Replacing a pair of Mission 760s

toneey.m

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
Hi all

I am a bit of an ain't broke don't fix it man but I'm starting to find the sound I get from my old Mission 760s a bit average when I compare the sound with the Kef Q100s I have on my other system. I realise "a bit average" is not a great description. They are still quite lively but I'm picking up flaws and they sound a bit to "flat" ?!

The seperates they are to be used with are NAD 3020e amp, Marrantz CD-63 so all entry level but going strong. I don't mind 2nd hand but there's a lot to choose from. So any input from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

I still have my 760s and they were ok in their day. Definitely were kind to rough recordings, or in the era I got them, glassy-sounding CDs. Today, they are a bit occluded but pleasant enough.

Q Acoustics would be a good choice for new, though there are some great offers around on models from Acoustic Energy and Boston, among others.

Used is way too varied to say, but as you like KEF then you could do worse than try some more.

matthewpiano

I always felt the 760s were better than most budget amps allowed them to be. On the end of a Pioneer A400 or better they could do impressive things. Before jumping I would suggest seeing how different they sound with your other amp. The NAD probably isn't entirely free from responsibility.

Good point, Matthew, though I had mine on the Krell for a couple of weeks when the sf were being fixed (new terminal blocks) and the character isn't much changed, though they certainly like a few watts!

I was taking the OP's point about his perception versus his KEFs.

Hope you are well!

toneey.m

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
Much appreciated for your comments..

I had been considering some vinatge Kef Codas and also Kef floor standing speakers although done enough research really to know whats best. I've not heard a lot of systems so its hard to sort the wood from the chaff. Also I wasn't looking at hifi kit from between the early 90s and about 2010 so who knows what has surfaced during that period!

Thanks

Tony

TRENDING THREADS