which amp should I get to pair with project debut carbon turntable?

bluetrain

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

I just got myself a new Pro-ject debut carbon premium turntable and priviuosly I bought on eBay a second hand Q acoustics 2010i speakers and Pro-ject usb phono box 2. which amp should I get when I have a budget of 350€ (Germany) and obviusly my main goal here is to have the best sound I can get. should I go for a reciever without a phono stage and use the pro-ject phono box or buy a good amp with a phono stage? I was thinking about a new Pioneer A-30-K (has already phono stage) or a second hand CAD 326BEE (without a phono stage). what do you say? any other suggestions?

thanks!

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Out of the two I'd get the NAD.

350 Euros could also get you a s/h Cyrus 8vs2 if you are lucky. That's a considerable step up from the NAD and could form the basis of a good system. It is upgradeable with a PSX-R.

Failing all of the above I would source a Sony STR DB930 if you can find one. It is a formideable amplifier in stereo, with good DAC's and a very useable phono stage. People have compared it with Conrad Johnson Valve amplification. Supremely built unlike later Sony flagship Receivers.

I use both a cyrus system and the Sony above (in a slightly modified state) and could happily live with either if I could only have one.

Is the much loved Arcam A85. It's a very good amp indeed, and usually found on auction sites for around £250 ish. This is a taste of high end for budget money.

Have a read up on reviews and opinions.

TRENDING THREADS