can be upgraded with a Blue stylus, or your dealer might be able to suggest a package with a different cartridge. Pretty much the more you can afford the better it will be, certainly for anything under £1,000.

Presumably you have a suitable amplifier and speakers already?

Shaggy

Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
nopiano said:
Welcome to the forum!

Presumably you have a suitable amplifier and speakers already?

Thanks ;)

Yes i'm using a Denon 520 amp and only use headphones.

The Pioneer indeed is a direct drive, it's a good player but its just old and worn. So it should be a nice upgrade, and a better cartridge should come in the future :)

As its a direct drive and not keeping constant speed there's only one thing to do with it at that age.

Otherwise agree wholeheartedly with nopiano particularly regarding cartridge. You don't need to spend more money just get the turntable alone and fit a different cartridge of roughly the same price.

Shaggy

Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
Thanks both for the input. As for a different cartridge. The basic model costs €379 here, the model with the Ortofon Red costs €439, so for €60 I'm getting the Ortofon Red, which normally costs around €100 here. The Blue costs €200. my max to spend on the TT now is €450 so for now I think I'll go with the Red, since that should be an upgrade from my current Rega Carbon (AT-91).

Then in a later stage I am going to look for a better cartridge upgrade, perhaps even MC instead of MM.

Shaggy said:
Thanks both for the input. As for a different cartridge. The basic model costs €379 here, the model with the Ortofon Red costs €439, so for €60 I'm getting the Ortofon Red, which normally costs around €100 here. The Blue costs €200. my max to spend on the TT now is €450 so for now I think I'll go with the Red, since that should be an upgrade from my current Rega Carbon (AT-91).

Then in a later stage I am going to look for a better cartridge upgrade, perhaps even MC instead of MM.

That's fine just stick with MM as MC will not be a good idea with your amp.

Shaggy

Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for all the advise guys.

Got myself the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esrpit DC with the Ortofon M2-Red. What a differance... Sounds perfect, very happy :)

28821679554_6ebb78f1e2_c.jpg

TRENDING THREADS