REPLACING MY HI-FI SET UP WITH A HOME CINEMA SET UP

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi everyone this is my first post. I am currently in the process of revamping my house and I have come to the conclusion that It would be a lot neater if I could minimise the number of boxes of tricks I have. I'm hoping that I can find an 5.1 AV system that can match my current hi-fi setup for stereo sound.

My current system consists of a NAD C340 amp, a Yamaha CDR-HD1300mk2 CD hard drive recorder and a pair of Mission 781's mounted on Target floor stands. My room dimensions are approx. 4400mm long x 3200mm wide.

I have done a bit of research on the Internet and with what hi-fi magazine and am thinking of looking at a combination of Kefs KHT-2005.2 or KHT-3005 speakers with Onkyo's TX-SR505 or TX-SR605? and using a PS3 to run all the music and video.

My priority use for this system will still be listening to stereo music. Can anyone advise on an AV system that will match my current hi-fi setup. I have approx £1000 to spend. Any advise will be appreciated thanks xrefman.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Hi there, I think I'd have to say, if you're primary use is going to be listening to stereo music, but you want 5.1 for movies on the side, you'd be much better off not going for a style speaker package like the KEFs. I would build your system as if it's for Hi-Fi, then add some rear and centre speakers from the same manufacturer to fit round these. Personally, I'm going for the B&W 685s as my fronts and I'm going for a listen of 686s or M1s as rears (as my living room layout might not allow me to have the full size speakers as rears). This way, I know the 685s will be musically fantastic when needed in stereo, but it should also give me a fantastic 5.1 surround sound for movies.

A

Anonymous

I agree here. I recently sold my Naim 2 channel system to go home cinema. My first demo was with KEF style speakers. With music I was horrified and wondered what the hell I had gone and done. Then I listened to the MA Bronze set and the KEF IQSE set and my confidence returned. Tradditional speakers are the only way to go for music. I now have an Onkyo 705, PS3 & KEFIQ5SE system and I am more than happy for CD duties. It is no Naim system, but delivers a low level richness and warmth that I was looking for. In particular, if you use the direct mode on the amp, the saound is amazinggly good, far batter than I would ever have imagined the PS3 to be. I reckon it is on a par with a £250 each amp and cd player.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the advise i think the technology just isnt there yet as far as the speakers are concerned. I will have a listen tomorrow at sevenoaks and see what I think. Maybe I have to make the compromise as my house just hasnt the space for a full av setup. I will let you know what i think see yeh xrefman

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the advice I will go to Sevenoaks 2m and have a listen. it sounds like the speakers are going to be the only soft spot if i go for style.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="xrefman"]Thanks for the advice I will go to Sevenoaks 2m and have a listen. it sounds like the speakers are going to be the only soft spot if i go for style.[/quote]

I visited the local Sevenoaks store and his advise was much the same as yours that if I go for the style system I will lose out on the Hi-Fi quality. I was recommended the kef 3005.SE with a minimum spec receiver being onyko 705 as the best compromise on my budget. I would have to book if I wanted to listen to this set-up.

I have noticed AE do an on wall speaker on the site see link http://www.acoustic-energy.co.uk/E-Shop/index.asp?EnhanceA=PRODUCT%20DETAILS&RecordID=41. Its only 100mm in depth and I could purchase 5 of these for the same price ( no sub?) as the kef 3005 SE. My friend has the aelite two's and they sound good. I believe these speakers are like a low profile version. Anyone have any comments?.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Hi, there, I don't know about the AEs but I can tell you, I just picked up the following surround speakers from Sevenoaks this weekend:

B&W 685s for the fronts
B&W HTM62 centre
B&W M1 satellite rears

I combined this with my old Acouctics REL Q150E as the sub. I can tell you now - it's superb. This may be a little bit over budget for you (it was just under £1,100 including stands for fronts and rears, but with all room speaker cable thrown in for free), but it may help develop the ideas. It depends why you need to go for a style system really. In my case, I had to go for the M1 rears which are B&W's satellite "style" speakers which are used in the MT-30 package as my room layout just wouldn't allow me to have bigger boxier speakers behind the sofa. The sound from these little things is incredible though and it makes for perfect home cinema. The advantage is, you also get the B&W 685s as fronts which are very very good hi-fi speakers too for music.

So if you're in a similar situation i.e. where you just need smaller rears, this might be a way forward. You may also be able to combine this with a smaller centre from the MT-30 range if you need to keep the size down on this too - that way, your fronts don't get compromised for stereo, but you still have a great sounding home cinema set up.

Obviously I've based this on B&W as this is what I've bought, but I'm sure other manufacturers could offer a similar set up which you'd just need to listen to.

A

Anonymous

Hi there,

I spoke to the AE sales team today and they did me a deal on 5 on wall speakers at £625 and free delivery for Thursday. I could'nt say no. Just need to get the rest of the setup now. I will prob get the 605 or 705 av from onyko to drive them. and then see if i feel like i need a sub. thanks for your help.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts